I think Dallas is not planning on winning this year and setting up HC to Fail *merged*

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This front office is so bad folks have taken to convincing themselves that they're doing it on purpose. :facepalm:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
This kind of high level logic definitely requires collaboration.

cb823aa470f9437703ae91e0a971d778.jpg

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
They are clearing the books for Payton next season. Might as well prepare yourselves. This season will be a WASH.......McCarthy is just a stand in until next season. Payton or Quinn next season. Post it right now.

Payton has spent enough time with the Dallas team and their FO to know what to expect from them. He knows Jerry will corrupt his efforts from the start. Jerry can't resist subjecting his team to his and Stephen's inept judgments. Sorry but Payton is too smart to subject himself to this FO's inept judgments and frustration. He knows far too much to fall for that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are clearing the books for Payton next season. Might as well prepare yourselves. This season will be a WASH.......McCarthy is just a stand in until next season. Payton or Quinn next season. Post it right now.
Doesn't make sense to intentionally deplete the talent so Payton walks in with more holes to fill than he should have to.

I'm far from convinced Payton would come to Dallas anyway. He isn't in a position where he would have to take a job at all, much less with an owner who will limit his authority.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Doesn't make sense to intentionally deplete the talent so Payton walks in with more holes to fill than he should have to.

I'm far from convinced Payton would come to Dallas anyway. He isn't in a position where he would have to take a job at all, much less with an owner who will limit his authority.
I was just thinking along the same lines. We don't even know if he's coming back to coaching in general.

75boyz

Reaction score
Payton has spent enough time with the Dallas team and their FO to know what to expect from them. He knows Jerry will corrupt his efforts from the start. Jerry can't resist subjecting his team to his and Stephen's inept judgments. Sorry but Payton is too smart to subject himself to this FO's inept judgments and frustration. He knows far too much to fall for that.

In my heart I believe every word you posted here bro. My only question would be if there is a price point that over rides any and all coaching integrity that Payton would give in to in order to line up his retirement portfolio like this current sellout of a HC has done.

Fellow CZ poster yinyammer referred to these compromising character traits as desperation and pliability.

I hope Payton would show neither and his stipulation to be hired would be full autonomy or not accept the job.

Like I previously posted, I hope money would not change my personal image of the Coach Payton that I respect now.

I was never a McCarthy guy from day one.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score

It's called a rebuild and bring in your guys. Payton "if he comes" doesn't want McCarthy type players. He wants Payton type. Still saying Jerry will throw away this season. Keep the cap very decent for next season when Payton comes. Jerry literally sabotage the season with the flirtation of Payton to begin with. So, I'm not even excited about this season. It's already minus a miracle been decided and "fixed". IMHO....:(

Last edited:

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
In my heart I believe every word you posted here bro. My only question would be if there is a price point that over rides any and all coaching integrity that Payton would give in to in order to line up his retirement portfolio like this current sellout of a HC has done.

Fellow CZ poster yinyammer referred to these compromising character traits as desperation and pliability.

I hope Payton would show neither and his stipulation to be hired would be full autonomy or not accept the job.

Like I previously posted, I hope money would not change my personal image of the Coach Payton that I respect now.

Good points, pal. I believe if Payton comes he's only coming if he can buy and make the groceries. Or at the least have a huge hand in it. But with Bonnie Jerry and Clyde Stephen you better check the fine print in the contract with a microscope.

Motorola

Reaction score

'75boyz' - There is one 'price point' I think Payton can - and should- put forth to Jerry Jones, if the Cowboys Owner-GM is that infatuated with him being the Cowboys HC...and he should request it (in addition to input on player acquisition).
Sean Payton agrees to be the next HC - 5 year contract (the $$$$$ will be high).
If he delivers an NFL Championship in the first 3 seasons of his tenure - Jones will grant Payton a 2% share of the franchise ownership ...and it increases to 5% if two titles are obtained in that 5 year span.
(Effective once HC completes his commitment and retires for good from coaching. )
Gotta make it a Deshaun Watson \ swing for the fences=grand slam deal ----to leave whatever gig he has this year to get back into the grinder with league's foremost attraction.

75boyz

Reaction score
'75boyz' - There is one 'price point' I think Payton can - and should- put forth to Jerry Jones, if the Cowboys Owner-GM is that infatuated with him being the Cowboys HC...and he should request it (in addition to input on player acquisition).
Sean Payton agrees to be the next HC - 5 year contract (the $$$$$ will be high).
If he delivers an NFL Championship in the first 3 seasons of his tenure - Jones will grant Payton a 2% share of the franchise ownership ...and it increases to 5% if two titles are obtained in that 5 year span.
(Effective once HC completes his commitment and retires for good from coaching. )
Gotta make it a Deshaun Watson \ swing for the fences=grand slam deal ----to leave whatever gig he has this year to get back into the grinder with league's foremost attraction.

