I Have A Hunch Jerry Has Seen Enuff

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
I was just reading an article about head coach's job security, and they had this to say about ours:

(Jerry) Jones has long said he wants (Jason) Garrett to be his Tom Landry.

Does that mean JJ's going to stab Garrett in the back? Or does that mean Ginger's going to be around for another 15 years?

rynochop

Reaction score
If Garrett was the great head coach you claim he is, then there would be no issues. Garrett gets hammered because of what he is and what he isnt. Its as simple as that. Its not the moderators fault that you cant see that or cant take it when the truth comes. In case you didnt notice we are 4-11. Not much positive is going to be said about this team in any fashion. Maybe losing doesnt hurt enough for you. Most of us here cant stand it.

I see reading comprehension isn't a strong suit as nowhere did I claim he's great, just being realistic of the situation. He's coming back, sorry
I'm talking about the same folks who turn every single thread to bash Garrett with cute one liners that add nothing of value to the thread, and when asked to name a replacement, can't. It's always a Bruce Arians or whoever 'type'

khiladi

Reaction score
I see reading comprehension isn't a strong suit as nowhere did I claim he's great, just being realistic of the situation. He's coming back, sorry
I'm talking about the same folks who turn every single thread to bash Garrett with cute one liners that add nothing of value to the thread, and when asked to name a replacement, can't. It's always a Bruce Arians or whoever 'type'

What are you talking about? There are plenty of viable opportunities. If you want to stay the same Coryell offense, you can make a run at Hue Jackson. Sean Payton is probably going to be available so you keep an eye out for him.
If you want to go young, I'd take a look at the Commanders OC, who from the Shanahan coaching tree and you wouldn't have to change the blocking schemes. The passing game is perfect for Romo and Dez.

rynochop

Reaction score
Uh, no thanks to the skins OC, I mean really? An assistant from a crap team winning a crappy division who will be bounced in the first round. I wouldn't even want the HC, or his brother for that matter. Payton's not happening for a myriad of reasons

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

why does someone have to name a replacement? Garrett is not a good coach, thats the point. Finding a suitable replacement is another matter. They are NOT connected. Coaches will become available at the end of the year, they always do. And I cant imagine anyone being worse than Garrett. If Payton became available, I would 100% be all over that one. Jones can go out and get whomever he wants if he really puts his mind to it. This franchise and these fans deserve better than Garrett.

But like you said, Garrett is probably not going anywhere. Just another reason why the Cowboys are not going anywhere. Its not all Garretts fault surely, but is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What are you talking about? There are plenty of viable opportunities. If you want to stay the same Coryell offense, you can make a run at Hue Jackson. Sean Payton is probably going to be available so you keep an eye out for him.
If you want to go young, I'd take a look at the Commanders OC, who from the Shanahan coaching tree and you wouldn't have to change the blocking schemes. The passing game is perfect for Romo and Dez.

for my money I dont want anymore young coaches. Give me a coach that has been in the league for years and has skins on the wall.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Uh, no thanks to the skins OC, I mean really? An assistant from a crap team winning a crappy division who will be bounced in the first round. I wouldn't even want the HC, or his brother for that matter. Payton's not happening for a myriad of reasons

Any and all are better than Garrett. But this is what you Garrett lovers do. You justify Garrett by trying to sell to the rest of us that Garrett is the best we could ever hope for with Jones as the owner. Sorry, Im a more proud fan than that and I have higher standards. You clearly have been so beaten down by the last 20 years that you no longer have the heart to fight for this team and the high standards we grew up loving about the Cowboys. You may have forgotten what it was like to be a Cowboys fan in the glory years, but many here have not. Garrett is well below standards no matter how bad this franchise becomes.

khiladi

Reaction score
for my money I dont want anymore young coaches. Give me a coach that has been in the league for years and has skins on the wall.

I just want Garrett out of here first, so it changes this whole training process philosophy.

We need freak direction, but I'd prefer Payton because he's worked with Romo and Witten, and they are good friends and it would be an easy adjustment. Hue also gives us an easier move offensively with the Coryell. So if it's win now, I'm right tere with you.

The reality is though this idea you need continuity in today's league is absurd. The Commanders are just one of many teams that turned it around in one year based on good coaching. The next coach sucks, you can bring the next one up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I just want Garrett out of here first, so it changes this whole training process philosophy.

We need freak direction, but I'd prefer Payton because he's worked with Romo and Witten, and they are good friends and it would be an easy adjustment. Hue also gives us an easier move offensively with the Coryell. So if it's win now, I'm right tere with you.

The reality is though this idea you need continuity in today's league is absurd. The Commanders are just one of many teams that turned it around in one year based on good coaching. The next coach sucks, you can bring the next one up.

I couldnt agree. Get Garrett out of here. That is job #1. We can worry about the next coach after that.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Just a hunch.

Ill say this, Jerry sees everything we all see.

I agree with this. Yet does he interpret it the same as the rest of us? Hell, we don't even see it the same here.

And in his interpretation, how does putting butts in seats factor in?

Just watched Draft Day again last night, and the owner tells the GM, make a splash. I need to sell seats.

While art imitates life, and vice versa, I have to think making a splash does factor in with Jerry. But having a comfort zone where he has a Yes Man holding the steering wheel on the field is of great importance to him.

If we look at the record of the Eagles over the last three years, and measure with that being a yard stick. Garrett will be a man without a country before the first play-off game is over.

