If we resign Cooper for 16 million per

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think you need a better QB to put up those type of numbers in Dallas. I expect around 70/ 80 catches 8 to 900 yards and 6/7 TDs. and those numbers aren't worth it.
Dez put up 900 yards and 7 or 8 TD's his last year with Dak. A better receiver like Cooper it could be done. But the Oline isn't up to par and its just not that type of offensive scheme at moment.

kumizi

Reaction score
If he's one of the top 6-8 WRs in yardage for the duration of that contract, then yes.

I'm gonna guess he's somewhere around 20-25th.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
That would make him a near top 5 receiver with those numbers. So yeah. In order to make the case that a #1 was justified for AC he needs to put up top 10 WR numbers.

waving monkey

Reaction score
NO. There is no way you can justify giving up a first round pick for a guy you are going to have to turn around and pay 16 million a year. Could have just gone out and done that in FA.

Would you have given up a first round pick next year in FA just to have the ability to sign a receiver like Cooper for 16 million? Not a chance.

Dallas got fleeced, end of story. It was another trade done out of desperation and stupidity.
Philly was givng a 2nd and I read on another page another offered a 1st. I have no idea if thats true.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Philly was givng a 2nd and I read on another page another offered a 1st. I have no idea if thats true.

A 2nd I have no problems with. A first? No way. And it doesn't make it any more palatable that another team was going to overpay as well.

waving monkey

Reaction score
A 2nd I have no problems with. A first? No way. And it doesn't make it any more palatable that another team was going to overpay as well.
Thats the consensuses I have gather. So the vitriol is the value between one and two.
It's not the player.
IMO the juice Jerry paid jolts us into the play offs and we can make a better assessment of Dak and company.
I can live with it.

stiletto

Reaction score
NO. There is no way you can justify giving up a first round pick for a guy you are going to have to turn around and pay 16 million a year. Could have just gone out and done that in FA.

Would you have given up a first round pick next year in FA just to have the ability to sign a receiver like Cooper for 16 million? Not a chance.

Dallas got fleeced, end of story. It was another trade done out of desperation and stupidity.

I think you are wrong this time, my man. 3rd time is a charm with these WR trades. Cooper is only 24. Had 2 pro bowl years first two years. Battled through an injury 3rd year, this year already a couple 100+ yard games (far more than our receivers in any one game already) and had to deal with the Gruden purge...Let's face it, Oakland is a mess way worse than the Cowboys....and No way this front office drafts anyone better than him with the first round pick in 2019 because they go with another WR or Safety (wasted pick). They got Cooper for 25 games for about $14 million and probably resign him for Dez money if he does well. We basically got Calvin Ridley (same age) for a little more money. We'll see how it goes. I just don't think this will be Joey Galloway or Roy Williams all over....we'll see I guess.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Thats the consensuses I have gather. So the vitriol is the value between one and two.
It's not the player.
IMO the juice Jerry paid jolts us into the play offs and we can make a better assessment of Dak and company.
I can live with it.

Not the way the Oline is playing. Maybe over a two year period we can if Frederick comes back. If his career is done you can kiss all of it goodbye.

I actually like the receivers going forward if we have Cooper, Gallop, Beasley, Austin. That is very good. But you need to add a top 10 TE to that and we should be ready to go. But again, not until they fix the Oline.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think you are wrong this time, my man. 3rd time is a charm with these WR trades. Cooper is only 24. Had 2 pro bowl years first two years. Battled through an injury 3rd year, this year already a couple 100+ yard games (far more than our receivers in any one game already) and had to deal with the Gruden purge...No way this front office drafts anyone better than him with the first round pick in 2019 because they go with another WR or Safety (wasted pick). They got Cooper for 25 games for about $14 million and probably resign him for Dez money if he does well. We basically got Calvin Ridley (same age) for a little more money. We'll see how it goes. I just don't think this will be Joey Galloway or Roy Williams all over....we'll see I guess.

Its not the player its the money. This year is a waste because the Oline sucks and its going to take too long to develop chemistry. And what do you mean by a little more money? Ridley is getting a few million a year for 4 years and Cooper is getting 13 million next year and probably 17 million a year after that. The ONLY positive thing here is the certainty that you are getting a A type receiver as opposed to the draft risk.

stiletto

Reaction score
Its not the player its the money. This year is a waste because the Oline sucks and its going to take too long to develop chemistry. And what do you mean by a little more money? Ridley is getting a few million a year for 4 years and Cooper is getting 13 million next year and probably 17 million a year after that. The ONLY positive thing here is the certainty that you are getting a A type receiver as opposed to the draft risk.

I don't really care about the money. The biggest thing to me is his age. If he was 28-30 I'd be on the same page but the guy is only 24. If he does what he has shown before, then I have no problem giving him Jerry's dollars. LOL I guarantee you had they not traded for Cooper they would've tried to get cute with the 1st round pick and draft some raggedy WR or Safety at 20. I'd rather go with Cooper who has already proven he can be good and is still really young. It's too early to call "Fleeced" overpaid...yeah.... but that is always the case in a trade.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't really care about the money. The biggest thing to me is his age. If he was 28-30 I'd be on the same page but the guy is only 24. If he does what he has shown before, then I have no problem giving him Jerry's dollars. LOL I guarantee you had they not traded for Cooper they would've tried to get cute with the 1st round pick and draft some raggedy WR or Safety at 20. I'd rather go with Cooper who has already proven he can be good and is still really young. It's too early to call "Fleeced" overpaid...yeah.... but that is always the case in a trade.

Ah so you don't care about the money? Well that explains your strange analysis of the deal.

And you also factor in that the Cowboys would screw up the pick anyway? So your being blind to 2/3 of the deal? Got it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That can't be answered yet because we don't know where the pick will be. What if it's top 5 and a QB is there who goes on to be a franchise player? Am I still supposed to believe the Cowboys made the right decision?

stiletto

Reaction score
Ah so you don't care about the money? Well that explains your strange analysis of the deal.

And you also factor in that the Cowboys would screw up the pick anyway? So your being blind to 2/3 of the deal? Got it.

Do you care about the money for a #1 stud WR who is 24 years old? AND Shame on you for not thinking the Cowboys wouldn't screw up the #1 pick knowing what you know when they pick for need. We've gone a long way back. you know they pick for need if they have to even at high picks. Their needs are WR and Safety. This WR draft will be horrid and a safety pick in the 1st round is always just a terrible idea unless there is the next coming of Ed Reed available (when does that happen?)

stiletto

Reaction score
That can't be answered yet because we don't know where the pick will be. What if it's top 5 and a QB is there who goes on to be a franchise player? Am I still supposed to believe the Cowboys made the right decision?

The league sucks bad enough, I can safely say our pick will NOT be in the top 5. Have you watched the Giants, 49ers, Cardinals, Raiders, Bills? As bad as this Oline is, we will still be in the lower 16...... 8-8, middle pick. Not top 5, come on..