If Dak is average in 2019 and we don't come close to a Super Bowl

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Maybe we can find a guy like Christian Ponder to replace Dak...jk

But if you take what I said and apply it to my question you'll see we simply can't keep adding to the core they have. That's the very reason this thread exists. So put aside your hate of my opinion and answer the question. Or just avoid it altogether. Beasley is gone, I wouldn't be surprised if this is Lawrences last year here. And now there's talk of Jones being out next year. But it's ok to add to a depleting core as long as we have Dak, am I right?
I just want to thank you for getting to the point in this thread. It is much better than when you asked if we would trade a 4th for two 1st round picks and pretended it had nothing to do with Dak.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Somebody help me here....I keep hearing some of you say how average Dak is. Since when is average when you have a QB in his 1st 3 seasons complete 66% of his passes for over 10,800 yards with 67 tds to only 25 ints with 32 wins and 16 losses, 8 4th qtr comebacks and 14 game winning drives. And one helluva leader. Huh?!? Yeah....he can get better with accuracy. He can get better with pocket awareness. But, he's better than average. Having things to work on does not make you average. It's called growth. He's not a superstar...but definitely better than average. Some of you better be careful what you wish for. You just might get it!

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
why would you be opposed to drafting a replacement in the 2020 draft or allowing one of the current backups to get a chance to start and letting Dak walk? This is assuming he doesn't get paid this year but will be in 2020. I would really like to hear why Dak would be worth keeping at that point.

It won't be Dak's fault!!!! :muttley:Kellen will be enemy no 1 with some here and a new bag of excuses and the usual ones will once again surface with a vengeance!

P.S. Here's a fact....Dak will be average as his talent skills are average to BELOW average.....!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
We shall see how tight things get. But I'm thinking Dak is going to be getting 5 years, $150 million, regardless of however you want to break down his annual cap figure. I see what this team has built, I see what we have accomplished, for whatever reasons that may be, and I get a bad feeling we're digging ourselves into a bigger hole. How many top paid QBs missed the playoffs the last few years? Is Dak better than that? And you talk of the media which I have not paid any attention to regarding Dak or their rumors.

Do I have to spell it for you again, though? Would you be opposed to a new QB if Dak is average in 2019? Why would he be worth keeping at a top contract (just go off my outrageous assumptions) if the play doesn't match?
Yes spell it out for all of us.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Dak has had one of the best first 3 years in nfl history.

Another pro bowl season. Lol

Poor little petty trolls can’t take the embarrassment.
It has to be a personal issue with Dak because no logical thinking mind can really believe some of the crap they say about Dak. I'm for one happy to have a franchise QB and will get locked up soon. People must forget the days after Aikman and Romo with the QBs we had.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It has to be a personal issue with Dak because no logical thinking mind can really believe some of the crap they say about Dak. I'm for one happy to have a franchise QB and will get locked up soon. People must forget the days after Aikman and Romo with the QBs we had.

To find this kid in the 4th round is a miracle. Togo from romo straight to dak is incredible.

Where would Dallas and Garrett be without 11 straight years of franchise qb play?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
To find this kid in the 4th round is a miracle. Togo from romo straight to dak is incredible.

Where would Dallas and Garrett be without 11 straight years of franchise qb play?
1-11 is what they are with out Romo and Dak

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Always be drafting and developing the most important position in football.....ALWAYS. Bring them in young, develop them, make them look good in pre-season and sell them to san fran or the bronco's just like what the pats do.

+1

I would be churning young running QBs until we find one that can really throw. A QB who runs gives you something that Brady doesn't. Don't sign a big fat long term contract unless the guy shows he can really throw.

And Dak hasn't shown that. To be fair, I don't think Linehan has done him any favors in the last couple of years, but it is what it is. I haven't seen QB play from Dak that merits 30mil a year. It will consign us to meh status for half a decade.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I’m not a big Dak fan . Been very critical of his passing consistency, etc..But we can win with him. The kid brings some intangible assets. Yes, he needs elite support . The question is ; has he done enough to secure the job. Probably. Do we want more? Of course.

Then what’s our chances hitting something more in the meantime. Are we willing to take a step back if we don’t hit right away.

I think the bigger question is can we surround him with enough to get to the next level. We aren’t that far away. We’ve come pretty close to a championship appearance twice in 3 years. The unknown is much more uncertain.

Despite the criticism which much of it is deserved I think you stay with him until it goes South completely. If we’d had another 2017 season or finished off how it started in 2018 then it’d be a stronger argument.

I think we’d all prefer a more prolific QB but most would like to see how the kid develops. He’s prob shown enough not to kick him to the curb.

But here is the problem.............you say "he needs elite support".

How do we surround him with the elite support he needs if we pay him like he is Aaron Rogers, one man team?

Hadenough

Reaction score
why would you be opposed to drafting a replacement in the 2020 draft or allowing one of the current backups to get a chance to start and letting Dak walk? This is assuming he doesn't get paid this year but will be in 2020. I would really like to hear why Dak would be worth keeping at that point.
Is this mean to start a riot! Dak fans will be furious!

NotForLong

Reaction score
He's getting a 6 year deal, probably between 25 and 30 million dollars. Absolutely nothing that happens in 2019 will change that. You may not like it, but you can't dispute it.
Why do you guys keep insisting on such a high number. If this is the case. . . .mind as well leave the team now. Instead of being held hostage with the Fraud that is Dal. If he gets a contract with over 22 mil this team will never win anything. Dal is too weak to succeed

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Everyone hates some aspect of this team.

It’s either Jerry, others Jason and some Dak. Take your pick. Maybe they still hate Romo. No one in social media era was targeted more. Twitter gives every moron a voice.

And hate is such a millineal social media phrase. I’d call it being critical even cynical. It’s a phrase too may want to use to discredit an opinion because it’s not aligned with theirs.

We see this rhetoric across the board on social divides. Basically if you don’t like what I do. You’re a hater. So shallow...
Very well stated,

Great post!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But here is the problem.............you say "he needs elite support".

How do we surround him with the elite support he needs if we pay him like he is Aaron Rogers, one man team?
Not recommending to pay him Rodgers money. As I suggested in other thread pay him Foles money. And drafting well with support around him.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
+1

I would be churning young running QBs until we find one that can really throw. A QB who runs gives you something that Brady doesn't. Don't sign a big fat long term contract unless the guy shows he can really throw.

And Dak hasn't shown that. To be fair, I don't think Linehan has done him any favors in the last couple of years, but it is what it is. I haven't seen QB play from Dak that merits 30mil a year. It will consign us to meh status for half a decade.

Agreed. Only thing Dak shown is that with the best OL, the leagues leading rusher and a decent wr group you can draft a late 4th round guy that takes care of the ball and make it to the playoffs.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Is this mean to start a riot! Dak fans will be furious!
I was looking for some honest answers in what some fans might reconsider as we approach closer to this possible issue. Basically all pushback except from like one person. Just trying to understand why people are locked to one player regardless of performance to pay when we are literally tossing excuses around other threads why we shouldn't or can't keep Beas, Zeke, Lawrence, Jones, etc. But I've seen this wall built up around him after 2016, although it was transparent. After 2017 it went on full display.

InTheZone

Reaction score
It isn't black and white. There's a team element and more often than not I've seen how pathetic our offense looks when Zeke can't be effective or when there's not a big play to get us to midfield. Maybe for you making a few plays in some 4th quarter games is all that matters, but I don't ignore or forget leading up to that. This isn't a personnel thing against him, but I don't have a personal attachment to him either like some do here.