If You Could Choose 1 Player In Cowboys History, In Their Absolute Prime To Add To Today's Team

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Comparing stats across eras is a fool's errand. Rules have change as has the way the game is played. QBs have an infinitely easier time putting up numbers as compared to even 25 years ago. Not just because of their being protected from harm more but their receivers as well, and their linemen being able to legally hold.. all of that. Guys who could sling it in the 70's would have no trouble slinging it now. No sane person is going to stand on the table and declare that all these johnny come latelies with higher passer ratings, higher completion percentages and more yards and TDs than guys like Staubach, Marino, Montana et al are automatically better just because stats say they are. That's just silly.
Staubach (who is my all-time favorite Cowboy) had a career mid-50s % completions record. All one sees on YouTube are highlights completions, but you don't see the misthrows or incompletions. Don't tell me stats don't matter...no matter from whichever era you want to talk about. Only a fool who lives in LaLa land would ignore stats. This isn't Disneyland. Wake up.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Ha! Whatever, dude. I stated statistical facts. Guess you can't handle them.
Everyone getting a bit chippy with Training Camp upon us...lol
I hope this TC shares the same attitude, Im anticipating a highly motivated camp, there are some serious job openings, may be some surprise rooks and 2nd year early contributors.
There is always a degree of comp in every camp, but this roster has some serious youth esp in the backend, not just young with limited upside expectations, but young with already
graded high ceilings.
Finding a way to stash some of these players is going to be interesting, just one specific situation is Clark, have to retain this player so he will take priority stash.
Bell, is another that has tremendous upside but greener than the highest rainfall fields in Costa Rica.
There have been changes, with a bit more flexibility to the rules regarding FA and stashing, and I admit that I am not up to date with the latest changes, so I will refrain to some here that I know have a better understanding and all of our allowances, how Alacorn fits in still.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Staubach (who is my all-time favorite Cowboy) had a career mid-50s % completions record. All one sees on YouTube are highlights completions, but you don't see the misthrows or incompletions. Don't tell me stats don't matter...no matter from whichever era you want to talk about. Only a fool who lives in LaLa land would ignore stats. This isn't Disneyland. Wake up.
You realize of course that back then WRs and QBs were not protected like they are now right? If you let Michael Irvin have a year in his prime in the league today he would probably have 2500 yards and 23 touchdowns. Look at what he accomplished in the league when corners were allowed to hang off of your back before the ball was thrown.

Come on my man. You have to see this.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Your facts are based on bad interpretation of the data, delusional thinking and arriving at incorrect conclusions. You also suffer with a limited knowledge of how NFL football changed over the decades, if you really believe your view it's ok but only one and maybe 2 other homers would agree with you and that's the simple facts and truth, what's next Marino and Montana, were JAGs too.
Here is a fact: it was easier to pass against Defenses of the 70s, 80s and 90s than it is today against much quicker Defenses of the past 20+ years. Why so? Players have physically become quicker and faster, thus the game has become quicker, faster and harder. It's gotten so much tougher that the NFL has had to change rules to protect QBs and WRs, but the game continues with its ever faster, quicker and harder self.

RS12

Reaction score
Your facts are based on bad interpretation of the data, delusional thinking and arriving at incorrect conclusions. You also suffer with a limited knowledge of how NFL football changed over the decades, if you really believe your view it's ok but only one and maybe 2 other homers would agree with you and that's the simple facts and truth, what's next Marino and Montana, were JAGs too.
You are wasting your breath. Two hours locked in a room with Mel Blount and Turkey Jones, and he still wouldnt have a clue.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You realize of course that back then WRs and QBs were not protected like they are now right? If you let Michael Irvin have a year in his prime in the league today he would probably have 2500 yards and 23 touchdowns. Look at what he accomplished in the league when corners were allowed to hang off of your back before the ball was thrown.

I do realize and see this, but the game back then was definitely slower. Today's athletes are bigger, faster, quicker and at times more aggressive, hence why the NFL has had to make so many changes to protect QBs and WRs. Surely you can see this?

phildadon86

Reaction score
I do realize and see this, but the game back then was definitely slower. Today's athletes are bigger, faster, quicker and at times more aggressive, hence why the NFL has had to make so many changes to protect QBs and WRs. Surely you can see this?
The point of the argument is that Roger and Aikman would be afforded all of the great things todays athletes are. As in, training, nutrition, much different work outs, etc.

There are things that Roger had that you cant teach. Same with Aikman. Again. How do you think Irvin would do in todays game? lol. This is why I absolutely hate comparing eras. Because its all opinion. IF Roger were in his prime in todays game you would be looking at a perennial league MVP.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Larry Allen. Solidifies the offensive line. Improves the passing game. Improves the run game. Controls time of possession. Keeps our defense fresh and wears out the opponent's defense.
LA made a huge impact, what a great selection small school prospect from little Sonoma state, that just totally jacked the rest of the league up.
He made everyone better with that attitude, in a lot of ways our new rook reminds me of at least the stature, early glimpses hopefully.
I know some stones will be thrown for that early comparison, its a shallow comp, cause LA was the best.
IF we can even get 75 percent from TS than we hit the major jackpot on stud OL.
Stay tuned Cowboys Nation, we will start to get a glimpse soon if we are lucky.

phildadon86

Reaction score
God, if a prime healthy Romo had what Dak has had to work with in his entire career.
Oh stop it.

In 2007 Tony had an absolutely STACKED roster. This is such a tired argument.

Imagine if Tony didnt go to Cabo during the bye and spent it watching game film during the bye week....

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The point of the argument is that Roger and Aikman would be afforded all of the great things todays athletes are. As in, training, nutrition, much different work outs, etc.

There are things that Roger had that you cant teach. Same with Aikman. Again. How do you think Irvin would do in todays game? lol. This is why I absolutely hate comparing eras. Because its all opinion. IF Roger were in his prime in todays game you would be looking at a perennial league MVP.
Possibly so, but how can anyone explain Roger's career mid-50s % completions record during the 70s when play was slower than it is today?

Nexx

Reaction score
Oh stop it.

In 2007 Tony had an absolutely STACKED roster. This is such a tired argument.

Imagine if Tony didnt go to Cabo during the bye and spent it watching game film during the bye week....

one season vs entire career

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Possibly so, but how can anyone explain Roger's career mid-50s % completions record during the 70s when play was slower than it is today?

AC the CB's and LB's could absolutley maul recievers back then there were nothing but challenged catches all over the field...Literally going acroos the middle for a slant was endangering the WR. The Phrase "Will he go over the middle" means nothing today it meant alot back then.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Yes absolutely, that was back in the day when DBs and WRs were left out to battle it out, may the starong survive.
Irvin was a gladiator during that era.

Brax

Reaction score
Here is a fact: it was easier to pass against Defenses of the 70s, 80s and 90s than it is today against much quicker Defenses of the past 20+ years. Why so? Players have physically become quicker and faster, thus the game has become quicker, faster and harder. It's gotten so much tougher that the NFL has had to change rules to protect QBs and WRs, but the game continues with its ever faster, quicker and harder self.
Again you are wrong ask D Stingley how easy it was, and if it was so easy why was the run featured back then not passing, I guess you think the OC were stupid in those days and finally how did the Air Coryell work out. All these Passing records being broken because it's so hard to pass against todays D's. Rules have opened up the passing game and Many many of the 60's and 70, 80, 90s QBs would thrive today as for receivers, Allworth, Swan, Hayes to name a few would eat these D's alive.