If the NFL doesn't want the Cowboys to be successful, why not?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The NFL is the owners of the 32 teams. There are enough of the owners that don't like Jerry that can sway favor Jerry in the league. Jerry wields a good amount of influence for one man but it doesn't compare to the influence of the other owners when they combine forces.

Yes, a true syndicate. I've been using the Goodell-Mara Syndicate name. Kinda catchy if I do say so myself.

Soth

Reaction score
Firstly, here is the rule I pulled from the 2016 Rule Book when I was debating it at the time (red highlight).

(e) For an offensive substitute who moves onto the field inside the field numerals and leaves without participating in one play:
Unsportsmanlike Conduct. See 5-2-5 Note.

Thanks. So clearly this was a penalty under the rules. One thing that bothers me is... why has it only been called twice in modern history? I am pretty sure I read at the time it has only been called twice in decades. So does this mean no player has ever gone inside the numerals without participating in a play in decades?

I get that the rulebook was correctly applied to the Cowboys, but not applying it to other teams is also unfair. I obviously can't prove that this has not happened but it would be almost impossible for there to be only 2 situations in which this has happened.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thread for all who think the NFL and its officiating is prejudiced against the Cowboys (or not):

Why do you think the NFL wouldn't want Dallas to succeed? The Cowboys have the biggest fan base, generate the most revenue and draw the highest ratings. Wouldn't Dallas going deep in the playoffs (and a Super Bowl appearance every few years) be exactly what the league would want? It would fatten the league's pockets.

If the NFL is prejudiced, then this is claiming that the league is prejudiced against its own interests.
Tinfoil is rampant with this one.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Thanks. So clearly this was a penalty under the rules. One thing that bothers me is... why has it only been called twice in modern history? I am pretty sure I read at the time it has only been called twice in decades. So does this mean no player has ever gone inside the numerals without participating in a play in decades?

I get that the rulebook was correctly applied to the Cowboys, but not applying it to other teams is also unfair. I obviously can't prove that this has not happened but it would be almost impossible for there to be only 2 situations in which this has happened.

Maybe it's like offsides where the refs give a warning or two before calling it.

Soth

Reaction score
Yes, a true syndicate. I've been using the Goodell-Mara Syndicate name. Kinda catchy if I do say so myself.

It is not a syndicate, that is just how the league works. Do you disagree that decisions are made by a majority of the owners? If enough owners agree, they can hire/fire the commissioner. Under current league rules, the commissioner has significant power. For example, there is a lot of subjectivity when it comes to player suspensions (ie Zeke) and the appeals process is handled by an arbitrator that reports to Goodell. Said another way, he can essentially make any decision he wants as long as he has sufficient support from the owners. This is not done in secret. It can be done out in the open because the NFL makes its own rules.

I always go back to the cap penalty because it is the most egregious example of the NFL making up rules. There was no cap in 2010 yet the Cowboys and Commanders were penalized for front loading contracts. There was no rule against this and these contracts were actually approved by the league. Yes, the teams were warned not to do this by Goodell but there was no rule preventing this. It is like if Goodell warns the Cowboys not to start Dak. Sure he can try that but why should the Cowboys comply? So how were they able to do this if the Cowboys did not violate any rules? Because the NFL commissioner can do whatever he wants as long as enough owners support him (and sometimes you need the NFLPA too). It is a fallacy to believe there is "justice" or "fairness" in the NFL.

plymkr

Reaction score
See, this is where fans expose themselves for not knowing the rules.

On the Dez play, your average football fan didn't know that once a player goes to the ground those rules take over from the "upright" rules and you have to maintain possession of the ball through the ground. No matter if you took 3 steps. No matter if you held the ball out. No matter if you waved to your mama on the way down. The ONLY thing that gets a receiver out of "going to the ground" is if he executes a proper lunge because that shows you aren't going to the ground if you're able to change your trajectory and that is what qualifies as a football move. All Dez had to do was keep the ball off the ground and that's a catch even with the bobble. The official on the field was blocked from seeing that which is why the reverse angle is the one that overturned the call.

As for Butler in 2016, the officials announced the call wrong about a huddle. Butler's foul was running into the game to sub and then not participating in a play. In the video below, you even see the ref signal to the Line Judge after Butler runs out. Even still, the Cowboys coaches could have called time out to reset and not have the foul apply. They didn't. They didn't know the rules in sending him out there and then didn't use the escape hatch by calling timeout.

So, who got to Crayton to tell him to slow down in 2007 and not catch a sure TD that would have beaten the Giants? The Syndicate has massive reach I'm learning. Lol.

