If we just pay everyone

kskboys

Reaction score
You mean that thing fabricated by the owners so they can trick fans that they have no choice but to not spend money ......... yes I am aware of it.
It's not being fabricated, it's real.

If salaries get too high, the league would take a huge hit, which would hurt future players.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
You mean that thing fabricated by the owners so they can trick fans that they have no choice but to not spend money ......... yes I am aware of it.

Dear boy, dear naïve street urchin.
If you knew anything about NFL economics, you'd know that, yes, while the cap offers some relief to hyper-rich owners and monetary limits to players, its primary design and intention was to provide a level playing field.

By that, I mean an atmosphere approaching parity among the franchises.

Without a cap, how could a franchise like Cincinnati compete with the likes of a Dallas or the Giants?
Can you see The Pack (fan-owned) paying their QB $30 mil a year while the Eagles pay theirs $60 mil? An exaggeration, yes, but I want to paint as broad a picture in crayolas for you as I can.

A cap saves money for the owner but more than anything it keeps the diverse teams on more even footing.

I hope you understood that, misguided lad.

I hope, with the proper encouragement, that you engage here with more quality conversation, not with pseudo NFL economics prattle you toss about.

To smooth over things I am sending you a gift basket that contains a shawl me Mum knitted for you before she nodded off to heaven. Her last words were "Bosco!" I think it was about you, she worried so much about you and Amber the dancer.

Last edited:

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
If we pay everyone , in two years time they will all want to re-negotiate their existing contracts with 3 years left .

Its gonna get pretty intense.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
It’s all relative. We don’t mind actors making 25-40 million a film or Rappers making 100 million a tour.

The owners implemented this Salary Cap crap not the players. Of course it’s totally ridiculous to pay 80% of the Cap to 5-10 players.

What I think it’s an injustice is all the players making minimum wage. Who in their right mind would subject themselves to the risk physically for $480,000 ? Not getting me out there. No frikin way..

Well with the divas hogging most of the salary cap, minimum wage is all that's left.

John813

Reaction score
When you use a large percentage of your salary cap on just a few players, you are left w/ JAG's elsewhere, and if someone goes down, the replacement is mostly going to be grossly subpar.

Football is a rough game and people get hurt. Having quality backups is extremely important.

Hence the draft and the ability to identify talent for your coaches.

Injuries can ruin a season and not all spots can be adequately replaced.

Decent players get paid like they are good. Good players get paid like they are great. Etc.

I rather pay the guys who are great to elite. Now of course the QB spot is the hardest one to find great to elite talent. Hence why guys like Dak will still get over 30 mil on average.
Dallas got lucky they drafted elite offensive line talent. Smart to retain the 3 that they did since they were considered one of the best at their respective positions.
D-law is a great DE. Not elite but can play the run and pass very well.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
That statement is ambiguous at best. What do you mean by, "as some people suggest"? I don't keep up with the grapevine so you'll have to do better than that if you want to assign meaning to your comments. What are you so afraid to say that you resort to speaking in code. Just come out and say what you mean, man!

Perhaps if K had written " as some have implied" you could understand more?
You seem to have trouble with nuance, am I correct?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Decent players get paid like they are good. Good players get paid like they are great. Etc.

I rather pay the guys who are great to elite. Now of course the QB spot is the hardest one to find great to elite talent. Hence why guys like Dak will still get over 30 mil on average.
Dallas got lucky they drafted elite offensive line talent. Smart to retain the 3 that they did since they were considered one of the best at their respective positions.

I tend to agree, somewhat.
Mostly, I like how you keep a civil tongue, lad.

morat1959

Reaction score
Great question and I am not sure we know the answer to that. One equation we know is false is that fat payroll = success. We've seen that fail time and time again.

The itchy part of this is that this QB needs a strong supporting cast around him but at the same time wants to be one of the top paid QB's. This is not like having McMahon, Dilfer or Johnson and a great D to lead the team, this D isn't close to those but this QB is close to those 3 QB's.

To answer your question with a question, do we know we are a strong team? Pisses a lot of the posters off but most of the analysts don't think much of the Cowboys chances this season and I've got them no better than 5th in the NFC. And having the highest offensive payroll in NFL history doesn't change that.
Well said!

morat1959

Reaction score
This team hasn't really gone through a fullblown rebuild in like 20 years, and certainly not perpetually. They've managed to re-tool and be competitive on the fly in very impressive fashion.
Nothing is impressive in the last 23-24 years.

kskboys

Reaction score

Of course. The QB position is in an entirely different category. You have to pay your QB, there's simply no alternative.

The question comes when you have a bunch of them coming up. Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon, Byron, which OL's aren't paid, Hill, Woods. Who do you pay? You cannot keep everyone, of that there's no doubt.

kskboys

Reaction score
NE does but he is selective where he puts that money and when. He will pay CB's and he will DL and OL if he doesn't think he has the replacement in mind. He got his cap to where he could give his QB an 8M bump and they have one of his youngest teams ever.

Belichick decided with the evolution of the NFL passing game that his emphasis would be on those CBs and he has 2 of the top 6 and will pick more and go the FA route if he misses but he's decided that is critical and it has an ancillary benefit. His WR's work against CB's that are designed for the quick shutdown and his QB gets rid of the ball faster than any other QB. His QB and WR's are working against the top tandem in the league and his CB's against the quickest release.

That's like a team having their run D work against the best RB so they're prepared against the run. What? Really? Never mind.
Depends on what he has. He has also paid DT's and OL's in the past.

John813

Reaction score
Of course. The QB position is in an entirely different category. You have to pay your QB, there's simply no alternative.

The question comes when you have a bunch of them coming up. Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon, Byron, which OL's aren't paid, Hill, Woods. Who do you pay? You cannot keep everyone, of that there's no doubt.

That I agree with 100%. There will be some tough choices and they can't keep everyone.
Personally the only must re-signs for me are Cooper, Jaylon. And I guess Zeke but he's at least elite for his position.

Tough decision among Jones and Brown. If Brown were to take a fair deal for a slot corner I would keep him and let Jones walk.
Let Woods walk too. Keep churning at that spot and gain some comp picks.

kskboys

Reaction score
That I agree with 100%. There will be some tough choices and they can't keep everyone.
Personally the only must re-signs for me are Cooper, Jaylon. And I guess Zeke but he's at least elite for his position.

Tough decision among Jones and Brown. If Brown were to take a fair deal for a slot corner I would keep him and let Jones walk.
Let Woods walk too. Keep churning at that spot and gain some comp picks.
Of course, but it's all opinion. What really sucks is if your GM makes a bad decision and keeps the wrong guy and it costs you dearly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well with the divas hogging most of the salary cap, minimum wage is all that's left.
I think all the min wage guys( about 80% ) should hold out.

Can we even imaging working side by side with someone making 30 million while we’re making a half million.