If you're in a movie theater, put away your cell phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Maybe that's why you would do it.

I do it because my enjoyment and that of the majority of others is adversely affected

That is its own reward

I bet you're the kind of guy that would call the cops on a firefly for interrupting your view of the stars on a nice summer night.

;)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uh huh.. are you trying to convince me or yourself?

..and i wouldn't do it. As you should have already figured out by this point in the thread, im not bothered by this action like you are, stash.

I'm not trying to convince you of a thing. If by now you can't see that it bothers people, you're putting blinders on.

And if you only value what you alone think, you're ignorant and not worthy if the time spent.

But you decide for yourself.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a small price anymore.. the new theaters they are building are getting ridiculous. 10 bucks per ticket, more if its Big D or 3D. 5 bucks each for a small drink. 7 bucks for a medium popcorn. Almost more expensive than going to a ballgame, lol.

All the more reason to respect others who paid to see a movie and not a cell phone light - at all.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I'm not trying to convince you of a thing. If by now you can't see that it bothers people, you're putting blinders on.

And if you only value what you alone think, you're ignorant and not worthy if the time spent.

But you decide for yourself.

Alot of things bother SOME people.. im not going to waste time worrying about every little injustice people perceive to have been done against them though, because most.. like this.. are silly and insignificant, to anyone not actively looking for problems in their life.

If you can seriously sit there and tell me that when you go to a movie with your significant other, and your sitting there all cozied up watching a movie you've been looking forward to on this gigantic 600 inch screen and enjoying all the great sights and sounds, and you happen to notice (not sure how, when you're so intently focused on this great movie you're watching) a little light go on somewhere around you for a few seconds, and then disappear right away.. you're seriously going to be that shocked and distracted and offended that you're going to waste your valuable money to go converse with an usher about having that person removed.. i just feel sorry for you, honestly.

I have to believe to a normal person, the reaction would be more like, *wow, such a great movie, love the plot lines, and the imagery here, and.. oh, hey small light, oh, its gone.. wow this movie is fantastic."

If not, then maybe im just a much more mellowed out person than i thought, lol. Either that or there are alot of overly sensitive people in the world, today.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
All the more reason to respect others who paid to see a movie and not a cell phone light - at all.

..and i certainly do everything possible to respect all my fellow moviegoers when im in the theater. Im there to watch the movie and cringe over how much i just spent on it.. and the last thing i would want is to distract others by doing something obnoxious like talking constantly, texting, or making phone calls. No doubt.. we agree with this.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alot of things bother SOME people.. im not going to waste time worrying about every little injustice people perceive to have been done against them though, because most.. like this.. are silly and insignificant, to anyone not actively looking for problems in their life.

If you can seriously sit there and tell me that when you go to a movie with your significant other, and your sitting there all cozied up watching a movie you've been looking forward to on this gigantic 600 inch screen and enjoying all the great sights and sounds, and you happen to notice (not sure how, when you're so intently focused on this great movie you're watching) a little light go on somewhere around you for a few seconds, and then disappear right away.. you're seriously going to be that shocked and distracted and offended that you're going to waste your valuable money to go converse with an usher about having that person removed.. i just feel sorry for you, honestly.

I have to believe to a normal person, the reaction would be more like, *wow, such a great movie, love the plot lines, and the imagery here, and.. oh, hey small light, oh, its gone.. wow this movie is fantastic."

If not, then maybe im just a much more mellowed out person than i thought, lol. Either that or there are alot of overly sensitive people in the world, today.

Just ask yourself why the rules were put in place at all.

Then you will have your answer.

And see, you don't get to dictate what does of doesn't of what should and should not bother others.

Like everyone else, you get one vote.

When there are enough votes in a certain direction, rules and laws get made.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
..and i certainly do everything possible to respect all my fellow moviegoers when im in the theater. Im there to watch the movie and cringe over how much i just spent on it.. and the last thing i would want is to distract others by doing something obnoxious like talking constantly, texting, or making phone calls. No doubt.. we agree with this.

Very much so.

And that. consideration is alI I ask for.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score

And see, you don't get to dictate what does of doesn't of what should and should not bother others.

The difference being, im not trying to dictate what should or shouldn't bother other people.. you are.

As i said, the "rule" in my movie theater chain is, "Please silence your cellular device."

When that changes to something like, "Please turn off your cellular device and don't look at it, don't touch it, and don't think about it until the last credit has rolled.".. you will be the first person i notify.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The difference being, im not trying to dictate what should or shouldn't bother other people.. you are.

As i said, the "rule" in my movie theater chain is, "Please silence your cellular device."

When that changes to something like, "Please turn off your cellular device and don't look at it, don't touch it, and don't think about it until the last credit has rolled.".. you will be the first person i notify.

