If we win it could drop us to 10th pick

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Recent draft history shows you're just as likely to get a stud at 10-13 than at 4-6. Just need to make sure you hit on your player. So I'm not gonna sweat it either way.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Recent draft history shows you're just as likely to get a stud at 10-13 than at 4-6. Just need to make sure you hit on your player. So I'm not gonna sweat it either way.

If we lose 1 of the last 2, we get a top 10 pick, at worse 11th, but I think there are a few 5 win teams that play each other, so probably 10th at worse.
We can get a very good player or have some good trade value to move up or down.
I would rather move down a few slots and get extra picks, than to move up and lose more picks. Depending on what players are there. Or who they would move up for.

I agree, not going to sweat it a bit.

dallasdave

Reaction score
If we lose 1 of the last 2, we get a top 10 pick, at worse 11th, but I think there are a few 5 win teams that play each other, so probably 10th at worse.
I would rather move down a few slots and get extra picks, than to move up and lose more picks. Depending on what players are there. Or who they would move up for.

I'm not going to sweat it, but I am going to wish upon a STAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I'm not worried, the Bills aren't good but they're better than their record indicates, especially at home.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Agreed. The closer we are to #1, the more options we have on paper. But history shows when it's all said and done, the same quality player will be there at 10-13 as 4-6 in most cases.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread but it seems more better over here.

I think the NFL should have a Draft Lottery. A team should not be outright rewarded for losing.

I would take all the 20 non-playoff teams and have a random draw. The most spots a team could move up or down would be 10....for example if DAL had the 13 number spot and was the first team drawn they would move up to number 3. Anyone in the Top 10 would obviously move up to the top spot.

The picks could be weighted to give a better chance to the worse teams but not too heavily.

Drawing could be halftime of the Pro Bowl.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread but it seems more better over here.

I think the NFL should have a Draft Lottery. A team should not be outright rewarded for losing.

I would take all the 20 non-playoff teams and have a random draw. The most spots a team could move up or down would be 10....for example if DAL had the 13 number spot and was the first team drawn they would move up to number 3. Anyone in the Top 10 would obviously move up to the top spot.

The picks could be weighted to give a better chance to the worse teams but not too heavily.

Drawing could be halftime of the Pro Bowl.

I don't think that the concept would have much backing unless the owners themselves protested and thought teams were intentionally tanking.

I honestly think that owners that don't care don't have to have their teams intentionally tank because they aren't going the extra mile to field a winner and it naturally takes care of itself. Then they can sell hope to starved fans year after year. Look at how teams like Jacksonville, Detroit and Cleveland can go decades without a winner of any kind and still don't get upset. They make money regardless and due to the revenue sharing, they can go on indefinitely like that. Just change the coach, get another high pick and there is more hope. It is completely self sustaining and takes very little work.

Plus the fungible state of GMs and coaches and the subsequent recycling that occurs over and over again in the Good Ol' Boys network makes for even more of a comfort level for mediocrity. Most of them know they can just play musical chairs and nobody cares if they lose their jobs.

I think they like it just the way it is.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't think that the concept would have much backing unless the owners themselves protested and thought teams were intentionally tanking.

I honestly think that owners that don't care don't have to have their teams intentionally tank because they aren't going the extra mile to field a winner and it naturally takes care of itself. Then they can sell hope to starved fans year after year. Look at how teams like Jacksonville, Detroit and Cleveland can go decades without a winner of any kind and still don't get upset. They make money regardless and due to the revenue sharing, they can go on indefinitely like that. Just change the coach, get another high pick and there is more hope. It is completely self sustaining and takes very little work.

Plus the fungible state of GMs and coaches and the subsequent recycling that occurs over and over again in the Good Ol' Boys network makes for even more of a comfort level for mediocrity. Most of them know they can just play musical chairs and nobody cares if they lose their jobs.

I think they like it just the way it is.

But think how more interest the ProBowl will garner if it hosts the Draft Lottery

Teams are having a hard enough time selling preseason games, now you want them to get full price for teams tanking. Let alone how unfair it is to other teams trying to make the playoffs,

Rewarding the worst teams every year clearly hasn't worked either.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
But think how more interest the ProBowl will garner if it hosts the Draft Lottery

Teams are having a hard enough time selling preseason games, now you want them to get full price for teams tanking. Let alone how unfair it is to other teams trying to make the playoffs,

Rewarding the worst teams every year clearly hasn't worked either.

The NFL is fond of its own rigging of the game and is not interested in that kind of change. Otherwise they would be expanding rosters and pushing back the trade deadline.

landroverking

Reaction score
Remember draft money is slotted.
Pick 10-15 and save and still get high quality. Happens ever year, someone falls out of the top ten that's really good to great. So let's just win baby.

bodi

Reaction score
last year teams with

5 wins Chicago picked 7 th
6 wins Atlanta picked 8 th
6 wins Giants picked 9 th
6 win Rams the picked 10

The Natural

Reaction score
We get a deflated Buffalo team, and a Washington team that may very well be playing starters for one half next week. Get ready for the worst case scenario

Hell, we might just finish up 2nd place in the division if they don't get this tank right.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
We get a deflated Buffalo team, and a Washington team that may very well be playing starters for one half next week. Get ready for the worst case scenario

Hopefully our backups are worse than the Buffalo backups and the Skins prescribe to keeping momentum going into the playoffs by playing hard to win

Doomsay

Reaction score
The Bills kind of underperformed, I don't think a recently fired Rex is contemplating tanking, he's still trying to reestablish (or establish) his credibility and create a winning mentality in Buffalo. Washington's clinching last night was unfortunate for our draft prospects going forward, but we can only focus on stacking-up one loss at a time. It is a process, after all.