If we lose tomorrow is this season a failure?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This team has nothing to do with 2007..... it barely relates to 2014

A win doesn't erase anything and a loss doesn't continue anything......there are no curses

That's one of the points I made this isn't the same team it's been 9 years since the 07 season but if the same thing happens, going one and out at home to a team we beat during the regular season it's going to make some question how we go about things and why we followed the same blueprint of mailing in the season finale like the 07 team did. Some including myself will question why we didn't follow the same plan we had in 2014 of entering the playoffs with a win when it led to some playoff success. We didn't handle the final game of this season like we handled the final game in 2014. We played to win that game in 2014 despite the game being meaningless and we had a lot of momentum entering the playoffs. We decided to mail in the season finale this season like we did in 2007 and are entering the playoffs with no momentum like we did in 2007. If we lose tomorrow it's going to make this season just like that season.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I thought the monkey was off our back when we beat Philly but it feels like it'll be there until we at least get to the NFC championship game. At least that's the vibe I get.
I just don't buy the year to year storyline stuff........there are only 29 guys left from the 2014 team still in DAL

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That's one of the points I made this isn't the same team it's been 9 years since the 07 season but if the same thing happens, going one and out at home to a team we beat during the regular season it's going to make some question how we go about things and why we followed the same blueprint of mailing in the season finale like the 07 team did. Some including myself will question why we didn't follow the same plan we had in 2014 of entering the playoffs with a win when it led to some playoff success. We didn't handle the final game of this season like we handled the final game in 2014. We played to win that game in 2014 despite the game being meaningless and we had a lot of momentum entering the playoffs. We decided to mail in the season finale this season like we did in 2007 and are entering the playoffs with no momentum like we did in 2007. If we lose tomorrow it's going to make this season just like that season.
Those are all built in excuses for loser talk........ what happened two weeks ago in a meaningless game is meaningless........fans can twist and turn and assign value to randomness all they want to feel better but there is no right or wrong way....... DAL has to come out tomorrow and take the victory by playing hard for 60 minutes.......no excuses and no gimmes

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The way he phrased it, though, it seems more geared toward the future. Not playing Romo is more a hindsight question.
While it is nice to think about a future, a lot can change in an offseason. This team is full of free agents and a lot of them will not be back. There are cornerstones like Elliott and Prescott but that is not enough. The season changed when this team started beating everyone except the Giants. With that fact, standards should change. Springboard seasons mean very little any more. A one and done is a missed opportunity with what appears to be a unique team.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rookie QB.

Once the emotions calm down anyone who says this was a failed season isn't being reasonable.

But if we lose this game in a fashion where the QB can be blamed get ready for the we should have started Romo Monday morning QBing.

I mean, I think we should start Romo but I'm saying that now. Watch and see how many people change their tune on this if we lose a close one.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Those are all built in excuses for loser talk........ what happened two weeks ago in a meaningless game is meaningless........fans can twist and turn and assign value to randomness all they want to feel better but there is no right or wrong way....... DAL has to come out tomorrow and take the victory by playing hard for 60 minutes.......no excuses and no gimmes

We didn't prepare ourselves for the playoffs as well as we did in 2014 when we were riding a 4 game winning streak into the playoffs. Everyone of our SB teams had no fewer than 2 straight wins entering the playoffs. Not saying it's all adding up to a loss tomorrow but the Cowboys have had their best playoff success entering the playoffs riding winning streaks.

willia451

Reaction score
This team has nothing to do with 2007..... it barely relates to 2014

A win doesn't erase anything and a loss doesn't continue anything......there are no curses

I agree. Every season is different. I don't expect this year's team to help purge the ghosts of the past.

I expect them to live up to the potential they have shown this season.

