If we lose tomorrow is this season a failure?

kramskoi

Reaction score
That's one of the points I made this isn't the same team it's been 9 years since the 07 season but if the same thing happens, going one and out at home to a team we beat during the regular season it's going to make some question how we go about things and why we followed the same blueprint of mailing in the season finale like the 07 team did. Some including myself will question why we didn't follow the same plan we had in 2014 of entering the playoffs with a win when it led to some playoff success. We didn't handle the final game of this season like we handled the final game in 2014. We played to win that game in 2014 despite the game being meaningless and we had a lot of momentum entering the playoffs. We decided to mail in the season finale this season like we did in 2007 and are entering the playoffs with no momentum like we did in 2007. If we lose tomorrow it's going to make this season just like that season.
I think the final game against the Eagles has absolutely nothing to do with a win or a loss tomorrow. You are either good enough when you are favored at home...or you are not. Prescott and the skill players around him will either rise to the moment or they will wilt...the defense will either continue to bend...or will break...Linehan will put the offense in positions to consistently succeed...or he won't. Momentum is an illusion...competence, preparation and perseverance are bigger keys to success. The "momentum" plan in 2014 ultimately failed because the team wasn't good enough (across the board) for long enough to advance...and maybe they won't be again, but the result of the final game will have little bearing on the outcome Sunday. 2007, 2014 and this year are completely different years...there are only two players left from that '07 squad...and one won't even be starting.

I do believe that one and done would be a horrible end to a season filled with so much promise. They have done the wildcard and divisional thing...it's time to make some real noise.

jday

Reaction score
It had to be asked. I say bigtime failure! I know a lot of you say it's gravy as we found Dak, but it's more. We are 100% healthy for the first time this year and have HFA. We lose and it might be the worst loss in Cowboys history IMO. No pressure Rooks!
In most cases, yes it would be. But from my perspective, this is only the beginning of a team who could very well be in the playoffs every year for the next several years. You have to feel good about the future, come what may.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Exactly, him saying we'll be back next season is just wishful thinking.

This board is full of a lot of wishful thinkers but you never know from one season to the next what's going to happen. The Commanders were on cloud 9 after RG3's rookie year, thinking that was just the beginning of a great career filled with a lot of wins and playoff appearances. No one would have ever dreamed that only 2 years later his career would be in the toilet and he would end up being released after the 2015 season. Probably the biggest rise and fall for a player ever in NFL history unless we're talking Michael Vick and his problems.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think the final game against the Eagles has absolutely nothing to do with a win or a loss tomorrow. You are either good enough when you are favored at home...or you are not. Prescott and the skill players around him will either rise to the moment or they will wilt...the defense will either continue to bend...or will break...Linehan will put the offense in positions to consistently succeed...or he won't. Momentum is an illusion...competence, preparation and perseverance are bigger keys to success. The "momentum" plan in 2014 ultimately failed because the team wasn't good enough (across the board) for long enough to advance...and maybe they won't be again, but the result of the final game will have little bearing on the outcome Sunday. 2007, 2014 and this year are completely different years...there are only two players left from that '07 squad...and one won't even be starting.

I do believe that one and done would be a horrible end to a season filled with so much promise. They have done the wildcard and divisional thing...it's time to make some real noise.

It may not have anything to do with what happens tomorrow but our starters didn't get much work and long layoffs haven't always benefitted the Cowboys. You want to have your team sharp and ready for the playoffs and we didn't give ourselves a chance to stay sharp entering the playoffs. All of our SB teams had no fewer than 2 straight wins entering the playoffs and you would have to go back to the 94 season to find the last Cowboys team that won a playoff game after dropping their season finale. I believe in entering the playoffs with momentum and Garrett did too until just prior to our season finale. We'll find out tomorrow if we handled things properly and are ready to play.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Agreed. The Cowboy SB runs are just beginning. If they don't win it this year...they will next year. So, this season is not a failure..no way..they could well go all the way or this could be a building block season! They will beat the Packers. Only one team can win it all.
You simply don't know this...just like no one saw 2015 coming. Dallas has been rather fortunate with injuries this year, especially with players like Sean Lee. Next year will include a tougher schedule and the dynamics of the team could be different depending on departures and injuries. The last thing Dallas wants to be known for yet again is "Next Year's Champions". The other 31 teams won't just lay down on the carpet of a Cowboy's coronation next year. The Giant's could find a running game...the Commanders a defense, the Eagles more receiving talent. You just don't know...

