If You Could Choose 1 Player In Cowboys History, In Their Absolute Prime To Add To Today's Team

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
My first thought as well. If not Haley, someone else who could influence the game from the defensive line. Think that would have to be the most influential spot on current team other than QB. Since we've had one or two QB threads, figured might as well go somewhere else.

Haley would be a huge upgrade...its hard to say but think about that vs upgrading one of these DT's with any of our HOF DT's and keeping our edge rushers...

NotForLong

Reaction score
Here is a fact: it was easier to pass against Defenses of the 70s, 80s and 90s than it is today against much quicker Defenses of the past 20+ years. Why so? Players have physically become quicker and faster, thus the game has become quicker, faster and harder. It's gotten so much tougher that the NFL has had to change rules to protect QBs and WRs, but the game continues with its ever faster, quicker and harder self.
Said no one ever

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Larry Allen might be my favorite Cowboys ever, but I just don't see him having the same impact on this team as the 90s teams he was on because of how this team is constructed.

We don't have Emmitt running the ball or a coach that wants to be run dominant. I feel like they would just waste him somehow or another, so I picked Deion because we need the defense to be as great as humanely possible with our offense.

That was my exact thought when I saw your original post. Love the player (Allen) but some of his "dominance" would be wasted in today's era. He would certainly make a difference though. Deion is a good choice given the passing nature of the league.

NotForLong

Reaction score
  • There was no doubt whatsoever after the draft that the team's top focus is to improve the toughness and competitive drive.
  • I said weeks before the draft that Tyler Smith is the 1st player that has reminded me of Larry Allen since the GOAT himself.
    • Ridgeway has the attitude and size.
    • Sam Williams tenacity jumps off the screen in his game footage.
    • My primary thoughts after reviewing Tolbert's game footage is that he plays with an edge. The Mike Irvin in your face style.
    • Jake Ferguson looked like an 'all business' type of player in the mold of a Jason Witten mindset.
    • LB Clark was a leader on that defense and seemed to be everywhere. He didn't back down.
    • OT Waldo was like Tyler Smith lite. He pummeled those small college defenders and took some defenders to the ground in Senior Bowl 1-on-1s.
    • If you watch CB DaRon Bland's junior year highlight video, it was almost all plays of him knocking the snot out of somebody.
    • LB Harper was a hitting machine and seemed like a super high intensity player.
The decisions to dump La'el & Cooper also seemed to be at least partially about mental makeup.
- I love that Cooper was a smart, no non-sense player, but he just seemed to lack intensity.
- La'el didn't seem to be focused on football and never really developed great technique.
Great post

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Come on man! Dak was running 15 yards down field, when he got his ankle rolled and his calf injury was a non-contact injury.

This was a play Aikman’s career ended on. This would not be an illegal hit today. QBs get hit rolling out of the pocket all the time today. Aikman held onto the ball too long outside the pocket and paid the price. When Aikman reached his prime he had already suffered a number of injuries/concussions. He took a tremendous being his first couple of seasons.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Come on man, Aikman was running when his career ended with another concussion. Even under the current safety rules QBs still get injured and suffer concussions. A number of starting QBs missed games last season with injuries. Washington lost Ryan Fitzpatrick in the opener last season. Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray missed games with injuries. The Cowboys played against several backup QBs last season. As I mentioned Dak missed a game with an injury last season. If you don’t think QBs get injured today you’re not following along very closely.

No he wasn't. He was rolling out after being flushed by the pass rush.

No one has ever made any such statement that QBs don't still get hurt. But Wilson hit his finger on somebody's helmet and Murray turned an ankle. Dak strained a calf. You know which one of those was career threatening? NONE of them! And to my recollection none of them involved the QB being hit. Yes guys are going to get hurt .. it's a contact sport. But there is a huge difference between soft tissue injuries, turned ankles, and jammed hands/fingers as opposed to multiple concussions, separated shoulders, torn ACLs and the like. Most of the QBs who missed time missed a game or two or three and came back. Except Winston and Fitz. Winston tore his ACL getting horse collared and Fitz and his broken hip? .. well that's just what happens when 40 year old dudes have a bunch of defensive linemen fall on them.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Gotta go with Troy here. True leader that would demand accountability from the rest of the team. Could also go with Irvin for that reason but Troy would elevate the offense more.

Honorable mention: Larry Allen, D-Ware, Haley

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Until Kelly Rowland broke his heart and he turned to crap.

I think his downfall had at least as much to do with the league outlawing the way he tackled and hit people than the breakup with Ms. Rowland. But I'm sure that didn't help.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No he wasn't. He was rolling out after being flushed by the pass rush.

No one has ever made any such statement that QBs don't still get hurt. But Wilson hit his finger on somebody's helmet and Murray turned an ankle. Dak strained a calf. You know which one of those was career threatening? NONE of them! And to my recollection none of them involved the QB being hit. Yes guys are going to get hurt .. it's a contact sport. But there is a huge difference between soft tissue injuries, turned ankles, and jammed hands/fingers as opposed to multiple concussions, separated shoulders, torn ACLs and the like. Most of the QBs who missed time missed a game or two or three and came back. Except Winston and Fitz. Winston tore his ACL getting horse collared and Fitz and his broken hip? .. well that's just what happens when 40 year old dudes have a bunch of defensive linemen fall on them.

Rolling out or running what difference does it make? Rolling out is a routine part of the passing game. By the time Aikman reached his prime he had already undergone back surgery and had several concussions. These injuries ultimately led to his retirement years later. He himself said it. His first two seasons in the league led to him being concussion prone. I’m certainly not going to spend all day on this.

Brax

Reaction score
The QB play would have been better no doubt but in my opinion not being able to stop the run in the playoffs is the bigger issue on this team, I'm not positive any QB overcomes the penalties and OL issue compounded by giving up 5+ypc and 33 top...Better chance for sure diferent outcome Maybe.
I think RS TA are good for 7 more points with all those you point out. In fact I think both score more than 7 points in the first 3 quarters and help that D out.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Who you choosing?

I think with our current team I'm taking Deion and letting him take the other teams best WR out of the game while Diggs ball hawks around with the QB throwing to the leftovers.
For this team it needs Tom Landry/Jimmy Johnson/Bill Parcells at HC, Randy White, Bob Lilly at DT, Rayfield Wright at LT, Erik Williams at RT, Roy Williams/Cornell Green and Darren Woodson at SS/FS, Bob Breunig/Lee Roy Jordan at MLB, and Harvey Martin at RDE.

This team is more than one player away from challenging for a championship.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Our front office decision making......
:facepalm:

It's the same problem that they had with Garrett. He probably would've been a fine coach if not for the fact they rushed him through. I remember a magazine in 2007 when he was just starting as an OC under Wade, and they were penciling him in as a HC without waiting to see if, I dunno, he can actually coach? Our FO needs to take their time with coach's development. In fact, it's even more so the case considering that we have an unusual structure with our FO. So, letting a coach learn under a Wiley vet like Mike is a brilliant idea if they'd slow it down for said young coach.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It's the same problem that they had with Garrett. He probably would've been a fine coach if not for the fact they rushed him through. I remember a magazine in 2007 when he was just starting as an OC under Wade, and they were penciling him in as a HC without waiting to see if, I dunno, he can actually coach? Our FO needs to take their time with coach's development. In fact, it's even more so the case considering that we have an unusual structure with our FO. So, letting a coach learn under a Wiley vet like Mike is a brilliant idea if they'd slow it down for said young coach.
They are always looking for the next whiz kid headcoach.
Unfortunitely they are amatuers and don't have the ability to find one.
We are at a competitive disadvantage with our front office.