If you could have one QB next year in the draft?

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
It's on ABC at 2:30

National? We'll probably get some ACC crap game on Saturday at 3:30 on ABC here in the DC area. Of course, I'll be watching ND at that time against Purdue.

kartr

Reaction score
Rack said:
I agree Quinn hasn't played as well as last year (so far).

But his protection has been absolutely horrible. As far as I'm concerned, when you factor in how bad the pass blocking has been, he's played almost as good as last year (hell, maybe even better). It's common sense that a QB won't play as good when he running for his life then when he gets to sit back - untouched - and pick a D apart.

He played phenomenal last night when you consider the rain, wind, and pass protection.

And about Troy Smith... I don't think he's too short to play QB in the NFL. He's 6'1" isn't he? Not a "prototype" but tall enough. And he's got a rocket arm. He's got a stronger arm then Quinn (not as good of a passer though).

I think Smith will be a first round pick.

Smith is taller than Drew Brees and Vick. I'd say that's tall enough.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
Smith is taller than Drew Brees and Vick. I'd say that's tall enough.
You avoided my response to you, and Smith hasn't been measured at the Combines yet and you are relying on his college player page. In other words you have no idea if he's taller than them or not. For instance in college Brees was listed at 6'2" but he isn't. I have heard Smith is under 6'0", which would put him below Brees and Vick.

kartr

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Actually, I believe if you look real closely you'll find that in each of the cases you just mentioned it was their teams who lost to the better team.

I know that might confuse you a bit since you have no grasp of QB at all, but at least I'm trying to help. Perhaps an example from History might really assist you. Okay, I got my avatar back, I'm feeling charitable.

In 1988 USC, led by Rodney Peete, beat cross town rival UCLA, led by Troy Aikman. By your absolutely ridiculous logic (ARL) that would make Peete the better QB option of the two. Heisman trophy voters agreed with your ARL and Peete was runner up in the voting to Barry Sanders. He also won the Johnny Unitas Award as the Nation's best college QB and was the PAC 10 player of the year in 1988. Psst, UCLA is also in the PAC 10 so he beat him out there too. Add to this 2 trips to the Rose Bowl his last 2 years of college ball.

By your ARL, he's clearly the better prospect. But not so fast...

Jimmy Johnson, the former Head Coach of the Cowboys who won 2 Super Bowls, disagreed with your ARL and those voters. He selected Aikman with the 1st overall pick as the best QB in college football.

Oh, in case you're wondering, Peete was selected by the Lions with the 2nd pick...of the 6th round, and the 9th QB taken in that Draft. He also spent a year in Dallas...as Aikman's backup QB.

In case you weren't aware, Aikman, the elite QB of the 2 we are discussing here, went on to win 3 Super Bowl Championships. That's the ultimate goal of any football player, and especialy a QB. Peete, that guy who by your ARL was the better of the 2 because he won that 1988 matchup, well, he never won a Super Bowl and he spent more of his career as a backup than he did as a starter.

Now, you're probably thinking I dislike Rodney Peete. Well, you'd be dead wrong yet again. You see, Rodney is from right here in the town where I live. He played at Sahuaro High School, which just happens to be where I got my start in coaching and I know his dad, Willie. He's a legend here. I haven't met him personally but I'd like to, and not just because his wife is gorgeous. He comes from good stock and I admire his people.

Oh, just for your gee whiz collection and to amplify my claim Troy Smith is too short. Peete was listed at 6'1" just like Smith but at the Combines it was clarified to 6'0", just like I suspect Smith will be. Or 5'11" which I've heard said on Mike & Mike a couple of times.

I now return you to your ARL. Try and spin this and all you'll do is throw up from being so dizzy.

Who mentioned Rodney Peete. You spent a lot time talking about a player whose name I never mentioned. Do you have ADD? Rodney Peete is nowhere near as talented as Troy Smith, no matter what his height turns out to be. VY is another name I mentioned. Both players play big in big games and Vince doesn't play small like his pocket predecessor at Texas, Chris Simms. I'm an excellent judge of QB play. You say you hate stats when they don't help your argument, but when they do, you act as if stats are every thing. I think you're either confused or just slow.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
kartr said:
Who mentioned Rodney Peete. You spent a lot time talking about a player whose name I never mentioned. Do you have ADD? Rodney Peete is nowhere near as talented as Troy Smith, no matter what his height turns out to be. VY is another name I mentioned. Both players play big in big games and Vince doesn't play small like his pocket predecessor at Texas, Chris Simms. I'm an excellent judge of QB play. You say you hate stats when they don't help your argument, but when they do, you act as if stats are every thing. I think you're either confused or just slow.

