If we give Irving a 1st round tender

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's good, but I just don't trust him.

I don't trust him either, but that doesn't mean I would be foolish about how to handle him.

I think the OP is spot on with concerns that the guy might be pursued even with a first round tender on him, much less a lower one.

And, given what this team's defensive tackle situation now looks like thanks to numerous misses and mistakes, that's not a position where I would be eager to open up more holes, with even more questions to answer.

Sydla

Reaction score
For me its what value are you getting. If someone is going to throw tag money him, and you get top 15 pick back. Let him walk.

However, if they are willing to pay him market value. You match

Yeah I could see that. I just assume a team willing to do that would be picking in the 20s. A team close to playoff or a SB run looking to fortify their DL.

Now if a team with a Top 12 pick wants him...... Yeah, that changes things.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
With the extra pick, we could add two new trench players for the next five years. And then pay someone else in fa with the money you would have given him. It would be like getting a player in fa at his value, and then the extra pick. Which is a gamble, but if you win on the gamble huge hit.

Reaction score
Irving is a 24 year old D lineman with double digit sack potential. If we re-sign he and DLaw our defensive line is set for years other than needing a bigger body at 1 tech.

I think the move is to try to sign him long term to a deal that is attractive to him and the team, and if that doesn't work, you give him the 1st round tender and see just how much somebody is willing to offer.