I would like to see the Peyton Manning rule.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
leonargized said:
P.MAnning is not even in the top 5 most talented QBs in the NFL ... He is smart and well schooled but not most talented...

My point is great D beats great Offense most the time ....

A QB is defined by his brains first and his arm second. A QB can have a cannon arm and still be horrible if he is as dumb as a rock.

Manning is extremely accurate, has a pretty strong arm, a quick release and is the smartest quarterback in the league.

How is he not top 5?

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:
I've seen the Texans play numerous times. They have talent at the skill positions. A lot of the sacks can be put on David Carr as well as the OL...he just holds on to the ball way to long on some plays.

Dom Capers is just a tool. If David Carr could read defenses half as good as Peyton the Texans would have a few more wins. I'm not saying they would be in the playoffs, they'd just have more than one win.

I will agree with one of the other posters...
When I see the Texans I see alot of jail breaks...

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:
Your point?

Fact is Manning is the most talented QB in the league. Tom Brady is a winner, but he is not as talented as Manning.

And if Manning wins a Super Bowl this year I say he is making his case as the best QB of all time.

We just need to stop with the nitpicking. Why do it? What is the point?

Greatest ever if he wins just 1 Super Bowl????? You gotta be joking. Yes he is a great QB but Tom Brady has won 3 Super Bowls with nowhere even close to the talent on offense like what Manning has.

Manning is a great QB but I would take Brady over him pretty easy. Brady comes through in big games....Manning chokes.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
leonargized said:
I will agree with one of the other posters...
When I see the Texans I see alot of jail breaks...

I see a lot of jail breaks with the Cowboys, too. Against Denver I saw quite a few.

We stayed in the game because Drew Bledsoe knows when to get rid of the ball. (Most of the time.) He knows when to check down to his RB and he has a coach that knows you have to protect your weakness. You have a weak OL you call plays where the quarterback gets rid of the ball quick.

The Houston Texans' coaching is pathetic. Like I said, they have talent. Way too much to be a one win team.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:
A QB is defined by his brains first and his arm second. A QB can have a cannon arm and still be horrible if he is as dumb as a rock.

Manning is extremely accurate, has a pretty strong arm, a quick release and is the smartest quarterback in the league.

How is he not top 5?

When I hear talent ... I think raw skills....

He dose not have the talent of Big Ben Vick,Mcnabb,Culpepper or even Eli..

He has a dad who taught him well...
He had the capability to aborb lots of info..
Knowledge keeps him calm ...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Wolverine said:
Maybe you are right but I have seen nuff QBs audible where they change plays and call plays and I do not see them put on a such a overblown skit like Manning does.
Again, do you grasp what he is doing?

It's chess Wolverine.

All of that distracts the defense as they have to try harder to read what he is going to do.

It may drive you nuts, but recognize it for what it is, he's playing chess out there and out thinking the defense.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Do you even grasp that he (not an OC) is calling the plays? Do you know how long it has been since that happened in the NFL? Longer than you've been alive.

Someone needs to let Tom Moore know he is an old man getting paid for nothing then.

The only difference between Manning and many other QBs is that he has the freedom to change up plays at the line at any time. And he is one of the few that is capable of handling the chore.

The QB position has changed since the 1970s when most QBs called their own plays.

The Bill Walsh revolution changed that with scripts and hard playcalling.

The Colts just let him play football and he is smart enough to handle it. But he is not "calling the plays". One is called and he can change it at the line.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Someone needs to let Tom Moore know he is an old man getting paid for nothing then.

The only difference between Manning and many other QBs is that he has the freedom to change up plays at the line at any time. And he is one of the few that is capable of handling the chore.

The QB position has changed since the 1970s when most QBs called their own plays.

The Colts just let him play football and he is smart enough to handle it. But he is not "calling the plays". One is called and he can change it at the line.
I did not say Tom Moore was doing nothing.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Wolverine said:
Greatest ever if he wins just 1 Super Bowl????? You gotta be joking. Yes he is a great QB but Tom Brady has won 3 Super Bowls with nowhere even close to to the talent on offense like what Manning has.

Manning is a great QB but I would take Brady over him pretty easy. Brady comes through in big games....Manning chokes.

You right...Brady had a more talented defense than Manning during the Patriots run.

There was a quarterback named Dan Marino who some consider to be the best of all time, even though he never won the big one.

Like I said, Brady is a winner and a future HOFer. But just because he has a lot of hardware doesn't mean he is the best ever. Aikman has three rings as well, but I don't consider him to be the best QB of all time.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Alexander said:

No one said Tom Moore does nothing. But he does give Manning permission to change the play depending on what the defense is doing.

