If QB are worth 40 mil

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
No professional athlete is worth $40 million per season being they don't even play a year. These salaries are out of control. That's why there's so many problems w/contracts.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then there should probably be a NFLQB salary Cap for same reason they established the original Caps.

If you must have an elite QB to compete at 40 mil per year how does that make the NFL more competitive?
Every team is operating under the same rules, and all have find a way to build the best talent they can. That is what competition is.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No professional athlete is worth $40 million per season being they don't even play a year. These salaries are out of control. That's why there's so many problems w/contracts.
The teams decide that, not fans. As with any industry in the US, if the employer feels an employee helps them make money, even at a high salary, then they are free to decide that employee is worth the money.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only people to blame for this are the owners, the NFLPA isn't going to agree to any cap on any position, nor should they. If these people can't manage their cap any better, that's not any player's fault.

If team's had to have these "elite" QB's and pay them an exorbitant amount of the cap, Brees, Rodgers and Wilson would have more than one ring and E. Manning wouldn't have any.

Can't pass some rule to save people from making stupid decisions, they just have to learn on their own. I will say that these other teams with those elite paid QB's don't have cap committed to so many other players. When a GM has to let the best player on the DL and secondary walk because of what he's paying to RB, WR, OL and the other DE and what he will "have" to pay the QB, that is nothing but perpetual cap mismanagement and they're not getting any better at it.

There is 0 doubt in my mind that a prudent and smart GM can build a team that doesn't need a 40M QB as long as he balances it right and remains true to his plan. That cat in NE has been doing it and few emulate him. Oh, they chin boogie that all the time but they don't have the nerve to let the GOAT QB walk, trade the DL, LB and let a player as good, of not better, than Lawrence walk because it doesn't fit the plan.

Not capping the QB, or any position, really makes this more interesting. We're seeing this team realize they've already screwed the pooch and have openly put the responsibility of building a team around him on his shoulders. That was a huge no sale. They are not one bit better at this after running the team for 30 years. That's what incompetence at the top and nepotism throughout will get you.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Maybe we should put a cap on Billionaire salaries?

LOL Yeah maybe, but I don't think a poor man ever built a big super stadium like AT&T. It's that billionaire's investment that provides all the jobs and entertainment for everyone else.

I'd just like to see QB salaries limited to a percentage of the cap instead of a sky is the limit deal at the expense of the other players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then there should probably be a NFLQB salary Cap for same reason they established the original Caps.

If you must have an elite QB to compete at 40 mil per year how does that make the NFL more competitive?
It doesn’t . But we must all remember the NFL is entertainment sports at the highest level. QB’s are the franchises and leagues most popular product.

Owners wouldn’t pay them if there wasn’t a return on their investment. And I’m not talking about just the results on the field. It hasn’t been just about football in decades.

Dak is a huge marketable product for Jerry much like other QB’s around the league.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Can you explain that a little more please? I don't follow the NBA anymore but heard they did have some exemptions?

I was thinking maybe have 1 player per team cap free.
No cap free players in the NBA.
There are max deals and advantages to home town teams.
Overall teams have a cap too, but it's a soft cap that can be exceeded to some degree for a huge price.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only people to blame for this are the owners, the NFLPA isn't going to agree to any cap on any position, nor should they. If these people can't manage their cap any better, that's not any player's fault.

If team's had to have these "elite" QB's and pay them an exorbitant amount of the cap, Brees, Rodgers and Wilson would have more than one ring and E. Manning wouldn't have any.

Can't pass some rule to save people from making stupid decisions, they just have to learn on their own. I will say that these other teams with those elite paid QB's don't have cap committed to so many other players. When a GM has to let the best player on the DL and secondary walk because of what he's paying to RB, WR, OL and the other DE and what he will "have" to pay the QB, that is nothing but perpetual cap mismanagement and they're not getting any better at it.

There is 0 doubt in my mind that a prudent and smart GM can build a team that doesn't need a 40M QB as long as he balances it right and remains true to his plan. That cat in NE has been doing it and few emulate him. Oh, they chin boogie that all the time but they don't have the nerve to let the GOAT QB walk, trade the DL, LB and let a player as good, of not better, than Lawrence walk because it doesn't fit the plan.

Not capping the QB, or any position, really makes this more interesting. We're seeing this team realize they've already screwed the pooch and have openly put the responsibility of building a team around him on his shoulders. That was a huge no sale. They are not one bit better at this after running the team for 30 years. That's what incompetence at the top and nepotism throughout will get you.
It has seemed to me for a very long time that our owner/GM and his entitled family executive team build this team FIRST to make money and remain MARKETABLE.

