If we just pay everyone

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I'd rather be 4-12 than 8-8.
Yea for one year. We're talking about never paying stars, which means perpetually being a 4-12 team. It's literally the approach that Cleveland took for the past decade, until like last year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think all the min wage guys( about 80% ) should hold out.

Can we even imaging working side by side with someone making 30 million while we’re making a half million.
I think some look at that half a mil vs what they'd be doing in the real world too. But we all have the tendency to compare ourselves to those in our industry.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think some look at that half a mil vs what they'd be doing in the real world too. But we all have the tendency to compare ourselves to those in our industry.
I guess there’s a lot of fans who aren’t acquainted with normal guys out there making 6 digit figures. Probably not too many of these athletes anyway.

But there’s many professions which pay 6 figure digits coming out of college if you’re in the top 10% of your field. Companies lined up to recruit you. And you won’t be subject to career ending injuries or lifelong disabilities.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess there’s a lot of fans who aren’t acquainted with normal guys out there making 6 digit figures. Probably not too many of these athletes anyway.

But there’s many professions which pay 6 figure digits coming out of college if you’re in the top 10% of your field. Companies lined up to recruit you. And you won’t be subject to career ending injuries or lifelong disabilities.
If you've listened to interviews with most of these players, Fortune 500's aren't racing to offer them six figures.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If you've listened to interviews with most of these players, Fortune 500's aren't racing to offer them six figures.

Fortune 500s generally can't sell 80,000 tickets every time their employees go to work, and they don't get multi-billion dollar TV deals.

The NFL is rolling in money and people resent the players getting their share of it. Are you worried Jerry can't buy another yacht?

kskboys

Reaction score
Fortune 500s generally can't sell 80,000 tickets every time their employees go to work, and they don't get multi-billion dollar TV deals.

The NFL is rolling in money and people resent the players getting their share of it. Are you worried Jerry can't buy another yacht?
No one is resenting the players getting their share of it.

Blackrain

Reaction score
as some are suggesting, it's back to 8-8. That is what this formula gets you. Paying a few stars a ton of money always leads back to mediocrity. Especially if they're mostly on one side of the ball.

I didn't read through all of it by having a Mediocre coaching staff that cant make the best use of great talent before it has to be paid or lost leads to mediocrity. We have enough talent on both sides of the ball to get to a SB but not enough talent on the sidelines to put them in the right position to get there

kskboys

Reaction score
I didn't read through all of it by having a Mediocre coaching staff that cant make the best use of great talent before it has to be paid or lost leads to mediocrity. We have enough talent on both sides of the ball to get to a SB but not enough talent on the sidelines to put them in the right position to get there
Possibly. However, that talent will not last if we start paying people.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Possibly. However, that talent will not last if we start paying people.

All true but you either have to pay for enough talent to stay competitive or be able to coach up lesser talent . When you are confident in your coaching you can let players go and draft young cap friendly guys that can be coached to fill roles and keep you competitive .

We don't have the coaching to do that so if we want good football to watch we need to make some tough decisions and pay the talented ones we can count on to make good decisions and be available to play .

That's about the best we can hope for that the guys we do pay big money to are available to play not suspended for off field crap hooked on dope or injury prone .

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't mind the players making the money, but 50 million bucks is being sneezed at and called "disrespecting". One of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

I used to think I'd always be a football fan, but I'm starting to wonder.

Right? The public display of greed and uber wealth is sickening. I prefer the pre-salary cap era when wages were not such a public issue.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Players have every right to get as much money as they can.
Their #1 priority is to look out for them and their family, not the team or your personal interest.

That's true for them as well as all of us. If you're not making 40-50 mil, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. The price of milk and diapers for the baby goes up every year, so a guy has to go out there and beat the bushes for those nickels and dimes!

My #1 football priority is for the Dallas Cowboys as a team, not for how many yachts and Ferraris each player owns.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's true for them as well as all of us. If you're not making 40-50 mil, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. The price of milk and diapers for the baby goes up every year, so a guy has to go out there and beat the bushes for those nickels and dimes!

My #1 football priority is for the Dallas Cowboys as a team, not for how many yachts and Ferraris each player owns.

Bingo. I am baffled by the fans rooting for players to get paid huge sums that are detrimental to the teams cap and negatively effect the teams ability to pay other players.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
With Zeke, he could be done in two or three years. I don’t think it matters how good a RB is, taking one in the top 4 is bad form because if they end up being a great player they are going to want that huge second contract which you probably aren’t going to get the return that you want. But when you spend that high of a pick on him, you almost feel forced to pay him. Probably wouldn’t be as bad if it’s a Ramsey that you are paying.

