I'm not sure many fans realize what most worthy even means

John813

Reaction score
Martin was the Cowboys 4th choice after Donald, Shazier and Barr went off the board in 2014.

They were set on taking Shazier till Pitt took him at 15th overall.

It's interesting how the draft process is. Martin was behind the 3 guys I mentioned for the Cowboys going into the draft.

In 2013, the rumor was Travis Frederick wasn't the guy they were originally targeting in a trade down.
Vikings front office strongly believed that Dallas wanted C. Patterson. Was it a ploy by Dallas? Maybe, but I dunno if they thought another team could jump them for Frederick in round 1.

http://www.startribune.com/inside-t...ises-with-the-nfl-draft/256852841/?c=y&page=1
(Vikings assistant GM)
“Cordarrelle was going to go to the Cowboys at No. 31,” Paton said. “We had pretty good intel after the fact. Derek Dooley was there as their new receivers coach, and he had been the head coach at Tennessee."

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
The only player We drafted for need the last two or three seasons was Vander esch. I new people wouldn't understand most worthy . I've had this conversation before

And you've probably had the same criticism thrown in your face everytime after the same conversation.

The fact that you believe LVE is our first draft of need after the last 5 years tells me....dont take convo any further.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Most Worthy - Sounds like a combination of RKG and best player at a particular position of need based on his Zack and T-Fred comparisons, however at the time we didn’t need a tackle when we drafted Zack, he was just pure BPA at the time. When we took T-Fred, we needed a center...
We took Freddy in the first round because we knew the Giants were going to take him in the second there were many other players we had higher on the board. We drafted him because he was definitely the most worthy at that point in time

MCMetal69

Reaction score
I believe you need to temper the "most worthy" player with an eye towards need......................Say there are 2 players ranked almost equally on your draft board and 1 of them is either a defensive tackle or a safety and the other is a wide receiver ; I personally am not taking the wide out but the defensive player..............................

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not exactly sure what the point of your thread is but carry on.
The point of my thread is simple. I don't believe in drafting for need or best player available. You draft a player of worthiness. Character camaraderie a football guy.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Patriots have been doing this for quite some time versatility

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I believe you need to temper the "most worthy" player with an eye towards need......................Say there are 2 players ranked almost equally on your draft board and 1 of them is either a defensive tackle or a safety and the other is a wide receiver ; I personally am not taking the wide out but the defensive player..............................
Absolutely. The player you need can absolutely be the most worthy available. It's a gut feeling that you have to understand it's more than just a word.

ShortRound

Reaction score
The point of my thread is simple. I don't believe in drafting for need or best player available. You draft a player of worthiness. Character camaraderie a football guy.

A Character guy over BPA? Sometimes being a good dude only takes you so far though.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And you've probably had the same criticism thrown in your face everytime after the same conversation.

The fact that you believe LVE is our first draft of need after the last 5 years tells me....dont take convo any further.
If you haven't noticed a philosophy in a drafting the last three seasons with William McClay I don't know how else to explain it to you. But people always seem to have a problem with a new Theory until they say oh that makes sense.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A Character guy over BPA? Sometimes being a good dude only takes you so far though.
I totally agree with that you need talent also. But it's just not as simple as best player available or need that's my point. And I think William is a drafting genius he seems to put it all together

John813

Reaction score
Doing more digging on T-Fred if any one cares:

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article209598129.html

"[My agent] said listen, 'You’re going to get picked between 20 and 40,'" Frederick said. "He said, 'Hey, if the Cowboys trade down from 18, there’s a good chance they’re coming after you.' When they did, he turned around and kind of winked at me and said keep your phone on you. That’s exactly how it worked out."

Looks like the Vikings may of had bunk info/I'll need to correct myself, lol.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

You don't have to approve or like my theory treat I'm not looking for kudos LMAO

ShortRound

Reaction score
I totally agree with that you need talent also. But it's just not as simple as best player available or need that's my point. And I think William is a drafting genius he seems to put it all together

I agree in part, but guys like Michael Irvin weren't exactly boys scouts, I think you have to temper with how good of a player they are.

That's an extreme example, but yes I don't want crazy underwear thieves who can't play on my team, lol. The uniform should be earned.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

So I clearly said the last two or three years. But you turned it into the last five. Tells me your integrity is almost zero so far

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree in part, but guys like Michael Irvin weren't exactly boys scouts, I think you have to temper with how good of a player they are.

That's an extreme example, but yes I don't want crazy underwear thieves who can't play on my team, lol. The uniform should be earned.
Michael Irvin was a long time ago. I'm talkin the last few seasons. I thought I made that clear. I read Michael Irvin's book. I love the park about the haircuts

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You replied twice to the same post in much needed defense. You are bothered. You wanted my approval
I know nothing about you you're an insignificant person on a website. I don't need or want your approval. But I don't mind discussing an opinion