Does the “Jones Cartel” want to win? Sure. But It is clearly not the top priority of this organization. At best it is second. Which is actually a generous interpretation of how the Jones FO operates. A less generous interpretation of this FO is that they are just not very good at building a championship roster. Either or both interpretations could be correct in my view. One view of this family FO I don’t have is that they have just been “unlucky”.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It has seemed to me for a very long time that our owner/GM and his entitled family executive team build this team FIRST to make money and remain MARKETABLE.

Does the “Jones Cartel” want to win? Sure. But It is clearly not the top priority of this organization. At best it is second. Which is actually a generous interpretation of how the Jones FO operates. A less generous interpretation of this FO is that they are just not very good at building a championship roster. Either or both interpretations could be correct in my view. One view of this family FO I don’t have is that they have just been “unlucky”.
Yep

Jerry has built a very marketable and entertaining “fantasy” type team with talent at the key positions. It attracts fans from all over.

And probably enough talent to remain relevant and fairly competitive. Not bad for a Football Idiot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

To understand the thinking of that family, namely the patriarch, his son told this story.

Early on, after they'd arrived in Dallas (and taken Grannie and her rocker down off the top of the truck), Booger threw a party for the media. They were going over the list and Stuphen mentions a name with disdain, he never mentioned who it was, and remarked how negative he had been about their take over. "You don't want to invite him". Booger's response was "he will write about us and the Dallas Cowboys, yes, invite him".

He bought a team that was bleeding, fired a local legend and knew that a turnaround would most likely take more years than it did so what he had to do was what we called in my business, advertising, "polishing a turd". He had no steak, it had to be all sizzle.

What followed that was the rise of his HC into that legend's old seat and celebrity status like Booger had never seen. His brush with celebrity was death threats over not paying Emmitt. Jimmy had replaced a legend and had become one himself and the media adored Jimmy.

So, what was born of necessity, the need to market and promote an inferior product, became a drug to Booger. People wanted his autograph and pics with him, mainly because anyone would look better standing next to him, and he was interviewed and could command the camera and mic and he became that for which there is no explanation, "The Unnecessary Celebrity" like the Kardashians.

I do not believe he started out seeking the spotlight. I think he saw first hand what happened to Jimmy and wanted him some of that, which, unfortunately for us, became wanting all of that. The best way to do that was to keep the spotlight off others and only hired Parcells to get the Big Top and that only exacerbated his need for the spotlight once again.

And while I know it's an odd thing to do, I actually enjoy his face after losing a game so as a fan, I win either way.

However, when posters say I hate Booger, they are wrong. I don't even dislike him because I don't know him. I don't even have a problem with him running his own show, he owns it.
I do not like his personality and need for attention and need to show off and try to impress people with his money. I don't like anybody that has the need to do that.

Flamma

Reaction score
Can you explain that a little more please? I don't follow the NBA anymore but heard they did have some exemptions?

I was thinking maybe have 1 player per team cap free.

In my opinion the best way would be to give a cap discount for resigning drafted players. This would not give any team an advantage, just teams that draft well have an advantage.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

How would capping QB salaries change anything? There's only so much talent in the league, reallocating where the money is spent isn't going to suddenly deepen the player pool and make teams more competitive. The cap won't change if you cap a single position's salary.

Any team that occupies $30M of their cap on a QB has less money to spend on other areas. That's the trade off. The original cap was intended to prevent a single team from hoarding all the talent. Capping a single position doesn't do that. Cap a single position, and all of the positions will eventually go up to fill the void.

I don't think the NFL can do much from a positional cap perspective that will increase competitiveness. The cap isn't the problem, it's the talent pool.

