I like what i saw from Lance

Chasing6

Reaction score
Accuracy and awareness are issues and can’t be fixed
Well accuracy and awareness take time to learn and develop. When you don't play on HS and only one year in college when was he supposed to learn/develop either one?

Their are no shortcuts to playing QB.

I wonder how many baseball pitchers that never played football get drafted or picked up as a FA to see if they can possible play QB? NONE

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Well accuracy and awareness take time to learn and develop. When you don't play on HS and only one year in college when was he supposed to learn/develop either one?

Their are no shortcuts to playing QB.

I wonder how many baseball pitchers that never played football get drafted or picked up as a FA to see if they can possible play QB? NONE
Not to be mean but if he had no experience in HS and or college, how in the world did he get into the NFL? Somebody must have seen something worth developing or he would not have made it into this league. I would say they have been wrong up to this point but maybe time will tell. I am rooting for the man.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not to be mean but if he had no experience in HS and or college, how in the world did he get into the NFL? Somebody must have seen something worth developing or he would not have made it into this league. I would say they have been wrong up to this point but maybe time will tell. I am rooting for the man.
He was drafted on potential. We have heard it over and over. He is a great kid, works hard, great athlete and is young.

Their mindset was if he played great in 1 season with little to no development and little to no experience then this guy could be the next GOAT.

They chose to ignore his HS coach saying he was a RB and not a QB. They chose to ignore not 1 college offering him a scholarship to QB.

Just like we have fans who see what they want to see and still think this guy is a phenom.

He is phenomenal bust and a waste of time.

erod

Reaction score
Sorry erod but thats just rubbish.

He wasnt on point with a lot of his throws. Main problem was that he overthrows receivers. But i cant take you serious if you say that he was wildly inaccurate.
He threw behind receivers all night, too.

Not really concerned if you take me serious. Not here to teach you football.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Sorry erod but thats just rubbish.

He wasnt on point with a lot of his throws. Main problem was that he overthrows receivers. But i cant take you serious if you say that he was wildly inaccurate.
Because he is not on time, waits for people to get open first, he then tries to power the ball to the WR resulting in high inaccurate throws.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
and if Shanny is a moron, then every coach, scout in NFL history is a moron because every single one of them has had a miss.

draft is a projection of what a player might be in the NFL. there is film study, etc. but its all opinion. the players play in different conferences, systems, Div I, Div II, etc. but once in the NFL, playing with and against players of their own calibur is when you truly can do assessment. every team and I mean every team has failed in draft in the first round and beyond. chances of a first rounder working out is much much higher than a 7th rounder. more talented. played in bigger schools usually. better physical ability, etc. so Shanny giving up on him was based on what he saw once he was in the NFL. practicing, studying NFL films and actual games he played. they wouldn't give up so quickly if they thought he had a chance to develop into what they thought he could be. having Purdy helped make their decision a little faster.

to say he was over drafted for his athleticism is an understatement. most coaches think they can take a physically talented player (something you really can't teach) and then teach them football. it ain't that easy. 4th year in the league and he wasn't bad....and he wasn't great....then he is what he is at this point. a mediocre player, who will never be elite and his ceiling is very low. why waste time? and I think the cowboys also saw that first hand. if they thought he had a real chance they would have picked up his 5th year option, which would only be 25M. that would put him in bottom half of the league in QB salary. the fact that they didn't pick it up tells you all you need to know.
I read that it was the GM who wanted lance, but dont know if that is accurate.
I just cant see them drafting a qb #3 overall, if Shanahan wasnt on board with it.
I read they gave up 3 1st round picks to move up and get him, so it was not just using 1 pick they already had lol.
They gave up a fortune in picks, for a guy that should not even be in the 1st round!

That to me says they are quite stupid,and it was a massive failure and loss.
Jerry gave up a 4th, which is bad lol, but that looks good compared to what SF did.

And lance may be good someday if he keeps trying, I thought he did ok in that game.
MM was a idiot by calling 41 passes in that game. That is very stupid.
And that many passes and no ints, was good imo.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I just cant see them drafting a qb #3 overall, if Shanahan wasnt on board with it.
I read they gave up 3 1st round picks to move up and get him, so it was not just using 1 pick they already had lol.
They gave up a fortune in picks, for a guy that should not even be in the 1st round!

Jerry gave up a 4th, which is bad lol, but that looks good compared to what SF did.

And lance may be good someday if he keeps trying, I thought he did ok in that game.
Shanahan signed off on it. There is a video out there showing how surprised and excited he is that Shanahan agreed to it.

Chasing6

Reaction score

The reason they called 41 passes is because they are trying get him as many reps as possible. They are not trying to necessarily win the game.

