I wished we had signed Jameis Winston

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Hey man, I can tell you are passionate as I am. I am not willing to acknowledge that Dak is different, because over the past 5 years he has not show to be any different. He is a good player when the system suits him. Nothing wrong with being in the group I mentioned in my previous post.
Success in the NFL doesn't just happen, you have to find an edge. All these teams have mountains of analytics trying to gain an edge on other teams. You don't kick the can down the road on a QB you want and then pay him 15 million more per year than you could have. That is being a bad GM.
How do you address the other issues you mentioned in your post? We couldn't address them from 2016-2020 when Dak cost nothing. He was the best value at the QB position in the league outside of a 1st or second year rookie.
The Cowboys fooled themselves into thinking Dak is an elite franchise guy and he isn't. The Winston example is just one of many, I would take Fitz over Dak at his price every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I like Dak, I wanted him to replace Romo. The move this year was to replace Dak and extract the value of trading him. You only don't want to trade Arod, Brady, Mahomes types. You will never get fair value trading a superstar QB and you will have no regret paying them.

The die has been cast, no turning back. I can only hope what my eyes and years of football watching are all lies and Dak becomes a superstar. Right now I don't see him taking this organization to a SB. We haven't been to a championship game in 26 years so please refrain from calling me a quitter on this organization, because I am not.
I am trying to think outside the box and I would suggest you all do the same. I remember the three titles, I enjoyed them very much so especially the 92,93 ones.
Until this organization changes its mindset we are 8-8 forever.

The team has only been 8-8 once with Dak so the continual insistence that "that's all we'll ever be with him" makes no sense. You may be confusing Dak with Romo there. You say Dak has not shown himself to be different from Goff, Wentz, Cousins and that ilk .. I can't really go there with that discussion. Dak has never had a full season meltdown like those dudes. Yes he has had a bad game here and there but he has way more good games than bad. Still until I saw Dak go to work this season I was right there with those who thought he was not a guy capable of putting the team on his back consistently. He had done it a time or two a year but it was not the norm. Then 2020 happened. With the line in flux and Zeke not doing great things and the defense handing out touchdowns like candy at Christmas, Dak put the team on his shoulders and gave us a chance to win games that frankly we would have had no chance in in years past. Three straight games over 450 yards and four straight games over 30 points spoke loudly to me that Dak had taken another step. I know the popular narrative is that "he only did damage in garbage time yadda yadda yadda" but as has been pointed out numerous times, the Cowboys were there at the end of every game he started with a chance to win. You can't be playing "garbage time" when you're ahead or within one score which was the case in the second half of every game he started. You are certainly entitled to your opinion that Dak is "not elite." I just happen to disagree. I place the blame for the slow starts in games firmly with Moore not him.. The Cowboys did not begin to have that problem until Moore took over the play calling. Before that they were notoriously playing from ahead because they nearly always punched it into the end zone on their opening drives. I'm counting on two things to fix that this year. First and foremost is Moore simply getting better at his job.. but on the sneaky side, Dak being in year 6 maybe taking the offense by the reins and shaking off some of the brain dead calls Moore comes up with early in games.. and late in games too for that matter, especially in the red zone. The bottom line is I believe Dak is a very good QB who is trending up.. and who, with the proper guidance and tools can become a great one. You don't and I'm not here to insult you for your take. Time will tell which one of us is right.. By the way, I am old enough to remember all FIVE championships.. and I enjoyed them all pretty much equally..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Incase people forgot, Dak was setting records in 2020....for throwing int's and fumbling. Not saying Dak isn't better he is but not 150 million better. Winston and Fitz both signed 10-15 million dollar deals but only for 1 year, dalton is also available probably for as cheap if not cheaper. And while they aren't better, we could get similar production with a healthy OL and allow the boys to hopefully build a better defense.

Why would you post this lie? Dak had 4 INTs and 2 fumbles this year.. putting him on pace for 12-13 INTs and 6-7 fumbles if he didn't clean it up.. which everything about his career indicates that he would have. What is the point of making up a blatant lie to support your point? Especially when the options being promoted both turn the ball over at 2-3 times the rate Dak does.. Both Winston (3.4) and Fitz (3.3) have INT percentages nearly double that of Dak (1.7).. Fitz has lost 43 fumbles in his career.. Winston has lost 31.. Dak has lost 21.. In what alternate reality does doubling QB's turnover rate help his team?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I know all you Dak guys will lose your mind. But as I have been screaming all year I wish we had signed Jameis. Saints resigned him for 1 year @12 million. I have a hunch if he starts he will produce at Dak’s level.
I am not anti Dak, and it doesn’t even matter anymore as he is signed and just watch how the team has instant regret. He is not elite and that is what burns me.
I can’t believe I am the only one who feels this way. I honestly can’t see a path to going deep in the playoffs as this fan base hasn’t seen a championship game since January 1996. The days before the Netscape IPO, the AOL day, IRC chat. We have some 30 year olds who has never even seen any real Cowboys success. Just ponder that for a few moments.
Yea I got some friends that are Saints fans and they also wish the Cowboys would have signed Winston....

