I hope no one is truly panicking over these day one FA defections

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We haven't lost anything significant.

My worry is what we end up replacing some of these guys with.

Our team is gutted right now.

visionary

Reaction score
Every single player is a replaceable fringe player that overshot his talent level on occasion and warmed someone's heart along the way. But they are ALL replaceable. Leary aside... we knew we were going to lose him and La'el will fill in just fine.

But on the defensive side of the ball, cmon man...:facepalm:
Can we please not pretend as though that was the glaring weakness of our team last year. We could draft 7 picks this year and they would probably all maintain at least the level of play we had last year out of these salary thief's. Let them go play elsewhere and prove to others that they are exactly what we thought they were. There's good reason why our DL rotation was weak and our secondary was a combination of part time infirmary warriors and toast left in the toaster too long.

Some of our rooks from last year will step up on the DLine, Jaylon will rock, and we will draft nicely. I think we will also find some bargains in FA now that the day one fire sale is over.

Keep the faith. Nothing has truly been lost... :starspin:

I hope you're not really this dense

The guys were losing were JAGs but they were JAGs who knew our system

Now we will replace them with other JAGs who have to learn our system and with rookies who have to learn the system and adjust to the NFL

There will be a significant impact with even worse defense this year and people like you will be in here telling everyone to be patient because they're new players if rookies

Garrett has been "building" this team for 6 years. When do we get a team that's consistently good and competes for the playoffs and wigs consistently?

Just stop with the excuse making

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yes but we had the cap flexibility to sign a couple difference makers.
if you think perry was a player, he signed for ~$13M per year.

You've been told over and over and over and over what to expect, but you'd rather ignore that and play around with salary cap calculators. And now you have the nerve to be surprised and disappointed when exactly what you've been told over and over and over has happened?

Really?
o_O

Sydla

Reaction score
Again. One day of FA has passed. You will see plenty of action in the next two weeks. Now that the fire sale is over...

Have the Cowboys scheduled any visits, etc?

Your mistake is thinking the Cowboys will be active on Day 2 and Day 3.

The real answer is they probably won't get active until Day 7 or so. That's when the real bargains shake out.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Who has left that we can't replace?

:huh:

we can readily 3-tier players from 3-tier finds in the garbage heap.
mcclay can definitely do that.
if you want to win a superbowl, that is just not the way to do it.

waldoputty

Reaction score
You've been told over and over and over and over what to expect, but you'd rather ignore that and play around with salary cap calculators. And now you have the nerve to be surprised and disappointed when exactly what you've been told over and over and over has happened?

Really?
o_O

i am not surprised.
was hoping for better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we can readily 3-tier players from 3-tier finds in the garbage heap.
mcclay can definitely do that.
if you want to win a superbowl, that is just not the way to do it.

This team went 13-3 year with all of these same "3-tier players" on the team. Again I ask, who have they lost that cannot be replaced?

LittleD

Reaction score
so you were right and they are not going to go all in.
i dont agree with it but i am just a fan.
if mcclay can find players in the garbage pile, i suspect he would have done just fine picking from the top fas.

We only have 8.5mil cap space right now and I think they are in no hurry to create more. Yes, they can sign a few deals
over the next 3 or 4 weeks as long as they don't go crazy. They will have lots of cap space next year and can create
some signing bonus' that shove money to later. They just are not going to overpay average players. Stephen has said
that 2 years in a row and no one on this board seems to listen. No sense in getting upset since they have told you their
plan. Stick with it or find another team to root for.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hahahahaha!

Please don't insult my intelligence with meaningless stats. That defense was a train wreck and I find it funny that some of us are stressing over change.
Bro Bleu! I don't mind you arguing with me, we can have a difference of opinion, but you can't argue with the numbers. The number aren't opinionated or lying. Granted our secondary was/is atrocious, we face serious jeopardy here in screwing this team up a great deal defensively if we don't get this thing fixed. You didn't like what we had last season but it can get a whole lot worse.

LittleD

Reaction score
Have the Cowboys scheduled any visits, etc?

Your mistake is thinking the Cowboys will be active on Day 2 and Day 3.

The real answer is they probably won't get active until Day 7 or so. That's when the real bargains shake out.

Yes, a backup QB names McCown.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm expecting the returns of Carr and Demarcus Ware. That's about as 'big money' as I think we get.

I really wanted Claiborne back but he looks like he might get paid a bit. Maybe Baltimore will pass. I'll take Carr back at this point.

Honestly, I want no part of Ware. Wait out Sheard or Peppers. Both are much better (granted will likely get paid more too).

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I hope you're not really this dense

The guys were losing were JAGs but they were JAGs who knew our system

Now we will replace them with other JAGs who have to learn our system and with rookies who have to learn the system and adjust to the NFL

There will be a significant impact with even worse defense this year and people like you will be in here telling everyone to be patient because they're new players if rookies

Garrett has been "building" this team for 6 years. When do we get a team that's consistently good and competes for the playoffs and wigs consistently?

Just stop with the excuse making
Step away from the plank my brother.

waldoputty

Reaction score
We only have 8.5mil cap space right now and I think they are in no hurry to create more. Yes, they can sign a few deals
over the next 3 or 4 weeks as long as they don't go crazy. They will have lots of cap space next year and can create
some signing bonus' that shove money to later. They just are not going to overpay average players. Stephen has said
that 2 years in a row and no one on this board seems to listen. No sense in getting upset since they have told you their
plan. Stick with it or find another team to root for.

that is not true.
there were not just average players available.

we can easily open up 13m by just restructuring tcrawford and dez, so that is no argument for lack of cap space.

people play possum all the time so i would never believe everything the FO says.
what is disappointing is that the FO is essentially laying down for 2017 and probably for 2018.
yes the offense will give it a great effort.
but the defense will come up short again.
unless we get real lucky with a rookie passrusher.

LittleD

Reaction score
I'm expecting the returns of Carr and Demarcus Ware. That's about as 'big money' as I think we get.

I kind of like the idea of talking to Conner Barwin and there are some others that might make sense. McClay and Stephen will
find some replacements for sure. Stephen said they will not go crazy with contracts but, if they find someone they really like,
you know they will go after them.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I really wanted Claiborne back but he looks like he might get paid a bit. Maybe Baltimore will pass. I'll take Carr back at this point.

Honestly, I want no part of Ware. Wait out Sheard or Peppers. Both are much better (granted will likely get paid more too).

i think carr said he wants 8m aav.