I think Dallas is not planning on winning this year and setting up HC to Fail *merged*

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They are clearing the books for Payton next season. Might as well prepare yourselves. This season will be a WASH.......McCarthy is just a stand in until next season. Payton or Quinn next season. Post it right now.

If they were clearing the books for Payton, they wouldn't be signing so many extensions.

I see a disturbing pattern of extending meh players with more guaranteed money, while passing or cutting players with real talent w/o guaranteed money. It's just weird. It seems like a change in philosophy for players. Fill the team with overpaid second rate with low ceilings.

Also, *not* hedging their bets. Dumping the rights to players before they have to. They used to be the opposite.

Cooper, Gregory, Collins.
vs.
DLaw, Gallup, Schultz.

Lined up by money. About the same, top half versus bottom, in each slot.

And I'd rather have the guy who is gone each time. Just more talent at the price on top.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
looks that way
The way Jerry runs this team I wouldnt be surprised if next year Quinn gets an offer from another team right before Payton decides he wants to stay retired.
this is what is going to happen and jerry is going to spin it that the team is ready for kellen to take over.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What are you talking about? This is Jerry and Stephen doing what they do every year. The foundational piece of their football philosophy is to bring back as many familiar faces as possible.

They had choices of familiar faces, and chose the less talented and lower upside.

DLaw, Gallup, Schultz.

The talent is on top. The upside is on top.
The ones we kept are on the bottom.

It's not about money. It's about keeping poorer players.

Motorola

Reaction score
Why would Payton come here and work for our dysfunctional meddling owner unless his phone isn’t ringing?
If we're playing Nostradamus - here's my twist on it:

Payton returns from his one-year hiatus to become HC
(1) has a seat at the table in acquiring players
(2) if he delivers an NFL Championship within 2-3 seasons- Payton gets a small ownership percentage (2-5%) effective on completion of his coaching contract=retirement with the Cowboys.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The stuff folks tell themselves to rationalize front office incompetence that has been going on for years. :rolleyes:

Creeper

Reaction score
Just a reminder, the Saints have indicated they want 3 first round draft picks for Payton's services. I am angry they only got a 5th for Cooper, but my head will explode if they pay the Saints 3 first round pick for a coach who will be hampered by the Joneses teambuilding strategy.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Do they even have to sabotage MM? I mean, he's just a walkabout coach. He looks at the jumbotron like the rest of us to try to make sense of what he's just seen. Shouldn't be too hard to trip him up.

75boyz

Reaction score
Do they even have to sabotage MM? I mean, he's just a walkabout coach. He looks at the jumbotron like the rest of us to try to make sense of what he's just seen. Shouldn't be too hard to trip him up.

I hear ya man. All the talk of sabotage and being set up for failure. The dude sat there and did absolutely nothing for an entire whole second half of a season while his young OC and QB had NO answers for basic rush 4 and drop 7 in coverage fronts.

I mean...
Sabotaged? Being set up?

He IS the head coach...

Does he do ANYTHING?

If Kellen and Dak struggles again, grow a pair and take over the offense and playcalling.

Have mandatory NFL referees at ALL practices. Have these refs share patterns/tendencies of calls that are made.

Replace Philbin or make big run game adjustments to running game philosophy. This QB and offense is going nowhere without an effective running game.

Don't overcompensate risks to conservatism on 4th down special teams decisions.

Either learn or re-learn how to run both a proper 4 AND 2 minute offense.

Utilize hurry up as a primary offensive tactic based on opponent and defensive tendencies.

Have Dak on more designed runs and RPOs.

DO NOT run a high volume drop back passing game.

Emphasize extreme snap to throw speed increase all off season. Out of his hands in less than 3 seconds or better.

Feeding off the above, implement a short passing game as an extension of the run game so as to get the ball out of Dak's hands faster.

Quinn can handle all the defensive stuff but don't put up with boneheaded penalties and bench the culprit for a play or 2.

Instill DISCIPLINE throughout and that YOU are in charge.

IF he had done this to begin with he wouldn't be on the hot seat.

REGARDLESS of Jerry.

Be a freakin coach. Not a Yes Man pansy.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They had choices of familiar faces, and chose the less talented and lower upside.

DLaw, Gallup, Schultz.

The talent is on top. The upside is on top.
The ones we kept are on the bottom.

It's not about money. It's about keeping poorer players.

Well they tried. Gregory and Amari wanted out. didn’t want Collins with a 7th rounder waiting in the wings fresh off a super mediocre rookie season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Well they tried. Gregory and Amari wanted out. didn’t want Collins with a 7th rounder waiting in the wings fresh off a super mediocre rookie season.

Cooper wanted out of his contract in Dallas? Wanted to go to Cleveland?

Where does he say he wanted out *before* he was traded out?

At Steele's best, he's still a class below Collins. Depth at T would be a good thing, especially with Tyron's injury history.

It's arguable that trading Collins was a way to maximize our assets, but cutting him for nothing is just a loss of value.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper wanted out of his contract in Dallas? Wanted to go to Cleveland?

Where does he say he wanted out *before* he was traded out?

At Steele's best, he's still a class below Collins. Depth at T would be a good thing, especially with Tyron's injury history.

It's arguable that trading Collins was a way to maximize our assets, but cutting him for nothing is just a loss of value.

If you are looking for an out right declaration from Amari, you won't find it. We do know he criticized Dak and we do know he refused a pay cut to stay. So, he had a choice to stay.

The organization in general seems out its depth on the open free agent market. Cleveland stole Amari for a 5th round pick, and getting nothing for Collins was just the kind of blunder I've come to expect from the most clueless front office in the NFL. We have no depth at tackle and Steele is a JAG.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I would actually be more optimistic if I thought this was all being done intentionally to tank and clear cap, like there is this master plan being put into action.

Unfortunately, I think its just incompetence, there is no master plan here. These idiots have not won jack in 26 yrs, do you guys actually think they know what they are doing now?

quickccc

Reaction score
Why would Payton come here and work for our dysfunctional meddling owner unless his phone isn’t ringing?

for same reason why Parcells came here .... same reason why McCarthy came here ... money security and Cowboys stigma.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
for same reason why Parcells came here .... same reason why McCarthy came here ... money security and Cowboys stigma.
But neither were being pursued by other teams. And if you think Sean isn’t going to be pursued then it’s a greater possibility, which was my point.

quickccc

Reaction score
But neither were being pursued by other teams. And if you think Sean isn’t going to be pursued then it’s a greater possibility, which was my point.

i believe McCarthy had a previous interview before he eventually got with the Cowboys (Panthers?)

And we know the legendary Tuna Parcells was gonna be extremely picky where he chooses to go head coach.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We failed last year with all the guys we are mourning right now. Not sure what the expectation was for this year.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Has Jerry ever fired a coach mid-contract?

I find it hard to believe that Jerry would sign off on firing Mac, clearing cap and giving unprecedented roster input to the new coach.

All three of those moves would be admissions of his personal failures as a GM.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
i believe McCarthy had a previous interview before he eventually got with the Cowboys (Panthers?)

And we know the legendary Tuna Parcells was gonna be extremely picky where he chooses to go head coach.
I think it was the Giants who had expressed some interest but not interviewed MM. No one the first year he was fired from GB.

And Bill had been retired 3 years and shown no interest in coaching elsewhere.

The Cowboys simply aren’t a desirable venue to coach at and become basically a graveyard for HC’s.