I hope no one is truly panicking over these day one FA defections

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Still no reason to panic. The FO will execute their plan according to their schedule and not according to day one defections or to please panicky fans.

I'm not sure most of us are panicking. We just don't like the uncertainty.

If we had re-signed Church, we'd have just as much bellyaching over keeping him and not upgrading the position as we do about him leaving and not upgrading the position.

Sydla

Reaction score
Still no reason to panic. The FO will execute their plan according to their schedule and not according to day one defections or to please panicky fans.

And we, as fans, can criticize their plan.

Especially considering their plan has resulted in no NFC Champ games or SBs yet and largely resulted in disappointing season endings.

gimmesix

Reaction score
They have all offseason to replace Church and McClain - and like you said, they already had the replacement for Leary.

Church is a solid starter and clubhouse leader but they had to change the defensive scheme to keep him out of coverage. There are certainly players available that will be able to step into that starting job. And Kavon Frazier has a shot at improving enough to be a starter next year.

McClain was a good player for us last year because we weren't going to overpay to keep him - and we already have his replacement on the roster in Thornton. Backup 1T isn't a hard position to fill with a FA signing, or a 4th or 5th round pick or even with a guy like Richard Ash.

If our plan turns out to be replacing Church with Frazier and McClain with Ash, then I will panic.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
And we, as fans, can criticize their plan.

Especially considering their plan has resulted in no NFC Champ games or SBs yet and largely resulted in disappointing season endings.
And I, as someone with a bit more patience, can criticize your criticism.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If our plan turns out to be replacing Church with Frazier and McClain with Ash, then I will panic.

You took from my post that the worst case scenario is "the plan"?

You don't think a team with a ton of cap space and plenty of draft picks won't do anything else?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Lol.. As expected, you guys are in panic mode. I saw this coming and most of you did too. We don't have a load of cap room and we have guys that are like today's typical player... Loyal to money not organization.

FA bargaining and the draft will set your minds at ease. :grin:

I don't see panic mode. I see people questioning your apparent any-guy-off-the-street-can-replace-these-guys attitude. If the players Dallas lost were so easily replaced they wouldn't have been starters for years, much less signed by other teams now. So before I celebrate their departures I want to see who replaces them.

Sydla

Reaction score
Rome wasn't built in a day and occasionally weak warriors were moved aside to accommodate more talented fighters.

Accommodate implies those players are already waiting in the wings.

Reality is, at this point in FA, there aren't a ton more players waiting in the wings that are going to upgrade positions we have holes.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I don't see panic mode. I see people questioning your apparent any-guy-off-the-street-can-replace-these-guys attitude. If the players Dallas lost were so easily replaced they wouldn't have been starters for years, much less signed by other teams now. So before I celebrate their departures I want to see who replaces them.

true, it seems we are bleeding players with no plan to replace them but I am sure there is a plan somewhere

gimmesix

Reaction score
You took from my post that the worst case scenario is "the plan"?

You don't think a team with a ton of cap space and plenty of draft picks won't do anything else?

No. I don't think that's the plan, or that you were saying that's the plan.

We don't know the plan. That's what causes us to be concerned. Most likely most of those concerns will be alleviated when the team starts making moves. Now, it won't be the splash moves, which is both good and bad depending on the player and the cost, but the team will fill find bodies to fill some holes.

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
Quick question I feel didn't need a new thread: do signings and FA activities flow through the weekend typically? I can't seem to remember and last year I thought the new year started on a Tuesday anyways