It starts tomorrow.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If we lose tomorrow everything goes up in smoke, the 13 wins, division title and #1 seed and the next time we see the team they'll be starting from scratch in OTA's. No guarantees next season because injuries could happen so you have to take advantage of every playoff opportunity you have because you never know when the next opportunity will come.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We have a chance to stay in the state of Texas all the way through the SB. Can't get better than that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will say this though, Garrett was around for 2007. He saw what happened in the postseason. If the club med treatment this time around brings about the same result, that falls entirely on his freckled feet.

Can you fire a coach after a 13-3 1 seed season? I don't know but I wouldn't want that kind of gutless thinking leading my team.

Let's see how they come out of the gate tomorrow.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It had to be asked. I say bigtime failure! I know a lot of you say it's gravy as we found Dak, but it's more. We are 100% healthy for the first time this year and have HFA. We lose and it might be the worst loss in Cowboys history IMO. No pressure Rooks!
There is an infinitely numbers of ways to look at the situation.

For me they've already way overachieved. Once Romo was out, the season looked like it could be a repeat of 2015. Dez even missed a few games which seemed like a big part of the problem in 2015, but this season his absence was barely noticed.

From another perceptive, they've already beaten Green Bay so they definitely have the talent to do it again.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need to win. Losing would create too many question marks going into next season. Getting to our first NFC title since 96 would be big. I really believe whomever wins tomorrow will be the NFC rep in Houston as well.

I agree. The winner of this game goes to the Super Bowl to get date raped by the Patriots.

willia451

Reaction score
Watch and see how many people change their tune on this if we lose a close one.

Ohhhhh. They're out there. You saw what happened when Dak had one or two sketchy games.

They just aren't saying anything at the moment because of the way Dak bounced back in the TB and Lions games.

But it doesn't mean they are gone.

They wait.

1125970-bigthumbnail.jpg

rwalters31

Reaction score
It had to be asked. I say bigtime failure! I know a lot of you say it's gravy as we found Dak, but it's more. We are 100% healthy for the first time this year and have HFA. We lose and it might be the worst loss in Cowboys history IMO. No pressure Rooks!
No, most had the Cowboys as one and done. Not because of the offense but the defense still needs a few pieces before it is Super Bowl quality.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
I will say this though, Garrett was around for 2007. He saw what happened in the postseason. If the club med treatment this time around brings about the same result, that falls entirely on his freckled feet.

Can you fire a coach after a 13-3 1 seed season? I don't know but I wouldn't want that kind of gutless thinking leading my team.

Let's see how they come out of the gate tomorrow.
As much as you bash the defense you should be worshipping JG for carrying this team to 13 wins. No tyron, no Dez, no Tony... Didn't matter. Now that we found our QB our future is bright regardless.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Agreed. The Cowboy SB runs are just beginning. If they don't win it this year...they will next year. So, this season is not a failure..no way..they could well go all the way or this could be a building block season! They will beat the Packers. Only one team can win it all.
Lol we're not guaranteed to be back next year. The panthers probably thought the same thing, and they actually went to the SB. If we lose tomorrow, this season is just a huge failure

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lol we're not guaranteed to be back next year. The panthers probably thought the same thing, and they actually went to the SB. If we lose tomorrow, this season is just a huge failure

Both the Panthers and Broncos missed the playoffs. You never know what the future holds, after the 2009 season and our first playoff win in 13 years it appeared we finally turned the corner, only to miss the playoffs the next 4 straight years.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Both the Panthers and Broncos missed the playoffs. You never know what the future holds, after the 2009 season and our first playoff win in 13 years it appeared we finally turned the corner, only to miss the playoffs the next 4 straight years.
Exactly, him saying we'll be back next season is just wishful thinking.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Rookie QB.

Once the emotions calm down anyone who says this was a failed season isn't being reasonable.

But if we lose this game in a fashion where the QB can be blamed get ready for the we should have started Romo Monday morning QBing.

I mean, I think we should start Romo but I'm saying that now. Watch and see how many people change their tune on this if we lose a close one.
Cop out.