If QB are worth 40 mil

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hope it was a an exaggeration. You certainly can’t use one of your top three picks every year on a QB that would be insane.
I do think you should be picking one every two years, develop and trade . Pats did it how many times?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I do think you should be picking one every two years, develop and trade . Pats did it how many times?

The Pats weren’t picking QBs to develop and trade them, they were picking them because they had an aging QB. Brady lasted longer than expected. Plus they have a lot talent and can afford to take a QB every two or three years. It makes no sense for a team with a young QB to take a QB every two or three years, especially a team that has a number of holes on defense.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Pats weren’t picking QBs to develop and trade them, they were picking them because they had an aging QB. Brady lasted longer than expected. Plus they have a lot talent and can afford to take a QB every two or three years. It makes no sense for a team with a young QB to take a QB every two or three years, especially a team that has a number of holes on defense.
I'll follow belichicks model, you follow garretts

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Then there should probably be a NFLQB salary Cap for same reason they established the original Caps.

If you must have an elite QB to compete at 40 mil per year how does that make the NFL more competitive?
There are no QB’s making 40 mill per year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think he said Bellichick’s model was wrong, just that he had different circumstances.

That said, I fall somewhere between the two of you. I agree with KJJ that Dallas had different circumstances and therefore couldn’t afford to take QBs with as high a pick as NE did, but I still think they should have been taking QBs every few years at least in the middle rounds (4-5?).

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t think he said Bellichick’s model was wrong, just that he had different circumstances.

That said, I fall somewhere between the two of you. I agree with KJJ that Dallas had different circumstances and therefore couldn’t afford to take QBs with as high a pick as NE did, but I still think they should have been taking QBs every few years at least in the middle rounds (4-5?).
It just makes sense to me to keep drafting a developing the most important position on the team. Maybe that's where you utilize the comp picks too.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
No one is forcing you to play football, you can go get a job elsewhere. If it's so dangerous that you are putting your life on the line, then maybe a safer career choice is the better option. .
Then you wouldn’t be here whining. No football, no one to whine about

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Your original plan until I called you out on it was to draft a QB every year with one of your first three picks, develop them and trade them. What was the rest of your plan to stash several QBs on your practice squad and develop them there? lol You obviously didn’t think that out very well which is why you changed your tune when I called you on it. You don’t seem to understand that NE has been drafting QBs to find a successor for Brady. They started drafting these QBs when he was 35-36. They never anticipated that he would continue to play at a high level until he was 43. They drafted Jimmy G several years ago to be his successor. Brady continued to play at such a high level it forced the Pats to have to trade Jimmy G whose rookie contract was about up or pay him a ton of money.

They drafted Jimmy G with a second round pick and ended up getting back a second round pick for him. They’re not drafting QBs to develop them and trade them but you don’t seem to get that. The Cowboys are in a completely different situation than New England. They have a young franchise QB they’re trying to re-sign. They’re not competing for Super Bowls every year like New England. The Cowboys have a number of holes every year especially on defense so they can’t afford to be using draft picks on QBs every 2 to 3 years. They need players that can play immediately. The Cowboys have never drafted a QB every couple of years or so with any HC they’ve had. Under Garrett they drafted Stephen McGee in the fourth round. He was the first QB the Cowboys had drafted since Quincy Carter in 2001.

They then drafted Dak in the fourth round and he ended up becoming a franchise QB. They then drafted Mike White in the fifth round and he went bust. In between all those QBs they brought in a number of undrafted free agent QBs. When you’re an up and down, inconsistent team you have to use your draft picks wisely but you don’t seem to get that.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Where is it written that player salary should be connected to owners salary? % of owner $ or % of franchise gross or anything?
Player greed vs owner greed is no different. No cap on owners but cap on players who risk their lives and well-being. Sounds fair

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
they also have a brilliant coach who is worth at least 3-4 games by himself on any team

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
they also have a brilliant coach who is worth at least 3-4 games by himself on any team

He wasn’t brilliant as an HC until Tom Brady became his QB. Check his record in Cleveland and his first 18 games in NE with Drew Bledsoe. We’ll see how it goes for him without Brady.