If we resign Cooper for 16 million per

mattjames2010

Reaction score
My issue with Cooper is the issue I have with most WRs outside of a select few - they simply don't lead you to anything. I've seen some film breakdown the past few days, people dogging Carr for not going deep - well, isn't this the same issue with Dak? Missing the deep man?

I don't think things are going to get a whole lot better for Cooper. He's not a game changing WR - he is a good and good CAN be a #1 WR, but he needs a competent QB which we don't have.

But this trade means little to me if we find a way to get into the first round again. We've seen teams these past few years give away their first and get back into the first round anyways - we'll see how it plays out.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We wanted to give Sammy Watkins 16m per..... huge mistake

ACooper should get a 5/60m offer if he fits here

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The league sucks bad enough, I can safely say our pick will NOT be in the top 5. Have you watched the Giants, 49ers, Cardinals, Raiders, Bills? As bad as this Oline is, we will still be in the lower 16...... 8-8, middle pick. Not top 5, come on..
Exactly.......We are much more likely fighting for a playoff spot at 9-7

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
$16 million is around 9 percent of the total salary CAP.

If he is any where near those numbers it is well worth it.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
LOL yeah- but it won't happen.

Better I think to use high draft picks and salary cap dollars on a top-level QB and an elite defense.

And which top level QBs are teams willing to get rid of? None. Unless they have their replacement ready to go like the Colts did with Manning. Unless you think guys like Cousins or Alex Smith are top level? I don't. Especially not Alex Smith.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And he averages 85 for 1,200 for the balance of that contract, would you say he was worth the pick?

We would have paid our 1st *and* free agency pricing to get Cooper. I don't see a way for that to be a good deal.

And keep in mind, Cooper can totally shake down Jerry on his contract because Jerry won't want to look like a fool at having given up a 1st for a year and a half rental.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
And which top level QBs are teams willing to get rid of? None. Unless they have their replacement ready to go like the Colts did with Manning. Unless you think guys like Cousins or Alex Smith are top level? I don't. Especially not Alex Smith.

I wasn't suggesting that a team would give the Cowboys a top-level QB in exchange for the first round pick we gave up for Cooper. My comment was with regard to resource allocation. Every team has limited draft picks and salary cap dollars. Strategic decisions have to be made as to how to allocate those limited resources. The Cowboys have mis-allocated those resources. I am in the camp that Dak will never lead the team to the promised land. Hope I'm proven wrong on that. Cooper is not the missing piece. He is a good player, and the Cowboys are instantly better- but the cost is not only measured in draft capital, but also salary cap dollars. And the cost is too high, especially given the current composition of the team.

When the draft rolls around, will fans be happy we have Cooper, or will they wish we had the first round pick?

Rockdoc

Reaction score
can and/or did the cowboys talk with Cooper before the trade?

GoJacks

Reaction score
But what if he won't re-sign with the Cowboys? Now that would be a kick in the nuts.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He better have a QB doing better than 200 ypg. That is not a passing offense and not in need of a 16M WR.

It's more of a factor of the pay scale for WR's. If that's the going rate for that kind of production then yes, he's worth it. The other factor is the distribution of the cap to other players and does the cap keep increasing each year or level off.

TheHerd

Reaction score
NO. There is no way you can justify giving up a first round pick for a guy you are going to have to turn around and pay 16 million a year. Could have just gone out and done that in FA.

Would you have given up a first round pick next year in FA just to have the ability to sign a receiver like Cooper for 16 million? Not a chance.

Dallas got fleeced, end of story. It was another trade done out of desperation and stupidity.
This is one point and why I have this deal, no matter how Cooper performs. We could spend the cap dollars in free agency to get top talent and not water draft picks, but this FO decided to not go after tier 1 players. Why change now?

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
What kind of comp pick would he bring if the money doesn't work out and he goes to another team as a FA?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
And he averages 85 for 1,200 for the balance of that contract, would you say he was worth the pick?

Yes

Added bonus, it would probably force us to draft a legitimate quarterback and play him on his rookie contract, because we wouldn't be able to afford to pay both Cooper and Dak

GenoT

Reaction score
If we re-sign AC for $16mil, then he musta been worth it.

Meanwhile, in the here and now, he’s not gonna fix an inconsistent QB and a HC/OC combo who are just as inconsistent when game-planning/play-calling for said QB.

Over Garrett’s HC career, he’s averaging @9-7 per season, with a laughable playoff record.

This sort of mediocrity with one team isn’t easy...unless one is blessed with the ultimate enabler.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Definitely. Having that level of production outside from your receiver will force opposing defense's into a 'pick your poison' conundrum when it comes to the Cowboys offense.

It would mean Dak was successful and it wouldn't allow teams to stack the box to stop Zeke and the run game.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
That can't be answered yet because we don't know where the pick will be. What if it's top 5 and a QB is there who goes on to be a franchise player? Am I still supposed to believe the Cowboys made the right decision?
If it's a top 5 pick I'm going to be sick.