I'm not totally against your suggestion here. If I'm Payton I want FULL autonomy of team football operations to include exploring QB options and firing Jerry's Garrett Part II wonderkid named Moore,

It is hard for me to accept Jerry writing the type of strong contractual language that I would expect out of Payton with regard to the full power over team decisions that I would be looking for.

I just hope he wouldn't cave in just to fill the role of Yes Man Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys because of this highly enticing money package you mention here that goes with accepting the job.

BUT...
If Jerry will not concede power, and that's ALL power concerning team operations, then this basically is just another lie proving that Jerry won't do everything to win.

I'm all in.
But is Jerry?

Motorola

Reaction score
I'm not totally against your suggestion here. If I'm Payton I want FULL autonomy of team football operations to include exploring QB options and firing Jerry's Garrett Part II wonderkid named Moore,

It is hard for me to accept Jerry writing the type of strong contractual language that I would expect out of Payton with regard to the full power over team decisions that I would be looking for.

I just hope he wouldn't cave in just to fill the role of Yes Man Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys because of this highly enticing money package you mention here that goes with accepting the job.

BUT...
If Jerry will not concede power, and that's ALL power concerning team operations, then this basically is just another lie proving that Jerry won't do everything to win.

I'm all in.
But is Jerry?
It's not just Jerry - It's Stephen also.
But if the Owner/GM of the Dallas Cowboys desperately wants at least one more SB Title - and he thinks Sean Payton is the HC that can deliver it (numerous CZ members are salivating over getting him \ think it is a fait accompli (I don't)) - he'll fork enough football control plus a small piece of the multi-billion dollar pie for the added glory and adulation before he checks out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But if the Owner/GM of the Dallas Cowboys desperately wants at least one more SB Title - and he thinks Sean Payton is the HC that can deliver it (numerous CZ members are salivating over getting him \ think it is a fait accompli (I don't)) - he'll fork enough football control plus a small piece of the multi-billion dollar pie for the added glory and adulation before he checks out.
I’m not sold Jethro wants another SB that desperately.

He may continue attempting to present that perception publicly but as always his actions speak louder than words.

He only wants to win his way. And why we really can’t take Cowboys Football serious anymore to the pursuit of a championship.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's called a rebuild and bring in your guys. Payton "if he comes" doesn't want McCarthy type players. He wants Payton type. Still saying Jerry will throw away this season. Keep the cap very decent for next season when Payton comes. Jerry literally sabotage the season with the flirtation of Payton to begin with. So, I'm not even excited about this season. It's already minus a miracle been decided and "fixed". IMHO....:(
As if having to work for an owner that would undermine his authority wasn't enough, why would he want to come to a team that is depleted of talent?

A new coach always wants a strong talent base to start with. A coach knows there is a limit to how much talent can be accumulated in one offseason, or even a couple of them, and that's why established coaches don't want to take on bottom level talent bases. Nobody wants to start in a hole and have to dig out.

That's especially true of a coach like Payton who doesn't need to work, and who could always find a team willing to give him way more authority than Jerry would. Let's not pretend Jerry would just hand over the reins to Payton to acquire whoever he wants. Jerry has never been willing to do that since Jimmy left.

75boyz

Reaction score

Yep.
Like you said, a swing for the fences risk reward event needs to take place. To include Jerry's conceding most of the current power he holds, if not all. IF that type of compromise could be reached I could see a glimmer of hope.

But seeing is believing and my gut says it ain't happening unfortunately.

jmo

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
As if having to work for an owner that would undermine his authority wasn't enough, why would he want to come to a team that is depleted of talent?

A new coach always wants a strong talent base to start with. A coach knows there is a limit to how much talent can be accumulated in one offseason, or even a couple of them, and that's why established coaches don't want to take on bottom level talent bases. Nobody wants to start in a hole and have to dig out.

That's especially true of a coach like Payton who doesn't need to work, and who could always find a team willing to give him way more authority than Jerry would. Let's not pretend Jerry would just hand over the reins to Payton to acquire whoever he wants. Jerry has never been willing to do that since Jimmy left.

Thy will still have a base. But they'll have a huge cap in their pocket also. You have the q.b. receivers etc. Payton would only need to patch up the weak spots.

Motorola

Reaction score
I’m not sold Jethro wants another SB that desperately.

He may continue attempting to present that perception publicly but as always his actions speak louder than words.

He only wants to win his way. And why we really can’t take Cowboys Football serious anymore to the pursuit of a championship.
Then Jed needs to put "Elly Mae" in charge. Just appears to me she would put the franchise being an NFL Champion again the No. 1 priority. (She can designate running the Cheerleaders enterprise & charity entities to qualified candidates within \ outside of the family.) JMHO