I would like to hear the arguments of Garrett supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

links18

Reaction score
Things have changed.

Two years ago, you'd see every page full of Garrett support--including irrational comparisons to Landry and Jesus

All he needed was to be freed from the play calling duties Jerry foisted on him and he would be the next Mike Tomlin.

Yeah, howse that working out?

OhSnap

Reaction score
I know that there are a few, if not many, well known posters who like (or liked) Garrett on this forum. I am very interested to hear what their thoughts are on Garrett at this point, and if they still believe in him. I do not at all mean this sarcastically or condescendingly, I am genuinely interested to hear your thoughts about our Head Coach, and if you are still behind them.

These guys switched DC's and OPENLY stated they wanted more turnovers. They got them. They also made it no secret that they had the goal of solidifying the offensive line and running the ball better. They did both. So it's not like they didn't upgrade the areas they said they would. No one likes the outcome of the season but the improvements they wanted happened and when that is considered with all the injuries on the defense again it's very likely your not gonna get the coaching change you want.

Dodger12

Reaction score
My biggest peeve with Garrett is he doesn't win and doesn't give us really any kind of advantage as a coach.

He pretty much sucks.

You give Dave Campo this same talent and you'd be getting the same results.

Completely agree. We never out-scheme or out-coach anyone. Add to that the horrendous play calling and game management and Garrett is an absolute liability. We've wasted a franchise QB for this crap. Damn I'm pissed today.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Garrett is awesome. I hope Jerry hires two people to stand by his side during games. One to focus on clock management and another to give helpful tips on game awareness.

Might as well get Lovie for DC and Shanahan for OC. Maybe Gruden can come in for ST's.....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We never out-scheme or out-coach anyone. Add to that the horrendous play calling and game management and Garrett is an absolute liability. We've wasted a franchise QB for this crap. Damn I'm pissed today.

Well said.

OhSnap

Reaction score
...and there ARE some Garrett supporters out there - some that "like everything about Garrett."

I wouldn't say everything but he get's another year from me. I don't blame anyone for wanting to fire him but I wonder what if on the injuries and the green players in the secondary? I find it hard not to believe that a second year for some of these players wouldn't lead to a few meaningfull stops in the 1 and 3 point games.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Garrett is awesome.

Might as well get Lovie for DC and Shanahan for OC. Maybe Gruden can come in for ST's.....

Garret is awesome with Lovie, Shanahan and Gruden.....somebody get Jeruuhs # and tell him to call Mark Cuban then ask him about his last Championship while you're at it.

Just think how less dumb Jerry would look!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the biggest draw in Garrett's favor is that keeping him allows the relatively solid drafts to continue...and there's a certain amount of consistency that would allow the roster to continue to be built a certain way.

I think the biggest con against Garrett is that the game management is still troubling after all these years. And ultimately no matter how many ways you slice it, that's a concern for even the most ardent supporter.

Dodger12

Reaction score
I think the biggest draw in Garrett's favor is that keeping him allows the relatively solid drafts to continue...and there's a certain amount of consistency that would allow the roster to continue to be built a certain way.

I think the biggest con against Garrett is that the game management is still troubling after all these years. And ultimately no matter how many ways you slice it, that's a concern for even the most ardent supporter.

Can you tell me how many Pro-Bowlers we've developed in these Garrett led drafts? What makes these drafts so solid? Claiborne is looking like a bust in year 2, Escobar is completely lost, Lee and Carter have digressed. We switch to a 4 - 3 and don't draft a single D linemen even though Spencer is franchised (two years in a row), Ratliff was injured and Crawford was an unknown. Bryant may have all the potential in the world but, at the end of the day, Garrett can't seem to scheme a way to get Dez open. I'm not feeling all these solid drafts and we have no vision or foresight on draft day.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I think the biggest draw in Garrett's favor is that keeping him allows the relatively solid drafts to continue...

You surely must have missed the draft war room live coverage? Garrett talked to JJ's daughter the whole time and didn't do jack squat. Jerry and Stephen had to explain the trade with SF to him and even after that explanation, Garrett looked like he needed to buy a vowel. That dude was clueless the whole draft and I don't even remember him touching the phone or saying anything the whole time.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I don't know if another coach can do better with Jerry as the boss.

Garrett has obvious game management problems and his offensive scheme is questionable; however, things could get worse if Jerry hires another Wade Phillips.

Do you want Jerry to make a another Roy Williams or Joey Galloway trade? Garrett appears to at least put up some resistance to Jerry's meddling which is something that Wade and Campo didn't even try to do.