But then you have to use the Jerry Jones slide rule, which throws any logic out of the window, and looks for the next photo op and interview.

Yet if this occurred, who would replace Clap On, Clap Off?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree with this. Yet does he interpret it the same as the rest of us? Hell, we don't even see it the same here.

Just watched Draft Day again last night, and the owner tells the GM, make a splash. I need to sell seats.

While art imitates life, and vice versa, I have to think making a splash does factor in with Jerry. But having a comfort zone where he has a Yes Man holding the steering wheel on the field is of great importance to him.

If we look at the record of the Eagles over the last three years, and measure with that being a yard stick. Garrett will be a man without a country before the first play-off game is over.

But then you have to use the Jerry Jones slide rule, which throws any logic out of the window, and looks for the next photo op and interview.

Jerry always thinks this team is one or two healthy players away from challenging for the SB. Always the optimist. He is a salesman and to be a good salesman, in a way you have to believe your own BS.

He has hung his hat on Garrett and pretty much staked his reputation on him. If Garrett doesnt work out then he will have single handedly wasted Romos entire career on bad coaching and bad coaching decisions. Im not sure he can handle that. He is more likely to ride this one all the way down.

The only hope that we have is that he did acknowledge in his own way how bad the coaching has been this year. That is a ray of hope. But there are simply too many excuses as to why we had a bad year that he can look to. Our only hope is that multiple horrid years like this in a row my get Garrett out of here. This is the first one. If this happens again, then I would think he would have no choice. And although I cant get myself to hope for another horrid season like this one at least there may be silver lining to it if it does happen.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score

I think if we look really bad against the Skins it MIGHT get Jerry's attention. Its hard to know what goes thru that 40 yr old brain, but at some point he'll have to face the inevitable.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I think if we look really bad against the Skins it MIGHT get Jerry's attention. Its hard to know what goes thru that 40 yr old brain, but at some point he'll have to face the inevitable.

It is difficult to concentrate on your football comments with her staring at me.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That is the direction I would go. But we would be very limited in our choices. The popular pick is Payton but the problem with Payton would be on defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That is the direction I would go. But we would be very limited in our choices. The popular pick is Payton but the problem with Payton would be on defense.

Payton is not a defensive guy. His specialty is offense and running the entire team. The players love playing for him. I have no doubts, however, that like Romo in Dallas, Brees made his offense look very special over the years. Not sure how good it would look with a run of the mill QB in there. But I would be more than willing to take the chance. Either keep marianelli, or bring in a DC to handle that side of the ball.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry hasn't seen enough because the day he fires Garrett is the day he admits he was wrong about him. Jerry's ego is at stake with this hiring he brought Garrett to Dallas to groom him to be a head coach. He knows if Garrett succeeds he'll get all the credit for the teams success.

He's Jerry's pet project too much of his ego is invested in Garrett. Romo going down for most of the season along with Dez's injury gives Jerry all the ammo he needs to justify staying with Garrett. If he fires him he ends up looking bad and will just return to where he's been by hiring another yes man.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
While I can appreciate your dream, but his silence is not a sign he is going to do something like swallow and gag on a million dollar contract with his anointed favorite adopted son after just a year in the contract.

I really wish folks would just stop this.

It is not like I wouldn't be excited, but I am not going to torture myself with hope on this.

He has tinkered a lot during the Garrett era with Callahan, Kiff, assigning new duties, etc.?

Junglist

Reaction score
I know its goes against the majority opinion around here, but I think Jerry has seen enuff. I think that if we make another pathetic showing against the Skins we may have a great off season beginning with Red getting his walking papers.

Keeping Garrett would be idiotic and Jerry knows it. I will not be surprised at all when I get the alert that Red has been let go.

The Red Alert? Lol

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Jerry always thinks this team is one or two healthy players away from challenging for the SB. Always the optimist. He is a salesman and to be a good salesman, in a way you have to believe your own BS.

He has hung his hat on Garrett and pretty much staked his reputation on him. If Garrett doesnt work out then he will have single handedly wasted Romos entire career on bad coaching and bad coaching decisions. Im not sure he can handle that. He is more likely to ride this one all the way down.

The only hope that we have is that he did acknowledge in his own way how bad the coaching has been this year. That is a ray of hope. But there are simply too many excuses as to why we had a bad year that he can look to. Our only hope is that multiple horrid years like this in a row my get Garrett out of here. This is the first one. If this happens again, then I would think he would have no choice. And although I cant get myself to hope for another horrid season like this one at least there may be silver lining to it if it does happen.

The part that Jerry doesn't understand is that when you have a predictable scheme and then that predictable scheme also reduces very quickly to pass plays that requires athletes that Dallas does not have, then Romo is at risk on every play. Running the ball and playing the game to the first down without a lot of route development preserves Romo. Jason never apologized for the year that Romo had to throw the ball 648 times. He was at risk on every play and he took a beating. Jerry is more loyal to Romo than Garrett I imagine but Jerry is snowed by Jason's constant explanations and optimism, and probably thinks that Romo can't change schemes now.

It's just tragic.

The worst is when Linehan is saying that the playbook had to be reduced and minimized because of the players they had this year. That's like saying that a restaurant only has a menu for chicken and turkey so when the restaurant receives an abundance of steak and hamburger, there's just nothing a cook can do to the menu except reduce things down to how they can get certain beef dishes to taste or appear like chicken.

Change the menu.