CZ POLL If you could change only one, would you change Quarterback, Coach or Ownership?

Which of the three options would you change if you could only make one come true?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
We could always change the owner and end up with someone like Tepper in Carolina

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Agree that the GM isnt capable, but with the change Dak will still be Dak. Definitely change owner and GM, but the restraints on the CAP are such that their hands would be tied.......unless the new Owner's GM can negotiate a better contract with France (and for that to happen we cant accept a NTC).
I don't buy into this cap stuff. cap can be manipulated. money pushed down the line. at some point you have to pay the piper and take the dead cap hit.

the Gm is definitely the issue. we can give him Mahomes and he still wouldn't be able to build a winning team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't buy into this cap stuff. cap can be manipulated. money pushed down the line. at some point you have to pay the piper and take the dead cap hit.

the Gm is definitely the issue. we can give him Mahomes and he still wouldn't be able to build a winning team.
No, the CAP's real, just look at the deferred payments left on Dak's existing deal. The CAP can be manipulated, but the issue always hits the bottom of the roster and team is only as good as its weakest elements. Paying top dollar for: QB, WR, Edge and CB is going to effect some part of the roster (just look at the Chiefs and their WR corp).
I agree JJ/SJ cant win a SB, but when JJ dies Stephen will be forced to employ a GM....he doesnt have Daddies media support.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We could always change the owner and end up with someone like Tepper in Carolina
Or end up with <fill in the blank>, who is a better owner. It could be one or the other, just as it has always been when one owner is replaced with another owner in any professional team sport.

For example, the new Washington Commanders owner, Joel Harris, may be worse than Daniel Snyder. Harris may be a better owner than Snyder. Only time will tell.

Apprehension should not be a reason to not give change a chance as far as sports team owners are concerned. Regardless, the question is totally hypothetical. Jones will remain the owner for the foreseeable future, which makes any uncertainty about the pros and cons of a make-believe change even more moot (if that is even possible, lol).

nobody

Reaction score
But anyone who refuses to make changes from what already isn't working because it could be worse lets fear guarantee the same failure over and over. How many years of evidence do we need?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Parsons is just such a generational talent that it would have to be a massive massive haul to trade him.
Or a crazy risk to build another foundation around a team, and not just one player. Is he the one to move forward with and build your future? Do you have the coaching and the leadership in the lockerroom to take advantage of his ability?

If not, then maybe finding future value may be the right answer. This formula could be appied to any player. I don't think JJ does this because he is too late in life to take risks. His health is his biggest risk, and he is going to roll the Cowboys dice to his benefit while he is still alive.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I would be curious to understand why anyone would think Dak and McCarthy are more critical changes than the Jones family.

Does anyone dislike McCarthy so much that him going into a final lame duck year is more of a concern than an entire change in ownership

As to Dak, the same holds true. I think those folks have such a huge blind spot when it comes to their own feelings about Dak that they can’t see the larger problem. It’s personal for them.

Swagger

Reaction score
It just has to be Prescott. 2-5 in the playoffs with some loaded teams is an embarrassing record for any QB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Or a crazy risk to build another foundation around a team, and not just one player. Is he the one to move forward with and build your future? Do you have the coaching and the leadership in the lockerroom to take advantage of his ability?

If not, then maybe finding future value may be the right answer. This formula could be appied to any player. I don't think JJ does this because he is too late in life to take risks. His health is his biggest risk, and he is going to roll the Cowboys dice to his benefit while he is still alive.
There is a reason teams absolutely unravel when we get a lead.

You can’t play Dallas and just sit in the pocket all day to throw the ball.

Tua even said they emphasized all week he had to get rid of the ball quicker against us.

You see it when we play teams how he is in QBs heads and throws off their timing just by being on the field.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Strangely, I think getting rid of Dak may be the only thing that gives next years regular season any real meaning for anyone to get excited about.

Right now there is nothing the Cowboys could do that would make anyone believe in them going into the Playoffs.
Players, any key players are going to scatter this off season. This team won’t be half the team it was even this year. The Cowboys will overpay Dak and not be able to keep many of the players that are coming due. Not to mention this team has become so toxic many players are seeking an out just based on that. They don’t want any more part of the sinking ship. Even if they come out hot they win their first ten games ( which isn’t gonna happen, but let’s say it does for arguments sake) Nobody’s gonna be excited, nobody is even gonna care. We’re all just gonna be sitting here, waiting for it to happen again. Dak is probably one of the all-time worst chokers in NFL history. He literally panics. Other players are now starting to say things about him that I’ve been saying all along. He hesitates, he second-guesses himself. All those games were he padded his statistics he had an average of 1.2 seconds longer to throw the ball than he didn’t the other games. he’s a single read quarterback, and when that single read isn’t there, he freaks out. He literally doesn’t know what to do. His brain shuts off and he freezes, and he loses control of hisself. The greats like Peyton, Manning and Tom Brady? They make five reads in the time it takes Dak Prescott to make one. He’s never gonna take this team anywhere.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I would be curious to understand why anyone would think Dak and McCarthy are more critical changes than the Jones family.

Does anyone dislike McCarthy so much that him going into a final lame duck year is more of a concern than an entire change in ownership

As to Dak, the same holds true. I think those folks have such a huge blind spot when it comes to their own feelings about Dak that they can’t see the larger problem. It’s personal for them.
As per usual, when it comes to defending Dak, it usually turns into a deflection of blame. Nobody's saying the problem doesnt start with Jerry, but, he seemed an ok owner when he put together a 12-5 roster and nobody thought that GB debacle would occur.

The answer to the OP is ....new Owner, new GM and new QB, because as it stands they work hand in glove. Jerry wants a perennial contender/ Dak's abilities gives him sufficient regular season wins in the WC era.

I get the anger that Jerry never goes 'All-In', however, an argument could be made that Jerry was right not trading for Henry at the deadline as it's likely we would still of been beaten by GB (and we'd of lost next years 1st Rd pick).

Jerry's not going to last, Stephen will need to employ a GM (due to the predicted media pressure), BUT a new GM wont overcome the repeated inability of the QB to step up and perform at the biggest moments.

Swanny

Reaction score
NOTE: VOTES CANNOT BE CHANGED AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CAST!

Dan Patrick interviewed Bob Sturm on his show this morning. The entire interview can be heard and seen below but the video starts at the 3:14 mark where Patrick poses the question. Some people will automatically say all three or even more but I respect Sturm for sticking to the question and giving an answer. I agree with him 100%.

Jerry as an owner has been top notch. Jerry as a GM has been the worst. With you wording it as owner instead of GM I must answer a different way.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Jerry as GM, and Stephen as VP of Player Personnel. Jerry you are a great owner, Stephen you are great with finances. Stay in those respective lanes.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
After that playoff performance it really doesn’t matter who gets replaced. The Dallas Cowboys got embarrassed, shame on all of them.

The better team at home in their prime got spanked. Trying to find excuses is meaningless.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’m fine with Jerry as an owner but I hate him as the GM. That’s what needs to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.