Butler-Huddle.gif
Didn't the league recently announce that Dez caught it and they blew the call?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Because the NFL can have their cake and eat it too when it comes to Dallas.

The NFL can clown on the cowboys every season and the result is still the same. Most valuable sports franchise in the world and major cash cow for the league. It doesn’t change.

Nothing will change until this front office starts growing a spine and fighting back.

Cowboys probably have the most hatewatchers as well. The East Coast in particular hates the Cowboys. It's not just the NFC East, it's a cultural thing with Texas.

Why should Jerry fight back? As you say, "Most valuable sports franchise in the world".

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Didn't the league recently announce that Dez caught it and they blew the call?

No. The only thing they've said on the play afterwards is that it would have been a catch by today's rules back when they made that rule change a few years back.

lockster

Reaction score
Because the NFL has the same issues that sport forums have, illegal control of speech

Motorola

Reaction score
Because Cowboys have always had A GOODY-TWO-SHOES REPUTATION. Tom Landry was a devote Christian, and people equated that to the Cowboys being "God's Team". Hence the saying, " The hole on the roof of Texas Stadium was put there so God can watch his team".
People are just sick of THE CLEAN SPARKLING silver and blue....and always seeing them on tv.
All this rubbed some people the wrong way.
Lance Rentzel - Thomas Henderson- Michael Irvin - "The White House" - Erik Williams- Nate Newton - Josh Brent - Ezekiel Elliott
I've left out a few others - someone fill them in.

Last edited:

KeepinTime

Reaction score
Thread for all who think the NFL and its officiating is prejudiced against the Cowboys (or not):

Why do you think the NFL wouldn't want Dallas to succeed? The Cowboys have the biggest fan base, generate the most revenue and draw the highest ratings. Wouldn't Dallas going deep in the playoffs (and a Super Bowl appearance every few years) be exactly what the league would want? It would fatten the league's pockets.

If the NFL is prejudiced, then this is claiming that the league is prejudiced against its own interests.

You make a really good point here.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Im not really into conspiracies right now , but i will say this :

Trashell (goodell) SUCKS !

TheHerd

Reaction score
Every since Jerry took them on in 1995, it's been open season on Dallas. Since then, tere's anti-Dallas bias, despite what some say. Google it.

Mannix

Reaction score
Steelers have always been the leagues pet, with Green Bay having pulled even over the last decade....most of the referees are now the age to have been prime Cowboy haters during the 90's.

Hardline

Reaction score
The league gets more satisfaction giving the Cowboys the middle finger.

JBond

Reaction score
Having the Cowboys stuck in the middle with league parity makes the other teams happy.

They have everything they can to avoid the mess fo MLB and the Yankees buying a championship.
The fun part is we we have disruptive players on both sides of the ball. The narrative will be broken and we go on a wild run. Keep drafting the best players and good things will happen.

The kids want generational money, as we all want. Get the hungry studs that want it and deserve it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If this team is good enough, we'll win, regardless of Goodell. We've been ok so far, at least. Let's just hope it continues! :grin:

NotForLong

Reaction score

Through Gambling . . . I always say this. . . . As Cowboy Fans with the biggest Fan Base . . . All we would have to do is bet against the Cowboys every week . . . And The Fixers will all find a way to ensure The Cowboys win every week . . . Why do you think the Cowboys always play at 3:25 or later (PRIMETIME) to ensue the 12:00 games are ended and the Public can bet for or against the most polarizing Team in the Nation. . . (You either love the Cowboys or you Hate them)

Its that simple . . . this week all the Money went in for the Cowboys . . . the line moved and Cowboys get blown out .

With all the upsets this week I would Wager that The Mafia got all their loses back for the year

So for as little as $20 a week we as fans can make a difference and send this team to the Super Bowl. . . . Every week bet for them to lose

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Through Gambling . . . I always say this. . . . As Cowboy Fans with the biggest Fan Base . . . All we would have to do is bet against the Cowboys every week . . . And The Fixers will all find a way to ensure The Cowboys win every week . . . Why do you think the Cowboys always play at 3:25 or later (PRIMETIME) to ensue the 12:00 games are ended and the Public can bet for or against the most polarizing Team in the Nation. . . (You either love the Cowboys or you Hate them)

Its that simple . . . this week all the Money went in for the Cowboys . . . the line moved and Cowboys get blown out .

With all the upsets this week I would Wager that The Mafia got all their loses back for the year

So for as little as $20 a week we as fans can make a difference and send this team to the Super Bowl. . . . Every week bet for them to lose
Interesting take