Some of what Manning does is pure show to confuse the defense. Some of what Manning isn't show at all.

Tom Moore is one of the best in the business who happens to have the smartest QB in the business. What you get when you combine the two is a team that is now 11-0.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
leonargized said:
When I hear talent ... I think raw skills....

He dose not have the talent of Big Ben Vick,Mcnabb,Culpepper or even Eli..

He has a dad who taught him well...
He had the capability to aborb lots of info..
Knowledge keeps him calm ...

He does not have the talent of a Favre either. Or Tom Brady.

I sure would like to see what David Carr could do with that offense Manning has. Not taking anything away from Manning but I just think Carr is really underrated. Give him a good team and he has everything it takes to be a very good QB.

I would be real happy if the Texans release him and we get him and he can take over after Bledsoe is done. Carr just needs a real team to be on and a good coach.

Big QB with a cannon arm and mobility. He just needs to get away from the Texans before he is ruined for good.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:
No one said Tom Moore does nothing. But he does give Manning permission to change the play depending on what the defense is doing.

Some of what Manning does is pure show to confuse the defense. Some of what Manning isn't show at all.

Tom Moore is one of the best in the business who happens to have the smartest QB in the business. What you get when you combine the two is a team that is now 11-0.
Give Tony Dungy credit for finally creating a defense to match.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Give Tony Dungy credit for finally creating a defense to match.

Of course that has a lot to do with their success, too.

Dungy is a very good coach.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Again, do you grasp what he is doing?

It's chess Wolverine.

All of that distracts the defense as they have to try harder to read what he is going to do.

It may drive you nuts, but recognize it for what it is, he's playing chess out there and out thinking the defense.

And what has it got him so far. Not even 1 trip to the Super Bowl yet. Not a for sure thing he will see it this year.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I don't understand the logic of this thread; seems like jealousy to me. I wish we had him, too. Manning gesturing aside, he runs the most entertaining offense in the League, and a real football fan should marvel at how he calls plays and reads defenses.

Manning is the most productive QB in NFL history to this point (only Dan Marino is close), and if he plays til his mid-30s, he'll likely own every single major NFL career passing record. He's also won 70% of his games, not including his rookie year.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Wolverine said:
He does not have the talent of a Favre either. Or Tom Brady.

I sure would like to see what David Carr could do with that offense Manning has. Not taking anything away from Manning but I just think Carr is really underrated. Give him a good team and he has everything it takes to be a very good QB.

I would be real happy if the Texans release him and we get him and he can take over after Bledsoe is done. Carr just needs a real team to be on and a good coach.

Big QB with a cannon arm and mobility. He just needs to get away from the Texans before he is ruined for good.

I also like Carr and would like to see him here if they know the other Drew is not it....

I think Bledsoe also has more talent.
Also add Mcnair

CowboyChris

Reaction score
i agree with original poster on this thread, i am also sick and tired of watching Peyton with all his gestures and pointing, i do admit he is a great QB, but im not sure what the rules committee could do about this.

i would like to see Manning go up against the Bears this year, and lets really see how good that offense is.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Double Trouble said:
I don't understand the logic of this thread; seems like jealousy to me. I wish we had him, too. Manning gesturing aside, he runs the most entertaining offense in the League, and a real football fan should marvel at how he calls plays and reads defenses.

Manning is the most productive QB in NFL history to this point (only Dan Marino is close), and if he plays til his mid-30s, he'll likely own every single major NFL career passing record. He's also won 70% of his games, not including his rookie year.

Jealousy has nothing to do with anything...
I just think people read too much into it....
He gets it done and well , but so have many others without the dramatics.

He is a great QB on a great offense ,but if he did none of those things wouldnt he be just as good ???
Some will say No , that he needs to do all that ,but I say why?
He reads most D's very well and he has tons of weapons....
watching the games I just do not see the Defenses moving around a whole lot after Manning starts his act

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
leonargized said:
I also like Carr and would like to see him here if they know the other Drew is not it....

I think Bledsoe also has more talent.
Also add Mcnair

Bledsoe is good but he is not even as talented as Manning. Bledsoe has a much stronger arm but Manning is alot smarter.

I would like to get Carr cuz I do not think it would take him long at all to be good in Dallas.

Henson is done in Dallas. He screwed himself by losing those year in baseball and he has not made up for those lost years. With it looking like he is going to NFLE.....that is Parcells for saying your done here.