:lmao::lmao::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::lmao2::lmao2:

I'm an excellent driver:

http://i96.***BLOCKED***/albums/l186/shelbygray01/rainman.gif

kartr

Reaction score
Hostile said:
"Cake walk schedule?"

:laugh2:

You never cease to amaze me with your lack of grasp for anything.

So far this year, Notre Dame has played

Georgia Tech, 3-1 and a ranked team.
Penn State, 2-2 and a ranked team at the time they played, just lost to Ohio State yesterday 28-6. Their only other loss? Notre Dame 41-17.
Michigan, 4-0 and a ranked team.
Michigan State, 3-1, and just outside the top 25, with people wondering why they weren't in.

No team in the country started their season with a tougher schedule than Notre Dame. That is a 12-4 combined record right there. The fact they are 3-1 should mean something.

Again, I can't stand Notre Dame, so don't think I'm on their bandwagon. I'm not. I just can't stand lack of facts spoken as an imutable truth even more.

Translation, don't bring this weak crap in here and expect me to accept it. Know what you're talking about for a change.

So, you're saying that Notre Dame is only playing 4 teams this year. Penn State is no good this year and the other teams they've played are mediocre and the rest of their schedule is 'soft'. Their schedule compared to the SEC is a piece of cake.

kartr

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
not just no, but hell no...especially on Simms, who is truly God-awful

David

But he is a pocket passer, so he must be good.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
kartr said:
But he is a pocket passer, so he must be good.

What the....what does his passing style have to do with his ability to play? Where did you pull this out of? Don't tell me you are going to turn this thread into another pocket vs. scrambler thread again. Jeeze.

No - Simms isn't good because he has never been any good. It has nothing to do with his speed.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
The best pro QB who is draft eligible is Chad Henne. The player who'll be in the '07 draft and turn out to be the best pro is Tyler Palko.

I'm not sold on Quinn

Brohm will have to prove he can come back from injury.

Smith is a lousy QB, a lot of his yardage and TD totals come from having studs who catch dumps and make plays.

The small school darkhorse right now is Luke Getsy from Akron. Quality QB in a quality QB conference who doesn't get the hype but will be something at the next level. Aslo keep an eye on Drew Tate of Iowa.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
It's called a Historical analogy son. I apologize if it was way over your head. I was giving you some credit for brains. Raise your hand if that was too hard on you and I'll ease up on the whipping next time.

You responded ot my post about Troy Smith. I didn't say one single thing about Vince Young, so your mentioning him meant about as much to me as a bucket of spit.

That's called staying on topic. If you need help there I'd suggest Ritalin.

Stats? Where did I bring up stats? Get your eyes checked and your facts straight before you call someone slow.

Translation, don't bring that weak attempt at smack in here. Or go ahead, I don't mind constantly owning you and you apparently don't mind either or you'd wise up.

Oh, and the only excellence you possess about QB play is that you know which guy takes the snap from Center and is therefore the QB. Beyond that....you got nothing.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
So, you're saying that Notre Dame is only playing 4 teams this year. Penn State is no good this year and the other teams they've played are mediocre and the rest of their schedule is 'soft'. Their schedule compared to the SEC is a piece of cake.
Nice attempt at spin control goober. You said they've played a cake walk schedule and I slapped you down. Don't blame me when you make a stupid statement, blame yourself for not knowing what you're talking about. Your silly agendas will never stand up and we both know it.

kartr

Reaction score
Hostile said:
You avoided my response to you, and Smith hasn't been measured at the Combines yet and you are relying on his college player page. In other words you have no idea if he's taller than them or not. For instance in college Brees was listed at 6'2" but he isn't. I have heard Smith is under 6'0", which would put him below Brees and Vick.

His height isn't as important as his ability to manage a game and play well against tough competition. There's plenty of qb's who enough height and arm strength, but can't play worth a nickle. That diatribe regarding Peete was much ado about nothing.