Watching him hand the ball off is not going to help his development.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

its not the first time a GM or coach has fallen in love with an athlete. it happens all the time, but good ones avoid it. Johnson was great at avoiding and going for the sure thing. Bilicheck was similar. specially in first and second rounds.

it was a massive failure for a guy who should have been at best, a 5th round or below based on his experience. and I think Bills and Ravens were offering a 6th round pick. if Jerry offered a 4th, it tells me he really wanted to make sure he gets him. but to what end? what was the plan?

he was just OK. if he was a rookie. he is not a rookie. a 4th year player.
MM gave him every opportunity. really wanted to evaluate him. put some pressure on him to see how he does.
Lance played it really really safe. made sure he doesn't throw interceptions which led to him not making any plays.
that many passes and no TD is bad. so it evens out.

Chasing6

Reaction score
its not the first time a GM or coach has fallen in love with an athlete. it happens all the time, but good ones avoid it. Johnson was great at avoiding and going for the sure thing. Bilicheck was similar. specially in first and second rounds.

it was a massive failure for a guy who should have been at best, a 5th round or below based on his experience. and I think Bills and Ravens were offering a 6th round pick. if Jerry offered a 4th, it tells me he really wanted to make sure he gets him. but to what end? what was the plan?

MM gave him every opportunity. really wanted to evaluate him. put some pressure on him to see how he does.
Lance played it really really safe. made sure he doesn't throw interceptions which led to him not making any plays.
He played it like a bus driver. Did not want to make mistakes, but did nothing really to help us win. If we had a legit running game and a D that only gives up 14 points a game that may have a chance of working. However, we have neither one of those.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He played it like a bus driver. Did not want to make mistakes, but did nothing really to help us win. If we had a legit running game and a D that only gives up 14 points a game that may have a chance of working. However, we have neither one of those.
we had that for a short time and Rush was the QB. we gave up 13 points and even scored a couple of times. we went 4-1. give me that type of defense and trent dilfer takes you to a superbowl

Chasing6

Reaction score
we had that for a short time and Rush was the QB. we gave up 13 points and even scored a couple of times. we went 4-1. give me that type of defense and trent dilfer takes you to a superbowl
100% correct, however Jerry likes to spend a significant more amount money on Offense than Defense. He believes Offense and scoring points is more entertaining.

This year I believe we have $160M allocated to the offense $90M on defense and like $9M on Special Teams.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The 49ers did a poor job evaluating Trey Lance. They were foolish to give up the assets they did to select Lance. That doesn’t mean the Cowboys were smart for only trading a 4th for him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The reason they called 41 passes is because they are trying get him as many reps as possible. They are not trying to necessarily win the game.

Watching him hand the ball off is not going to help his development.
yes but what about building his confidence? help him win a game does that, less passes does that.
Also the better he looks, the more likely his trade value goes up.

Cowboys made him look bad, and didnt help his confidence at all.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

yes but what about building his confidence? help him win a game does that, less passes does that.

Also the 4th yr thing is meaningless. He is still a rookie on a new team running new plays with new people and coaches.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Yes. Let's build his confidence by handing balls off to the RB.

I can see it know, Trance had some tremendous handoffs in the 2nd week of preseason. He is making progress.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Accuracy and awareness are issues and can’t be fixed
Dallas wants Lance playing with the scrubs. They want to see how he reacts to basically a no win situation.

Put Dak in there with the scrubs and see what he does. 8)

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The 49ers did a poor job evaluating Trey Lance. They were foolish to give up the assets they did to select Lance. That doesn’t mean the Cowboys were smart for only trading a 4th for him.
Lance draft profile: (Matches what we are seeing in camp and preseason week 1.)

Strengths

• Athletic quarterback with amazing physical skills and huge upside. Patient in the pocket keeps his eyes downfield and usually goes through progressions well. Can command the offense well and has a good feeling where everybody is on the field
  • Super intelligent - aced all his interviews with NFL scouts. Should pick up NFL schemes quickly despite limited experience
  • Has a quick release and gets passes immediately to the intended target
  • Sells fakes well, shows elusiveness, gets outside the pocket to avoid the rush with ease
  • He has the arm strength to push the ball downfield and hit closing windows outside. He also has the arm to add a little touch into his throws when necessary
  • He is never fazed in the pocket, and despite the limited opportunities given to him by a run-heavy offense, he has a veteran’s feel for making anticipatory throws
  • He’s extremely capable with the ball in his hands and an excellent awareness when running behind blocks, with good speed and a strong, heavy build
Weaknesses

• Played in FCS for the equivalent of Alabama - the Bisons were streets ahead of their opponents and so has never really been tested against quality opposition
  • In the controlled environment at his pro-day he had eight misses which most of which came on overthrows: corner and fade routes to the right side of the field. He looked a little rusty and unpolished
  • He only made 17 starts and attempted just 318 passes as a collegiate quarterback
  • Played in a one read offense
  • While him being an amazing athlete is not in doubt, his testing numbers were not as good as fellow 2018 recruit Justin Fields coming out of high school. He also decided against running the 40 at his pro-day, which seemed like a suspect choice