kramskoi

Reaction score
It may not have anything to do with what happens tomorrow but our starters didn't get much work and long layoffs haven't always benefitted the Cowboys. You want to have your team sharp and ready for the playoffs and we didn't give ourselves a chance to stay sharp entering the playoffs. All of our SB teams had no fewer than 2 straight wins entering the playoffs and you would have to go back to the 94 season to find the last Cowboys team that won a playoff game after dropping their season finale. I believe in entering the playoffs with momentum and Garrett did too until just prior to our season finale. We'll find out tomorrow if we handled things properly and are ready to play.
What did momentum do for them in 2009 and 2014? They weren't good enough my friend. This team has warts...and in some uncomfortable places. The game is trying to hide those warts long enough to get through to the next level. The defense is the X factor...and we really don't know if they can bend and not break versus three high-level quarterbacks...Rodgers, Ryan and Brady (probably). Either way, that is a terrific assemblage of signal-calling talent they have to extinguish if they want some hardware. Not something you really want to bet on. Garrett has had only one playoff appearance, hardly enough to establish a pattern of playing for momentum.

ShortRound

Reaction score
At that point is it coaching that should get us farther into the playoffs? Obviously players have to make plays but do we have the coaches to match wits with New England, Pittsburgh, Seattle?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What did momentum do for them in 2009 and 2014? They weren't good enough my friend. This team has warts...and in some uncomfortable places. The game is trying to hide those warts long enough to get through to the next level. The defense is the X factor...and we really don't know if they can bend and not break versus three high-level quarterbacks...Rodgers, Ryan and Brady (probably). Either way, that is a terrific assemblage of signal-calling talent they have to extinguish if they want some hardware. Not something you really want to bet on. Garrett has had only one playoff appearance, hardly enough to establish a pattern of playing for momentum.

Momentum at least helped the 09 and 2014 teams win a playoff game. What good came from mailing in the season finale in 2007 to rest players? A lot of teams that won SB's had warts but playing your best football entering the playoffs can help hide some of those warts. Again, we'll find out tomorrow if how we handled the end of the regular season has us prepared to play our best tomorrow.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

Exactly. We were 4-0 in 2014 to end the year and were probably the hottest team in the league. We were as on fire as you could be. And all it got us was a wild card win. You are who you are at this point. An extra game won't help or hurt you. It's all about tomorrow, not a game 3 weeks ago, that will determine if we advance.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
It would definitely would be a failure in my eyes. However, I think I could get over it fairly easy, with the knowledge that our future is very very bright. And I would be locked in on us loadin up on defense through FA and the draft.....

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
LOL at the folks saying that its all gravy and we are in position to repeat seasons like this. I heard Spags say the other day on Talkin Cowboys that this is only the 5th time the team has been the number one seed in the playoffs.

So this is season what, 56?

So in 56 seasons we have been the number one seed just 5 times, so that averages out to be once every 11 years or so. So basically its a once a decade type of thing for this team to be the number one seed, so the next time we are the number one seed it might be season 2027?

Bottom line................you cant squander seasons like this, they don't come around very often and even if we do make the playoffs over the next couple of seasons, the odds are that we are going to be playing on the road if we make a deep playoff run.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If we play well and get beat by a better team tomorrow, I'll be disappointed, but no way I'll view the season as a failure. If we play poorly, the OL is off, turn the ball over, defense doesn't show up, then yes...failure.

Personally, I think this team will play their butts off and leave it all on the field tomorrow. Whether or not that's enough remains to be seen. Foolish to call it a failure, in my opinion.