Ok.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Hey, stash, have you ever jaywalked? Because it's against the law and a driver could swerve to try and not hit you and kill themselves by wreaking into a tree. And, people do it all the time! Yeah, this is an extreme example, but...

Can you say from your heart, that you have never broken any rule in life? If you had to take your real sick child to the doctor late at night in an dire emergency would you run a red light if you knew it was safe to do so?

If you were walking down a sidewalk and saw a $20.00 would you immediately take it to the nearest Police station, or keep it?

And, what if you were sitting in a theater and a message came on your phone from someone that needed you for a dire emergency to ask you where the hidden key is to your house because it's on fire and a relative was in there, or any other scenario that YOU can think of that you wish you would have answered because someone needed you and only you at that particular crises?

How would you feel if you ignored your phone for something that you could have prevented by checking it, even for a second to make sure it was not your drunk friend calling, but someone that needed you right away?

You know what would be more disturbing to me is if I am sitting in the center seat of a row of seats, and some mother's phone vibrates and instead of checking it for a second or two, she gets up and makes about 10 other people have to move their feet and miss some of the scene to let her go to the lobby to see if it's an emergency. Then she comes back and makes the same 10 people have to move their feet to let her come back to her seat. And she does this 3 more times during the 21/2 - 3 hour show because she and her husband are there to try and relax because they are aware that their could be an emergency, and hopefully not.

What is more disturbing? Letting the woman check her phone for 2-3 seconds 4 times to see who it is or for her to keep getting up 4 times to go to the lobby to check her phone, thus disturbing not only the other 10 people in her row, but various other people behind her row?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, stash, have you ever jaywalked? Because it's against the law and a driver could swerve to try and not hit you and kill themselves by wreaking into a tree. And, people do it all the time! Yeah, this is an extreme example, but...

Can you say from your heart, that you have never broken any rule in life? If you had to take your real sick child to the doctor late at night in an dire emergency would you run a red light if you knew it was safe to do so?

If you were walking down a sidewalk and saw a $20.00 would you immediately take it to the nearest Police station, or keep it?

And, what if you were sitting in a theater and a message came on your phone from someone that needed you for a dire emergency to ask you where the hidden key is to your house because it's on fire and a relative was in there, or any other scenario that YOU can think of that you wish you would have answered because someone needed you and only you at that particular crises?

How would you feel if you ignored your phone for something that you could have prevented by checking it, even for a second to make sure it was not your drunk friend calling, but someone that needed you right away?

You know what would be more disturbing to me is if I am sitting in the center seat of a row of seats, and some mother's phone vibrates and instead of checking it for a second or two, she gets up and makes about 10 other people have to move their feet and miss some of the scene to let her go to the lobby to see if it's an emergency. Then she comes back and makes the same 10 people have to move their feet to let her come back to her seat. And she does this 3 more times during the 21/2 - 3 hour show because she and her husband are there to try and relax because they are aware that their could be an emergency, and hopefully not.

What is more disturbing? Letting the woman check her phone for 2-3 seconds 4 times to see who it is or for her to keep getting up 4 times to go to the lobby to check her phone, thus disturbing not only the other 10 people in her row, but various other people behind her row?

I'll take ridiculous hypotheticals for $400 Alex.

I'll ask you, if you need someone in a true emergency, do you send a single text message and then shrug your shoulders and say "oh well, I tried"?

Answer that question and we can continue this conversation.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I'll take ridiculous hypotheticals for $400 Alex.

I'll ask you, if you need someone in a true emergency, do you send a single text message and then shrug your shoulders and say "oh well, I tried"?

Answer that question and we can continue this conversation.

smh

No, but if I am sitting in a theater watching a movie and get a text that my son just got hurt badly in a car wreak and may not have long to live...I sure as hell would have like to know that instead of just watching the rest of the movie then come home to find out that he died and I did not come to see him.

Give it up, bro. We live in a world of technology, some of it is good, some of it is bad. If a tiny light comes on during "Debbie Does Dallas" bothers you and you miss something important...well, all I can say is that I hope it never happens to you.

joseephuss

Reaction score

I've been to different theaters. I have seen requests to both silence and darken cell phones. I have seen requests to not talk or text during the film. Checking for a text message is considered texting. Just because you aren't typing doesn't mean you aren't texting.

Cinemark has an app that once you turn on will darken your phone. If you leave the app on the entire movie, then you will earn discounts from Cinemark.

I can't figure out why you think someone who is bothered by someone with their phone on in the movies is worse than the person who actually has their phone on in the movies.

I also can't figure out what all these people who are worried about emergencies happening during a movie do for a living. It must be the most important jobs in the world that they have to check their phones even for a second during a 2 hour time period. If life is so treacherous that you can't watch a movie without being terrified that an emergency may be happening perhaps you should find another line of work or stop hanging out with Aaron Hernandez.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, the bottom line is.... if a movie theatre has signs, as many do, to turn off your phones during the movie, and you don't - well, you're simply in the wrong to have it on. There are reasons for the rules. Many of these reasons have been posted right in this very thread.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I've been to different theaters. I have seen requests to both silence and darken cell phones. I have seen requests to not talk or text during the film. Checking for a text message is considered texting.