With Cooper, you just don’t know what you have. Was great at Oakland initially, then disappeared. Was great at Dallas initially, but will he keep it up? There’s a risk there but the fact that you spent a first on him almost forces you to take that risk.

And with Dak, man who knows. He’s been a solid QB but he’s the kind of guy that needs great talent at pretty much every offensive position around him to be elevated, and even then he rarely if ever gives you four quarters of great play. You pay him the numbers being thrown around in addition to what Tank, Zeke, Coop, Jones, Jalen, etcetera got / will get, can you put enough good talent around him to elevate him? I sort of agree with everyone that says this team appears headed towards 4 or 5 years of 7 to 10 win seasons and a couple of one & done playoff appearances.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Right? The public display of greed and uber wealth is sickening.
I prefer the pre-salary cap era when wages were not such a public issue.

You and me both. The sport used to be about football! Now it's about greed, and NOT just the owners! I used to know all the players on the team every year because the starting roster didn't change much. Now your good players play musical chairs from team to team. Your favorite players are likely to be your enemy in a year or two.
I agree with you, the public display of raw hyper greed is a definite distraction and it's ruining the sport.

kskboys

Reaction score
All true but you either have to pay for enough talent to stay competitive or be able to coach up lesser talent . When you are confident in your coaching you can let players go and draft young cap friendly guys that can be coached to fill roles and keep you competitive .

We don't have the coaching to do that so if we want good football to watch we need to make some tough decisions and pay the talented ones we can count on to make good decisions and be available to play .

That's about the best we can hope for that the guys we do pay big money to are available to play not suspended for off field crap hooked on dope or injury prone .
And yet if we max out 5-6 players, the rest of the roster will suffer and we won't have a chance anyway. Think the triplets. After we paid them, the roster slowly went down hill. Won't be any different.

kskboys

Reaction score
With Zeke, he could be done in two or three years. I don’t think it matters how good a RB is, taking one in the top 4 is bad form because if they end up being a great player they are going to want that huge second contract which you probably aren’t going to get the return that you want. But when you spend that high of a pick on him, you almost feel forced to pay him. Probably wouldn’t be as bad if it’s a Ramsey that you are paying.

With Cooper, you just don’t know what you have. Was great at Oakland initially, then disappeared. Was great at Dallas initially, but will he keep it up? There’s a risk there but the fact that you spent a first on him almost forces you to take that risk.

And with Dak, man who knows. He’s been a solid QB but he’s the kind of guy that needs great talent at pretty much every offensive position around him to be elevated, and even then he rarely if ever gives you four quarters of great play. You pay him the numbers being thrown around in addition to what Tank, Zeke, Coop, Jones, Jalen, etcetera got / will get, can you put enough good talent around him to elevate him? I sort of agree with everyone that says this team appears headed towards 4 or 5 years of 7 to 10 win seasons and a couple of one & done playoff appearances.
It's just as bad or worse w/ Ramsey. The CB position doesn't affect the game anywhere near how a RB does.

And RB's last until around the age of 30. A RB built like Zeke will most likely be productive until around the age of 32 or 33. That's the way it generally works.

No QB in the history of football has consistently given 4 quarters of great play. That's simply a product of too much highlight watching and not enough game watching.

However, I do not agree w/ paying him top 5 money.

Agree on Coop.

kskboys

Reaction score
Bingo. I am baffled by the fans rooting for players to get paid huge sums that are detrimental to the teams cap and negatively effect the teams ability to pay other players.
Agenda driven drivel, IMO.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's just as bad or worse w/ Ramsey. The CB position doesn't affect the game anywhere near how a RB does.

And RB's last until around the age of 30. A RB built like Zeke will most likely be productive until around the age of 32 or 33. That's the way it generally works.

No QB in the history of football has consistently given 4 quarters of great play. That's simply a product of too much highlight watching and not enough game watching.

However, I do not agree w/ paying him top 5 money.

Agree on Coop.

Salaries are driven by scarcity. Gurley, Barkley , and Zeke are anomolies. The AFC pro bowl roster at rb last year featured 3rd rounder, a rookie undrafted free agent, and a 4th rounder. Point is .....teams have limited resources and don't need to spend them on rbs.