If we resign Cooper for 16 million per

conner01

Reaction score
If he did that he’d be worth it and I hated the trade because of the cost
Those numbers would make it worth it
I would be shocked and excited if he can do those numbers with this staff and QB

conner01

Reaction score
Definitely. Having that level of production outside from your receiver will force opposing defense's into a 'pick your poison' conundrum when it comes to the Cowboys offense.

It would mean Dak was successful and it wouldn't allow teams to stack the box to stop Zeke and the run game.
No one would reap more benefit than Zeke and that would mean Dak is a starter quality QB which is a win for the team and fans

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
He's got to produce to prove he's worth the money first. If we negotiate prematurely and he doesn't, then we're on the hook for a lot of money and no good way to get out from under it. If we wait and proves he can be a Top 10 WR, the top WR money will be around the $20 million range by then.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I hope that the O.P. is talking about signing Amari Cooper for 16 million dollars per season, and not Cooper Rush .

Then again, with this front office, you just never know .

TwentyOne

Reaction score
And he averages 85 for 1,200 for the balance of that contract, would you say he was worth the pick?

Its not about his future production. And its not what he (may be) worth.

This move was just a NO-GO.

• You cant give up a first round pick for a WR when your QB is below average and cant throw the ball.
  • You cant give up a first round pick for a WR to test if your QB is a franchise one when you already have enough Data of his playing abilities. He showed what he can do and what he cant. If you didnt get it by now, then ask yourself if you are the right person for the job but dont make stupid trades that hurt the franchise even more.
  • You cant give up a first round pick for a WR when that guy has now 1 1/2 down seasons and is going to be in his option year. Thats too much risk.

Just a bad, bad move!

Last edited:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Yes if he becomes the most dominant force in the NFL at WR for the next 5 years then I will be satisfied.

Pants

Reaction score
If he averages 85 catches per year, that is 5 to 6 catches per game, likely on 10 or so targets...so, take those targets away from the other WRs, meaning their production dips a little....Dak isn't gonna throw MORE because he has mr dropsie on the roster....so if those 6 catches are first downs and stretch the field, then yes, Zeke has better productivity...

IMO, have a legiot WR is better than NOT having one, but I don't see it as the magic elixir that gets the team to the playoffs unless the change their game plan around to throw more (does anyone, ANYONE see that happening?)

and then pay him $16m, further stunting our ability to sign other players? good times

TheGoat73

Reaction score
And he averages 85 for 1,200 for the balance of that contract, would you say he was worth the pick?
He averages well under 1,000 per now. How is he gonna average 1,200 is an offense that features Zeke?

Fantasy (football) thinking.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
For sure. But understand that he’s auditioning for that contract, as evidenced by their refusal to talk extension right away. So he’ll effectively have to prove he’s worth the pick before he even gets that contract.
We traded a 1st to audition a player. Think about that.

Brax

Reaction score
Funny, but Dak turned a 1300 yard receiver into a 800 yard receiver now he has a 1100 yard receiver what would make you think Dak is going to be able to better his production based on his displayed ability with all the receivers the last few years. 1200 yards great just do not see this happening, I am assuming Dak is here to stay based on Jerry's mouthing's. The more realistic view is around 800 yards based on Dak's ability.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Funny, but Dak turned a 1300 yard receiver into a 800 yard receiver now he has a 1100 yard receiver what would make you think Dak is going to be able to better his production based on his displayed ability with all the receivers the last few years. 1200 yards great just do not see this happening, I am assuming Dak is here to stay based on Jerry's mouthing's. The more realistic view is around 800 yards based on Dak's ability.
Cooper is a 700yd WR. The last time he was a 1100yd WR was when Dak was 13-3 QB

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper is a 700yd WR. The last time he was a 1100yd WR was when Dak was 13-3 QB

Eh. I don't know. He's played 3 full seasons. 2 were over 1,000 yards and 1 was 700. He's on pace for even less this year so it's really hard to tell what he is other than a guy you do not trade a 1st round pick for especially when you don't have a QB.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What really sucks about this trade is this means less Deonte Thompson.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
NO. There is no way you can justify giving up a first round pick for a guy you are going to have to turn around and pay 16 million a year. Could have just gone out and done that in FA.

Would you have given up a first round pick next year in FA just to have the ability to sign a receiver like Cooper for 16 million? Not a chance.

Dallas got fleeced, end of story. It was another trade done out of desperation and stupidity.
Yea, because there are always 1,000-yard WRs who are 24 available as free agents.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Eh. I don't know. He's played 3 full seasons. 2 were over 1,000 yards and 1 was 700. He's on pace for even less this year so it's really hard to tell what he is other than a guy you do not trade a 1st round pick for especially when you don't have a QB.

Yeah that's kinda the point. People acting like he's been playing like Deandre Hopkins, when he's been producing more like TWill. We spent a 1st round pick for an inconsistent WR with drop issues to pair with an inaccurate QB.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah that's kinda the point. People acting like he's been playing like Deandre Hopkins, when he's been producing more like TWill. We spent a 1st round pick for an inconsistent WR with drop issues to pair with an inaccurate QB.

I must have missed Terrance Williams' Pro Bowl seasons.

You're ignoring the good years. Which is writing off more than half of his career thus far.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
He's got to produce to prove he's worth the money first. If we negotiate prematurely and he doesn't, then we're on the hook for a lot of money and no good way to get out from under it. If we wait and proves he can be a Top 10 WR, the top WR money will be around the $20 million range by then.

If you believed enough in the guy to drop a #1 while sacrificing 3 and 1/2 years of control and entry level salary, you should have taken the opportunity to buy low and renegotiate an extension at a low point in his career.

This is a strange hedge where, if the guy ends up being all you wanted him to be, you now have to pay through the nose, in addition to having coughed up the first.

I have a theory about why they might have done this. But it’s just as possible it was just muddle-headed thinking.