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why would you post this lie? Dak had 4 INTs and 2 fumbles this year.. putting him on pace for 12-13 INTs and 6-7 fumbles if he didn't clean it up.. which everything about his career indicates that he would have. What is the point of making up a blatant lie to support your point? Especially when the options being promoted both turn the ball over at 2-3 times the rate Dak does.. Both Winston (3.4) and Fitz (3.3) have INT percentages nearly double that of Dak (1.7).. Fitz has lost 43 fumbles in his career.. Winston has lost 31.. Dak has lost 21.. In what alternate reality does doubling QB's turnover rate help his team?

Thanks for your opinion. Dak was on pace to setting record high's for interceptions and fumbles unless you have zero ability to count. You can assume anything you want to fit your agenda that's on you.

To answer your question. For this team to win in the way they construct it they need to rely more on the RB than the QB. Dak had career highs in passing in 2019 and that got us to what....8-8. He was on pace to do so again in 2020 and was sub .500 in wins. This team is not built to win through high passing, they can not withstand this type of game long. They need the RB to eat top, wear out a defense, and let the QB make a play on 3rd down, and of course score TD's. Dak's career started off hot not because Dak was great, but because we could run the ball early and often when when they defense knew it. This style of offense doesn't require a gunslinger QB, you can take a slight step back with Winston, Dalton, Fitz type and pay 1/4th the cost, use that savings to get some help on a defense we've failed to draft well enough so we can compete. Your free to disagree and can be wrong all you want. Keeping Dak at all cost along with some of these other guys they overpaid is what is and will keep them from post season success.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion. Dak was on pace to setting record high's for interceptions and fumbles unless you have zero ability to count. You can assume anything you want to fit your agenda that's on you.

Please explain to me how 13 INTs and 6 fumbles can be "record highs?" Winston just threw 30 INTs all by his lonesome two years ago. So exactly what record was Dak on pace to break? The NFL record is 42 held by Blanda.. The Cowboys record is 25 held by Danny White.. Dak was not on pace to come anywhere near either of those.

To answer your question. For this team to win in the way they construct it they need to rely more on the RB than the QB. Dak had career highs in passing in 2019 and that got us to what....8-8. He was on pace to do so again in 2020 and was sub .500 in wins. This team is not built to win through high passing, they can not withstand this type of game long. They need the RB to eat top, wear out a defense, and let the QB make a play on 3rd down, and of course score TD's. Dak's career started off hot not because Dak was great, but because we could run the ball early and often when when they defense knew it. This style of offense doesn't require a gunslinger QB, you can take a slight step back with Winston, Dalton, Fitz type and pay 1/4th the cost, use that savings to get some help on a defense we've failed to draft well enough so we can compete. Your free to disagree and can be wrong all you want. Keeping Dak at all cost along with some of these other guys they overpaid is what is and will keep them from post season success.

All the guys you listed turn the ball over waaaay more than Dak ever has.. No matter how much you invest in defense it cannot overcome a turnover machine at QB. Ask Tampa Bay.. they had a good defense when they had both Winston AND Fitz and still stunk. Magically they get a QB who doesn't turnover and they're in the Super Bowl.. but you feel free to think one of these clowns at QB with a better defense is the way to go. You will be dead wrong.. again..

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Please explain to me how 13 INTs and 6 fumbles can be "record highs?" Winston just threw 30 INTs all by his lonesome two years ago. So exactly what record was Dak on pace to break? The NFL record is 42 held by Blanda.. The Cowboys record is 25 held by Danny White.. Dak was not on pace to come anywhere near either of those.

All the guys you listed turn the ball over waaaay more than Dak ever has.. No matter how much you invest in defense it cannot overcome a turnover machine at QB. Ask Tampa Bay.. they had a good defense when they had both Winston AND Fitz and still stunk. Magically they get a QB who doesn't turnover and they're in the Super Bowl.. but you feel free to think one of these clowns at QB with a better defense is the way to go. You will be dead wrong.. again..

IN 2020 he had already had more lost fumbles than in all of 2019, same number as all of 2017, 1 shy of all of 2016, and half of all of 2018...in only 5 games.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
IN 2020 he had already had more lost fumbles than in all of 2019, same number as all of 2017, 1 shy of all of 2016, and half of all of 2018...in only 5 games.

So you are saying he was going to set career highs in these areas? If that's what you want to say then word it that way. Career highs are not "records." And his career highs in INTs is 13 and in lost fumbles is 5. Maybe he gets to those maybe he doesn't. Again based on his career track record I would lean toward his not getting there. He has had stretches of turning it over in the past when trying to do too much but he has invariably found his equilibrium and stopped doing it. If I'm not mistaken he has only had like two or three instances in his career where he turned the ball over in three straight games and I think he has only gotten to four straight once. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.. I am fairly certain that he has yet to commit 20 turnovers in a season so there is no reason for me to believe that he was going to do so this year. It's just not who he is..

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
sorry I was in a hurray to run out to work had to type and hit send..:)) glad you were able to decipher..

He and Randall must have hug out together one got the draws the other got the meat..then they used the cologne and smelled each other after harassing woman..

:laugh::muttley:
:lmao:HILIARIOUS:lmao:

:lmao2:

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Man, this forum trafficks in lies and conspiracy theories.