If we just pay everyone

Proof

Reaction score
NBA has a very hard cap w/ each individual player having a cap. I'm not getting your point here.

the salaries are guaranteed and much higher than nfl salaries. They also have mechanisms in place that allow teams to retain talent by offering more than anyone else. Teams can and often do also willingly go over the salary cap. It’s a far better model and the league is more popular than ever.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
There is something fundamentally wrong with the salaries being bandied about. According to agents, Dallas has:
- The best RB in football
- One of the best WR's in football
- One of the best DE's in football
- Some very good DB's
- Two of the best LB's
- One of the best OL's
- A QB who should be nearly the highest paid player in the NFL

Basically, almost across the board Dallas is near the best..
It's hard to argue with most of those "rankings", though, except for Dak being one of the highest paid.

Fact is, this team is stacked.

kskboys

Reaction score
the salaries are guaranteed and much higher than nfl salaries. They also have mechanisms in place that allow teams to retain talent by offering more than anyone else. Teams can and often do also willingly go over the salary cap. It’s a far better model and the league is more popular than ever.
More games and fewer players. Not surprised. However, aren't top players making close to what QB's are making? And there are limits to what teams can pay players.

Proof

Reaction score
More games and fewer players. Not surprised. However, aren't top players making close to what QB's are making? And there are limits to what teams can pay players.

top nba players? There’s a handful of guys making 40 mil a yr fully guaranteed.
Baseball salaries dwarf nfl too. Bottom line the nfl would be more than fine moving forward if they allow the players to make more

kskboys

Reaction score
top nba players? There’s a handful of guys making 40 mil a yr fully guaranteed.
Baseball salaries dwarf nfl too. Bottom line the nfl would be more than fine moving forward if they allow the players to make more
Yeah, but the income is limited due to large rosters and only 16 games.

Since the salary cap is going up every year, what do you mean by more?

Proof

Reaction score
Yeah, but the income is limited due to large rosters and only 16 games.

Since the salary cap is going up every year, what do you mean by more?

It’s really not though they have probably equivalent amount of televised games overall (excluding playoffs) and their revenue nearly doubles the NBAs (13 billion to 7 billion). And yes salary’s go up each year for sure, but the cap should be higher or gone altogether. Baseball doesn’t have a cap, has huge rosters and has the most parity of all the leagues.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s really not though they have probably equivalent amount of televised games overall (excluding playoffs) and their revenue nearly doubles the NBAs (13 billion to 7 billion). And yes salary’s go up each year for sure, but the cap should be higher or gone altogether. Baseball doesn’t have a cap, has huge rosters and has the most parity of all the leagues.
I guess I have to rest on my bigger rosters argument then!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to admit, paying 53 as opposed to 12 players comes out to quite a bit of difference.

Proof

Reaction score
I guess I have to rest on my bigger rosters argument then!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to admit, paying 53 as opposed to 12 players comes out to quite a bit of difference.

absolutely. The roster sizes are obviously a factor, there’s just more than enough money to go around. Especially when they can pay Goodell 44 mil a yr and give him private jet access for life lol

kskboys

Reaction score
absolutely. The roster sizes are obviously a factor, there’s just more than enough money to go around. Especially when they can pay Goodell 44 mil a yr and give him private jet access for life lol
And w/ a minimum over half a mil and several players round 30 mil, they are spreading the money around.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pay them and it's one and done.

Hard decisions, of that I'm well aware. Although people are screaming from the rooftops as to who should be paid, it's a very dicey situation and we fans certainly don't know.
This is the essence of cap management. Pay some. Continue drafting well. Constantly rebuilding/reloading. Too many fans around here think once we have a great player, “we can’t possibly win without him”, which is exactly what this GM tends to do...think like a fan.

And that’s exactly the kind of thinking that led us to the 2010-13 years. Without good cap management, a team loses its ability to be flexible. And it gets bloated on a few contracts.

It’s been proven year after year that you don’t have to have a star RB to win a SB. Too many fans think this team is only made up of star players. But there a ton of guys on rookie deals that will make or break a team EVERY YEAR.

I honestly believe if this FO signs the new so called “Triplets” to market setting deals, this team will be hamstrung, not helped. You can’t sign everyone. And no self respecting NFL player (besides Tom Brady) will sign here for some “hometown discount”. Tough decisions must be made...and soon.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
More games and fewer players. Not surprised.
However, aren't top players making close to what QB's are making? And there are limits to what teams can pay players.

That's a big difference maker....A lot "More games and fewer players".

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
People are screaming that we should "just pay them". Or him.

Not code, it's very very simple. When you start handing out max contracts, your team suffers elsewhere. And that keeps you from advancing in the playoffs, and has the added effect of shortening the window.

I have no clue how you got "fear" out of this.
I believe Jerry wants to pay our guys ASAP. It's just a matter of settling on an amount that they can all agree on. What we have here is a simple case of greed.

We have a RB that regardless of how good he has been on the field, has been involved in numerous incidents of poor judgment that have required the intervention of the NFL commissioner. Now, with 2 years still remaining on his rookie contract, he holds out from training camp demanding more money than a RB has ever received. How is that reasonable?

We have a QB that, according to reports, is asking for more money than a QB has ever received. His previous performance does not suggest he will ever play up to that caliber. How is that reasonable?

We have a receiver that changed the course of our season in 2018 when he joined our team. Because he has expressed confidence in the FO and his agent to get a new deal done, he may have to wait the longest to actually get one. How is that reasonable?

I'd give Amari a new deal first because his current contract weighs the heaviest against the current salary cap. But the greed of Dak and Zeke may make doing so financially impossible to do. At least Dak bothered to show up to camp. The actions of Ezekiel Elliott are abhorrent, IMO. I can not rationalize how he can show such disrespect to an organization that has been so good to him. He is holding this season for ransom.

Hadenough

Reaction score
If there is one guy on this team that deserves to be paid its Zeke. HIs off the field incidents are petty crap that most young guys have been through. Without Zeke this team doesnt beat Seattle or even make the playoffs in 2016, 2018. Zeke and hi sagent saw what happened with Murray and the Cowboys and he knows this year could be special and thats why he has leverage. I dont blame him one bit and to be honest I kinda want to see how Dak plays without him. I want to see how Amari does when he is the guy defenses are focusing on to stop. If his holdout goes into the season were gonna find out Dak, Amari and Zekes value. Dallas will beat the crappy teams but they wont have a chance against better teams.

sideon

Reaction score
I don't mind the players making the money, but 50 million bucks is being sneezed at and called "disrespecting". One of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

I used to think I'd always be a football fan, but I'm starting to wonder.
Players have every right to get as much money as they can. Their #1 priority is to look out for them and their family, not the team or your personal interest.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Players have every right to get as much money as they can. Their #1 priority is to look out for them and their family, not the team or your personal interest.

While you're right, this is still what is ruining the NFL. I'm not just talking about the players, the greedy owners are to blame too...

kskboys

Reaction score
They absolutely do. I haven't seen a single person argue that they don't.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on what he has. He has also paid DT's and OL's in the past.
Yes, but he's careful not to do all of them at once. He always seems to select his must have players, as he did Wilfork, and then when he's not as dependent on that player, makes his move.

However, I did notice his move to the DB's, particularly the CB's, and he was not great at picking them in the draft so he'd use FA for that when the rules began to shift to favor the passing game.