If we give Irving a 1st round tender

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Finally get a decent pass rush and people want to unload one of the best young DTs in the league? His age combined with his production easily is worth a first rounder. Thankfully Will McClay is in charge and not some people on here.
No one wants to get rid of him

They are just saying what could happen with a 4th year RFA

If a team wants to give up a 1st and 17m a year that is hard to match

erod

Reaction score
I don't trust him either, but that doesn't mean I would be foolish about how to handle him.

I think the OP is spot on with concerns that the guy might be pursued even with a first round tender on him, much less a lower one.

And, given what this team's defensive tackle situation now looks like thanks to numerous misses and mistakes, that's not a position where I would be eager to open up more holes, with even more questions to answer.
I'm just sick of leading the NFL in games missed with suspensions.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm just sick of leading the NFL in games missed with suspensions.

I'm not happy about it either, but I'm not chasing Irving away as a result. He's a bit of a bonehead, but I don't think his suspension was malicious but carelessness.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The cold hard truth is, there are players with freakish talent that a couple problems off the field you overlook. Irving will be one of those guys.

Unless it becomes a consistent pattern with him in the NFL, you can't give him up easily. I'm more concerned with the injuries he's gotten, I believe he's had two concussions thus far? That's more of a worry.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Demarcus Lawrence was a 2nd round pick. Charles Haley was a 3rd rounder. Tony Tolbert was a 4th.

I am all for keeping David Irving....if he stays motivated and available.
examples of three pass rushers from as for back as twenty years ago really isn't very encouraging
in fact it supports the point, pay your players

TWOK11

Reaction score
Max tender is a first and a third, and I'd definitely trade that for Irving.

Tender him, make him perform at this level and stay clean another year then lock him up.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I've always heard that you put a tender on this kind of player let the other team do the work and then match the offer "IF" you want to keep them and all the hard work is done for you.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Can we cut Crawford and give his money to Irving?

Crawford is playing at a high level as well. He's not getting elite money, and after all the elite DTs got their contracts last year, his contract is small in comparison. Especially with how it's structured.

Teams need players like Crawford and getting rid of him won't be a + for this team. Irving will get his money even with Crawford on the team.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Of course. If your talking paying him 14 million per or getting a top 15 pick. Give me the pick. If your under 12 million and looking at getting one of the last 5 of the first round. Give me Irving

I don't think there are many teams that will give up both a Top 15 pick & 14m per year, but if that were the case, then our hand would certainly be forced.

I agree in general, there is certainly a point at which the money isn't worth it, especially if you get a 1st rounder in return for passing.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
For those that tend to criticize the Cowboys FO more than most, please take the time to learn how wrong you are by making notes on how this plays out in due time. The Cowboys will end up keeping Demarcus Lawrence and David Irving and won't overpay to do so. I just hope you have the patience for this lesson. ;)

HungryLion

Reaction score
Crawford is playing at a high level as well. He's not getting elite money, and after all the elite DTs got their contracts last year, his contract is small in comparison. Especially with how it's structured.

Teams need players like Crawford and getting rid of him won't be a + for this team. Irving will get his money even with Crawford on the team.

I am not really anti Crawford. But he is overpaid.

Zman5

Reaction score
He's good, but I just don't trust him.

And you trust JG and this FO to find us a good defensive player? Go back and look at all the defensive players we picked during the JG era. It's not pretty.

With the 1str round pick we'd get from Irving, we'll probably end up drafting a player like Mo or BJones.