I grow more and more frustrated with Rod Marinelli

Anthonyscottua7

Reaction score
I have to agree with you... But I think with the signing of Bennett, this might change things for us. The line should be 100% better in turn so should the defensive backfield. I have been crying for a safety for the last few years, so we will see.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Does it get "bigger than picking the wrong guy on draft day"?
Well, another staff definitely would have played Taco.. we held him hostage, good player or not. Throw Trysten Hill in there, see if he sinks or swims. We probably won't know until year 3 with this staff.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. You love you some stats.

Of course he hasn't reached a finish line. But you're throwing a fit about sack totals over a handful of games. Have you been watching him? Are you seeing him, "sit back and coast"? He's not, in case you're wondering.

"Stats" trumps running your mouth with nothing every single time.

That's weird. I thought coaching mattered. Apparently players becoming more productive in DAL is just in spite of coaching. I mean, he hasn't reached 10 sacks in 4 years and has 6 in 5 games. I wonder how he would do if he actually had a good coach.

Then tell me how Rod got Quinn 19 sacks in 2013?

I'm confused.

That's apparent.

Your second sentence here sounds exactly like his mold in DAL.

Woods was the opposite of the Marinelli "mold". A short, squatty, powerful 1T.

Every team has JAGs. Marinelli works with what he has. He's not making final roster decisions. He's also shown he can develop players.

Bull****. You know and I know that he's played a huge role in the players that have come and gone here. Your attempt to rewrite history fails.

Vagueness is your friend. Next time you're staring at it, try to find something specific.

More like your hiding place. You have yet to bring a single fact to anything you're claiming here.

Lol. I didn't say you mentioned namecalling. I said you were partaking in it. Keep up.

Capability shouldn't be your concern, trust me. It's closer to not caring to address. Your tantrum here isn't exactly shouting, "I'm open to reasonable discussions."

No, but you'll chime into the thread just the same. Trying to take outside shots without having the guts or any ammunition to factually dispute anything being said in it.

As for "reasonable discussions" I'll gladly engage in any with anyone who will actually bring facts to dispute anything being said here. Instead I get potshots and cowardly snark with no teeth.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never said your entire argument was that he was hurt. You still are upset with him now being hurt nonetheless.

I'm "upset" with what is a proven screwup by this organization. He wasn't good before he went on IR.

Right about what? I'll see your Taco and raise you DLaw, Smith, and LVE.

Smith and LVE have what to do with this team's defensive line coach? Or are you now trying to give Rod credit for them too? Is this where desperation takes you?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can handle pretty much anything if its just a sport involved. I just don't melt down over an overpaid backup.

Actually, you "meltdown" at the sight of anything that isn't sunshine and rainbows. Don't try to have anyone believe otherwise. This isn't the first time, it's not the one hundredth time. Your patterns are quite well established.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Then tell me how Rod got Quinn 19 sacks in 2013?

The Rand Corporation.

iu

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Rand Corporation.

iu

Like I said, show your true colors once again, and the fact that you once again can't handle bad news, so you're forced to resort to attempts at mockery. Shoot the messenger because it's a message you're clearly not mature enough to discuss or deal with. Prove me right again and again and again.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Smith and LVE have what to do with this team's defensive line coach? Or are you now trying to give Rod credit for them too? Is this where desperation takes you?

You were talking about being right; you get one cookie and I get three. And as he is the DC he oversees the development of the entire defense so yes he does get credit there too.

I'm with you that he needs to be kept away from scouting players. I am just not going to ignore his track record in developing players.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Like I said, show your true colors once again, and the fact that you once again can't handle bad news, so you're forced to resort to attempts at mockery. Shoot the messenger because it's a message you're clearly not mature enough to discuss or deal with. Prove me right again and again and again.

Actually his argument was that Quinn hadn't been productive in 6 years and then you post his sack total from 6 years ago.

