If we give Irving a 1st round tender

RamziD

Reaction score
What is it going to take for people to realize that outside an overall top 5 or 10 DL, the chances of getting a DL that is going to produce right away at a high level is really slim? I don’t understand the obsession with giving up a known commodity with a complete unknown?

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Ouch. But I might do the same. Definately for a second though. I just don't see him as more than a JAG player.

Well I’m not going to pay him, so he can walk or be depth for cheap. Might as well get something. But he’s probably better than what depth you get at 4th round.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
What is it going to take for people to realize that outside an overall top 5 or 10 DL, the chances of getting a DL that is going to produce right away at a high level is really slim? I don’t understand the obsession with giving up a known commodity with a complete unknown?

I agreed that his replacement probably wouldn’t be as good as him, but if the pick is high enough, the money saved could get you more over all value after you spend it and get the new player.

RamziD

Reaction score
I agreed that his replacement probably wouldn’t be as good as him, but if the pick is high enough, the money saved could get you more over all value after you spend it and get the new player.
Yes, you may get good long term value, but you almost might get set back 1-2 Years. At what point do you stop building for a couple of years from now and just go for it? With your QB and all-world RB on rookie contracts, now is the best time.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Yes, you may get good long term value, but you almost might get set back 1-2 Years. At what point do you stop building for a couple of years from now and just go for it? With your QB and all-world RB on rookie contracts, now is the best time.

That is true no doubt. I personally always like to build long term, but doesn’t mean I’m always right.

Beats_By_Zeke

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the downside of tendering him a 1st round grade? Does this raise the base salary when we keep him or something?
Im trying to figure out why more teams do not tender players with a 1st round.

conner01

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the downside of tendering him a 1st round grade? Does this raise the base salary when we keep him or something?
Im trying to figure out why more teams do not tender players with a 1st round.
Just costs more. About a million more than a second rnd tender I believe. Also less chance a team will even make an offer since it involves a deal and a first rnd pick.if you can get away with a second rnd tender you save money

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
With the extra pick, we could add two new trench players for the next five years. And then pay someone else in fa with the money you would have given him. It would be like getting a player in fa at his value, and then the extra pick. Which is a gamble, but if you win on the gamble huge hit.
This x100
Or we could trade both 1s for a super stud Top 5 DL

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Just costs more. About a million more than a second rnd tender I believe. Also less chance a team will even make an offer since it involves a deal and a first rnd pick.if you can get away with a second rnd tender you save money
You also want to entice the other team to bite.....you might get a 2nd but a 1st is a non-starter

The League has done away with Poison Pill that ruined the right to match loaded offers, so there is no huge risk........ the new team has to pay a 1st round pick and a top dollar contract...... there are usually FAs that just cost money or Draft picks that cost little money

datmayne

Reaction score
Finally get a decent pass rush and people want to unload one of the best young DTs in the league? His age combined with his production easily is worth a first rounder. Thankfully Will McClay is in charge and not some people on here.

conner01

Reaction score
You also want to entice the other team to bite.....you might get a 2nd but a 1st is a non-starter

The League has done away with Poison Pill that ruined the right to match loaded offers, so there is no huge risk........ the new team has to pay a 1st round pick and a top dollar contract...... there are usually FAs that just cost money or Draft picks that cost little money
Exactly
In Irving’s case you don’t want even a nibble

Reaction score
And I hope not.

He's an animal and we're lucky to even have him.

It would be a huge loss to lose him.
you only got so much cap cash and a lot to spread around. Placing a 1st round tender on him would either yield a new, rookie top shelf player or keeping one of the best value dtackles available for approx $4M