As much as I want another coach this is my nightmare. I'd rather have someone who can speak in full sentences like Garrett than some burn out with some skins on the wall who needs to pay for his divorce or pad his retirement. Or a young coach who's too green or afraid to take charge from the jones boys. It's going to take a very special person who can walk a fine line of dealing with a meddler yet garner respect in the locker room. I don't presently see a name out there that could do it. Sean Peyton was my man before he resigned with saints.
He has to have a strong personality to command the locker room yet appease the idiot owner. This reminds me of the movie Gladiator. We need Maximus!!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you tell me how many Pro-Bowlers we've developed in these Garrett led drafts? What makes these drafts so solid? Claiborne is looking like a bust in year 2, Escobar is completely lost, Lee and Carter have digressed. We switch to a 4 - 3 and don't draft a single D linemen even though Spencer is franchised (two years in a row), Ratliff was injured and Crawford was an unknown. Bryant may have all the potential in the world but, at the end of the day, Garrett can't seem to scheme a way to get Dez open. I'm not feeling all these solid drafts and we have no vision or foresight on draft day.

Claiborne and Lee can't stay healthy... That's an issue. But the talent is there. Escobar, IMO, is a rook and needs opportunities like T-Will got, but there's some talent there.

I'd say Carter has regressed some, along with being injured, but prior to this season, folks were talking him and Lee as part of the next generation of Cowboy stars.

The DL is a wash.. Nobody could've known that the DL would've been gutted by injuries the way it did. Yeah, they could've taken a DL, but the question I always ask myself is am I happy with the guys they drafted...and my answer goes back to Yes. I'm not one to moan/groan about spilled milk. I love the T-Fred and T-Will picks.

As for the Dez commentary, I put that under the con against Garrett re: his game management. They do need to do a better job of getting him involved. That said, I don't believe in chucking it Dez to the detriment of the overall flow of the offense either.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You surely must have missed the draft war room live coverage? Garrett talked to JJ's daughter the whole time and didn't do jack squat. Jerry and Stephen had to explain the trade with SF to him and even after that explanation, Garrett looked like he needed to buy a vowel. That dude was clueless the whole draft and I don't even remember him touching the phone or saying anything the whole time.

I watched it...and I disagree with your take on the war room coverage.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Claiborne and Lee can't stay healthy... That's an issue. But the talent is there. Escobar, IMO, is a rook and needs opportunities like T-Will got, but there's some talent there.

I'd say Carter has regressed some, along with being injured, but prior to this season, folks were talking him and Lee as part of the next generation of Cowboy stars.

The DL is a wash.. Nobody could've known that the DL would've been gutted by injuries the way it did. Yeah, they could've taken a DL, but the question I always ask myself is am I happy with the guys they drafted...and my answer goes back to Yes. I'm not one to moan/groan about spilled milk. I love the T-Fred and T-Will picks.

As for the Dez commentary, I put that under the con against Garrett re: his game management. They do need to do a better job of getting him involved. That said, I don't believe in chucking it Dez to the detriment of the overall flow of the offense either.

Claiborne was getting abused prior to his injuries and is borderline bust. At the very least, they certainly overestimated his shut down ability which they compared to Deion. After 3 Garrett led drafts, I see nothing of value that he's brought to the war room, unless it's to entertain Charlotte.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You know....you're allowed to contribute your own thoughts to any thread you're interested in contributing to, visionary. Not everybody will necessarily read them, and some might have you on ignore, but at least the mods have to check them to make sure you stay within the guidelines, so you're guaranteed at least some of us will get to know what you think on a given topic.

Or, you can snipe. I guess it's up to you.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched it...and I disagree with your take on the war room coverage.

I did, and do, too. Though HCs usually aren't all that active in draft rooms (relative to GMs and scouts, anyway) unless they're serving in a GM capacity themselves, are they? I mostly only pay attention to Dallas, and don't really remember anyone other than Parcels being all that active with the picks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Claiborne was getting abused prior to his injuries and is borderline bust. At the very least, they certainly overestimated his shut down ability which they compared to Deion. After 3 Garrett led drafts, I see nothing of value that he's brought to the war room, unless it's to entertain Charlotte.

We were actually missing Claiborne for several weeks there, until we brought Sterling Moore back (whom we never should have cut in the first place). Now we're missing our LBs, instead. We just can't buy a break.

VThokie7

Reaction score
I did, and do, too. Though HCs usually aren't all that active in draft rooms (relative to GMs and scouts, anyway) unless they're serving in a GM capacity themselves, are they? I mostly only pay attention to Dallas, and don't really remember anyone other than Parcels being all that active with the picks.

I think that's the point. If he wasn't very active how can he be given credit for the drafts? And if Jerry controls everything as some would make you believe why does Jason get credit for our only area of moderate success?

Status
Not open for further replies.