So have you ever talked during a film? If so, than you're just as bad as the person who had to check a text during the movie, arn't you?

As for emergencies.. well, if they happened on a schedule they'd be alot easier to avoid, wouldn't they?

joseephuss

Reaction score
So have you ever talked during a film? If so, than you're just as bad as the person who had to check a text during the movie, arn't you?

As for emergencies.. well, if they happened on a schedule they'd be alot easier to avoid, wouldn't they?

I don't talk during movies. I go by myself mostly and when I do go with friends I let them know I won't be taking during a film.

Yes, emergencies would be easier to avoid if they could be scheduled. To think that matters in this instance is ridiculous on your part. It has no bearing. Again, if someone is so paranoid of emergencies happening, they should avoid going to places that puts them out of touch with others. How do they cope when they have to board a plane when they are forced to shut off their phone? Do they go mad as they stare at their blank phone yearning for the time they can turn it back on?

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I don't talk during movies. I go by myself mostly and when I do go with friends I let them know I won't be taking during a film.

Yes, emergencies would be easier to avoid if they could be scheduled. To think that matters in this instance is ridiculous on your part. It has no bearing. Again, if someone is so paranoid of emergencies happening, they should avoid going to places that puts them out of touch with others. How do they cope when they have to board a plane when they are forced to shut off their phone? Do they go mad as they stare at their blank phone yearning for the time they can turn it back on?

Its not ridiculous at all. No one has to be paranoid to be aware. They aren't forced to shut off their phones at a movie, so why not leave it on silent "just in case" anything were to happen? It'd be ridiculous not to. Better to be prepared just in case, rather than shut it down completely when there's no need to.

..and if you're telling me you've never talked during a movie, not one time.. than you're either a lier or you're extraordinary, because i'd wager if it was put to a vote that almost every single person who goes to movies has talked at some point during one of the movies they've been to.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

lmao

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
No offense, but the comments from some of you are so ridiculous. Watching a fantastic movie blaring out a giant bright picture with spine rattling sound and..

OH MY GOD A TINY LIGHT SHINED FOR A FEW SECONDS SOMEWHERE BEHIND ME! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Some of you here belong in the movie, with how dramatic you get over such a little thing. Good grief.. i'll leave the old timers at it, but i do feel bad that you guys let your movie experience be completely ruined by such a petty "problem".

Again, i don't know what it is, maybe i can focus better than some of you, maybe im not as overly sensitive, maybe i don't let myself get all riled up over every little presumed injustice against me as much as some.. but if im there really focused on the movie in front of me, something as little as this is barely even noticable to me, unless its right next to me.. and even then, if its only for a few seconds.. is that really something i should get my underpants all in a knot over to the point where i let it effect my movie experience? Heck no. Its a firefly on a summer night, fellas.

You guys who say you'd go get an usher over such a tiny thing? Well go ahead.. you're only ruining your own experience and flushing your own 40 bucks down the drain when you miss a good portion of the movie because you're so uptight. Yes, i said it. There are things that i would get annoyed about if they continued on long enough during a movie. Talking obnoxiously is the big one, talking on the phone, giggling with your friends, texting. Someone checking a text they just got to make sure there's no emergency and then shutting the screen back off as fast as possible to avoid bothering people? Nah..

What about ushers who come through the theater with flashlights to check on patrons? Do we all get enraged over that too? Or those emergency lights by the aisles and walkways that stay on during the movie? Do ya'll throw a fizzy over those, as well?

I seriously wonder when laying out on a nice summer night looking up at the stars, if some of you wouldn't see a firefly light up in your field of vision if you wouldn't become completely enraged and go get a bat and swing away until you killed a couple for interrupting your clear view of the stars. Or if a neighbor were to come out and turned one of their outside or porch lights on if you wouldn't take a chainsaw to their fence for their light pollution ruining your nighttime viewing session. Its life, fellas.. try to enjoy it every once in awhile.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Well, that's because emergency's happen at a moments notice.

I have my smart phone on vibrate with different vibrations for different contacts. If it's my wife it just vibrates and vibrates, so I don't answer it. (i don't want her to know where i am, if she calls me then I have to answer).

If I get a little vibrate about 2 times a second, then I know it's this lady of the night that just keep texting me. She just won't stop...she want's me to bring home Milk.

When I feel 5 little vibrates...that means I need to pee. Then I have to really annoy everyone.

If it's an Emergency...it's going to ring! I will shut it off as fast as I can. Annoy anyone getting out of my seat and go check my call.

I cannot reveal what 9 vibrations do for me. That's why I have a smart phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.