It was worthy of being mocked.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
After reflecting on yesterday's Jamal Adams trade deadline scramble, several things occurred to me.
  1. The idea that the Cowboys were willing to give up next year's 1st rounder as well as a 4th or 5th rounder for a safety represents a huge shift in prior thinking going back to the draft, when they passed on Juan Thornhill for everyone's favorite gameday inactive, Trysten Hill.
  2. Tyrone Crawford - after a poor start - is now on IR, along with the $10 million that the decision to keep him cost this team. His Cowboys career and NFL career entirely, likely over. And yet we heard and continue to hear how "valuable" and irreplaceable the guy was? Meanwhile, the defensive line continues to perform better when the guy isn't on the field?
  3. Taco Charlton. Exactly how many 2017 1st round picks have been released to this point without suspensions or injury being the reason? And again, who was it that overruled the scouts on draft day to draft Taco over TJ Watt.
With every one of these moves, and counter-moves needed as a result, I grow more and more frustrated with Rod Marinelli. I connect every one of this team's biggest faults, failings, and issues directly to decisions he was instrumental in making. And those are just the 'big three". We can also look at all of the disappointments that have come and go during his time here as well, like Cedric Thornton, Stephen Paea, Henry Melton, and plenty more.

I've simply had it with the guy and he's gone from being a top defensive line coach to a serious liability for this organization. They need to stop looking at the distant past and look at what this guy is doing now, and has done over the past several years here. Don't tell me about "Tampa and Chicago", tell me about "Dallas", that's the team I care about.

Like his mentor Monte Kiffin before him, this guy needs to go.

Marinelli got pantsed in our last two playoff losses.
Wasn't prepared for Rogers going hurry up.
Rams report they had tells on our dline, and we gave up 273 yards rushing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You were talking about being right; you get one cookie and I get three. And as he is the DC he oversees the development of the entire defense so yes he does get credit there too.

If you still think Marinelli is "the DC", you're even worse off than I thought.

I'm with you that he needs to be kept away from scouting players.

I'm glad we can at least agree on that.

I am just not going to ignore his track record in developing players.

I'm not "ignoring" it either, I'm looking at all of it and not just the parts that I like. The body of work here in Dallas and hits vs misses is not good.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually his argument was that Quinn hadn't been productive in 6 years and then you post his sack total from 6 years ago.

It was worthy of being mocked.[/QUOTE]

So 8.5 sacks in 2017 "isn't productive"? When people are propping up Tyrone Crawford?

That's "worthy of being mocked".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli got pantsed in our last two playoff losses.
Wasn't prepared for Rogers going hurry up.
Rams report they had tells on our dline, and we gave up 273 yards rushing.

And the resident homers are still trying to defend him.
But then again, these are the same clowns that couldn't bear the thought of moving on from Crawford.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If you still think Marinelli is "the DC", you're even worse off than I thought.

I'm glad we can at least agree on that.

I'm not "ignoring" it either, I'm looking at all of it and not just the parts that I like. The body of work here in Dallas and hits vs misses is not good.

He failed to develop Taco and Tapper. Gregory was playing at a high level. He succeeded with DLaw, Collins, Woods, LVE, Smith, Jones, Woods, Brown, Frazier, and Lewis. Awuzie and Armstrong are still works in progress.

You are -as usual- going by feel as opposed to reality.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Younger doesn't always equal better, but many of these throwback coaches, are no good for today's NFL. They don't know how, or refuse to adapt.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He failed to develop Taco and Tapper. Gregory was playing at a high level.

Was Gregory's pass rush ability ever in doubt? Did he need Marinelli to 'make him'? And for the record, he and Crawford were both abysmal against the run especially so in that Rams playoff loss, the last game Gregory played.

He succeeded with DLaw, Collins, Woods, LVE, Smith, Jones, Woods, Brown, Frazier, and Lewis. Awuzie and Armstrong are still works in progress.

You are -as usual- going by feel as opposed to reality.

No, you are "going by feel", and positions that Marinelli has nothing to do with. If not for Richard, Byron Jones is still Rod Marinelli's 'safety', remember?

And you mention Frazier? Where is he?

Seriously warping reality here.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Was Gregory's pass rush ability ever in doubt? Did he need Marinelli to 'make him'? And for the record, he and Crawford were both abysmal against the run especially so in that Rams playoff loss, the last game Gregory played.

No, you are "going by feel", and positions that Marinelli has nothing to do with. If not for Richard, Byron Jones is still Rod Marinelli's 'safety', remember?

And you mention Frazier? Where is he?

Seriously warping reality here.

Gregory improved over his time here. His handwork, strength, timing, and bend all noticeably improved. I don't recall those two being the issue. I was too busy watching Ross and the DTs get destroyed.

Frazier is on IR. And Marinelli is the DC. He oversees the development of all players on defense.

And then of course there is you ignoring all the other players I mentioned.