IMO, if the NFL wants to address QB contracts and competitiveness, they should:
  • Increase the roster limits in order to reward teams who scout well and allow for more developmental projects. Let teams carry another 20 players in order to increase the talent pool. We've seen undrafted players do great things and become stars. Yes, it's like the lotto but let teams buy some more tickets. In addition;
  • Adjust the current Rule of 51 to something like the rule of 61 in order to shift cap allocation downward. Less overall cap space for the top players will ultimately result in the slowing of the increases in their contracts.
  • Mirror salary cap increases to minimum salary increases; this in addition to the traditional scheduled increases in minimum salaries in the current CBA. This will also shift the cap allocation down.
  • Implement rookie contract escalators for high performers. In exchange, any player on a rookie contract that holds out immediately returns 50% of their escalation bonus. This is probably unnecessary, but I'd kinda like to see how it works. If someone was forced to choose between forfeiting about $10M of cash in the bank just to hold out, I wonder if they'd push for that extra $15M of potential money over the course of 5-years. Short-term, you'd get greater cap uncertainty. For a team that manages well, that means you can't commit as much in the long-run just because your available space may fluctuate. Draft well and and have 2 or 3 rookies blow up, you're now looking at a few million more in cap charges you didn't expect. Of course, you'd likely need to build some reprieve into the mix just so solid drafting doesn't become punitive.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The cap is fine. Just spend your cap money and build your team wisely. This is something we just dont do because we have a drunken clown owner parading around GM who has a million priorities that compete against the priority of winning

Techsass

Reaction score
No cap. Pay him or don't pay him. It's really not more complicated than that.

You need a really good QB to compete? Yeah, probably. Paying him a ridiculous amount of money can counter that, of course, yes. Then don't pay him. Someone else will.

Keep in mind that we are fans, and as fans we only think about winning. Owners think about money. If a superstar QB gets fans in the seats and increases their revenue, who cares if they win championships or not? That's the owners mindset.
Welcome to the Dallas Cowboys I guess, but I aint leaving any time soon.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To understand the thinking of that family, namely the patriarch, his son told this story.

Early on, after they'd arrived in Dallas (and taken Grannie and her rocker down off the top of the truck), Booger threw a party for the media. They were going over the list and Stuphen mentions a name with disdain, he never mentioned who it was, and remarked how negative he had been about their take over. "You don't want to invite him". Booger's response was "he will write about us and the Dallas Cowboys, yes, invite him".

He bought a team that was bleeding, fired a local legend and knew that a turnaround would most likely take more years than it did so what he had to do was what we called in my business, advertising, "polishing a turd". He had no steak, it had to be all sizzle.

What followed that was the rise of his HC into that legend's old seat and celebrity status like Booger had never seen. His brush with celebrity was death threats over not paying Emmitt. Jimmy had replaced a legend and had become one himself and the media adored Jimmy.

So, what was born of necessity, the need to market and promote an inferior product, became a drug to Booger. People wanted his autograph and pics with him, mainly because anyone would look better standing next to him, and he was interviewed and could command the camera and mic and he became that for which there is no explanation, "The Unnecessary Celebrity" like the Kardashians.

I do not believe he started out seeking the spotlight. I think he saw first hand what happened to Jimmy and wanted him some of that, which, unfortunately for us, became wanting all of that. The best way to do that was to keep the spotlight off others and only hired Parcells to get the Big Top and that only exacerbated his need for the spotlight once again.

And while I know it's an odd thing to do, I actually enjoy his face after losing a game so as a fan, I win either way.

However, when posters say I hate Booger, they are wrong. I don't even dislike him because I don't know him. I don't even have a problem with him running his own show, he owns it.
I do not like his personality and need for attention and need to show off and try to impress people with his money. I don't like anybody that has the need to do that.
I’m very much like you regarding Jerry. Much to many posters here surprise, I don’t hate Jerry at all. I do hate the results he’s been getting and I hate the way he runs his organization.

Oddly, I think he’s actually a pretty kind soul. But he’s incredibly insecure. Despite all his wealth and success, he apparently somehow feels so insecure that he must remain at all times, THE FACE of the franchise. I have never seen such an emotionally insecure billionaire. Somehow he always needs be the center of attention, even more than he needs to win. That is bizarre to say the least.

I can forgive Jerry’s enormous ego. Most NFL owners have ridiculously large egos. But I can’t stand the arrogance of his self centered commitment to nepotism and mediocrity over winning.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

They attract fans putting butts in the seats and they sell jerseys. They help teams pull in a lot of money. There’s a reason star athletes get paid the way they do. It’s no mystery.

Flamma

Reaction score
Welcome to the Dallas Cowboys I guess, but I aint leaving any time soon.

Me either. But if you notice the teams that have been consistently good have had really good QBs. Now that Garrett is gone we should be like that too, right?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They’ll never cap a QBs salary. WR and edge rushers salaries are also continuing to climb. The only way for teams to continue to pay these players is for the cap to keep going up.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

You draft one every year in tge top 3 rounds and let them walk after their rookie contracts until the market resets itself....