I think Dak's best comparison is Steve McNair

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
With this team we should be killing it, Zeke should be running mad all over the field. With no passing attack will Zeke ever break out? This line and Zeke are being wasted, with a potent passing attack and a dominant running game we would be lethal. Today we just have to hope and keep our fingers crossed...Sad!

Where did that dominant O-line go from 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Dak is like Jim Harbaugh... Guys that can make plays with their feet and occasionally their arm...

But their passing skills leave much to be desired

jrumann59

Reaction score
McNair's TD-to-INT ratio and passer rating and completion percentages say otherwise, in general.

To put it in perspective, Dak's worst season was a season with a 22-13 TD-to-INT ratio and a passer rating in the high mid-80's. That's his floor so far. Pretty positive McNair didn't have a passing season as good as Dak's worst season until his 7th year in the league.

Dak's 62.9 completion percentage in his worst season last year? McNair only topped that twice in his career, and it wasn't until the very end when he was a savvy veteran in his mid-30's and wasn't a runner anymore. Everybody crying that Dak is inaccurate would have lynched McNair. Let's be honest.

And it wasn't until McNair was a wily 9th year, 30-year old veteran that his passing game improved to the point where he posted, for the only time in his career, a great TD-to-INT ratio and a passer rating that hit 100. Things Prescott already did as a rookie (and did them even better than McNair, by a good margin).
Again different eras different rules for pass defense

Look back Besides Marino not many passers averaged 300 yards a game not even the venerable Jim Kelly and the K-Gun. Now we have QBs averaging well over 300 yards a game like brees or close to it. Look at the proliferation of the 4000 yard passing mark in a season.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Dak is like Jim Harbaugh... Guys that can make plays with their feet and occasionally their arm...

But their passing skills leave much to be desired
Now that you mention it. Yeah harbaugh needed to have superstars all over to be good.

SSoup

Reaction score
Again different eras different rules for pass defense

Look back Besides Marino not many passers averaged 300 yards a game not even the venerable Jim Kelly and the K-Gun. Now we have QBs averaging well over 300 yards a game like brees or close to it. Look at the proliferation of the 4000 yard passing mark in a season.
Yeah, that's why I never said a word about counting stats like yards or scores. Why I stuck to efficiency stats like TD-to-INT ratio and completion percentage and passer rating. Because accuracy decision-making and ball protection stay relevant, where the accumulated counting stats don't.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
McNair always put up numbers like 15-27 for a 170 yards and like 30-40 yards rushing. He had a prime Eddie George and Jamal Lewis with high quality olines with players such as Bruce Matthews, Joanthen Odgen etc. Similarly, to us with Zeke and our oline. The most tds McNair ever had in a season was 24. I think this is the best comparison you can make for Dak. He's not Mcnabb. He's not Russel Wilson. Etc. Opinions
Romos best comparison on his 3rd year was Garrett. Riding the bench.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I never said a word about counting stats like yards or scores. Why I stuck to efficiency stats like TD-to-INT ratio and completion percentage and passer rating. Because accuracy decision-making and ball protection stay relevant, where the accumulated counting stats don't.

Plus while things have changed since McNair retired. It really hasn’t been THAT many changes. McNair retired 10 years ago.

He was in the league for 7+ years the same times as Brees, Brady, Manning, etc.

He played against “the greatest show on turf” the year they went to the Super Bowl. That Rams team certainly was putting up some passing yardage.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
McNair always put up numbers like 15-27 for a 170 yards and like 30-40 yards rushing. He had a prime Eddie George and Jamal Lewis with high quality olines with players such as Bruce Matthews, Joanthen Odgen etc. Similarly, to us with Zeke and our oline. The most tds McNair ever had in a season was 24. I think this is the best comparison you can make for Dak. He's not Mcnabb. He's not Russel Wilson. Etc. Opinions
or is it RGIII? or Vince Young?

comparing him to McNair is not fair to McNair....

mcnair career average was 28.2 attempts per game for 194 yards...he started slow in his career....also he played in the early 90's...it was a different game then.

HungryLion

Reaction score
or is it RGIII? or Vince Young?

comparing him to McNair is not fair to McNair....

mcnair career average was 28.2 attempts per game for 194 yards...he started slow in his career....also he played in the early 90's...it was a different game then.

RG3 maybe.

Dak is definitely a better passer than Vince Young. He is much smarter too.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what Dak reminds me of....................

Flash-in-the-pan.jpg

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
McNair's a decent comp, but it's silly to compare passing yards from that era to this one. 200 yards in 1999 is a lot different than 200 yards today.

Dak's closest contemporary is still Cam.

Dak is to Cam like Seabass is to Lobster

AKA poors man lobster !

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With this team we should be killing it, Zeke should be running mad all over the field. With no passing attack will Zeke ever break out? This line and Zeke are being wasted, with a potent passing attack and a dominant running game we would be lethal. Today we just have to hope and keep our fingers crossed...Sad!

The whole organization is at the mercy of a Tim Tebow (Flash in the Pan) QB called Dak Prescott....I wish us Luck as every team we face will not be the Giants....

VABoyz

Reaction score
i can see the Mcnair comparisons..pretty mobile but not like vick or anything. close to same size and build. mcnair had a stronger arm though. not deadly accurate regularly.i can see an early nfl mcnair in dak.