I'm not sure many fans realize what most worthy even means

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I enjoy trying to figure out how people's minds work that's what I did in the military. That doesn't mean I care about you in any way shape or form. That doesn't mean some point in time I May care about you.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Now you've replied 3 times to the same post. You are imploding before the forum.
Maybe I just had too much coffee did you ever think of that. There's a reason why I had over a hundred thousand post on the last forum LMAO you think too highly of yourself on an insignificant website

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Now you've replied 3 times to the same post. You are imploding before the forum.
And you responded each time also so does that make you a hypocrite. I don't really think so. I just think you're interested

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Can't wait for the next step the draft go Cowboys

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Most worthy when you think about it most people get it. Mister cowboy. Bill Parcells once said most people don't get it what it means. Jason Witten Mister cowboy. Sean Lee mr. Cowboy. I wonder who's next seems Jaylon Smith could earn that title

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Martin was the Cowboys 4th choice after Donald, Shazier and Barr went off the board in 2014.

They were set on taking Shazier till Pitt took him at 15th overall.

It's interesting how the draft process is. Martin was behind the 3 guys I mentioned for the Cowboys going into the draft.

In 2013, the rumor was Travis Frederick wasn't the guy they were originally targeting in a trade down.
Vikings front office strongly believed that Dallas wanted C. Patterson. Was it a ploy by Dallas? Maybe, but I dunno if they thought another team could jump them for Frederick in round 1.

http://www.startribune.com/inside-t...ises-with-the-nfl-draft/256852841/?c=y&page=1
(Vikings assistant GM)
“Cordarrelle was going to go to the Cowboys at No. 31,” Paton said. “We had pretty good intel after the fact. Derek Dooley was there as their new receivers coach, and he had been the head coach at Tennessee."
The 2013 Draft Board was leaked and they had a higher grade on Patterson than Frederick.

Dodged a bullet there. Just like they did with Connor Cook. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good I guess.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not sure many fans realize what most worthy even means. I don't like drafting for need
I don't like drafting best available. I like drafting most Worthy. Freddy was most Worthy. That's why we took him in the first-round when many thought he was a second . Martin was most Worthy. I don't know who will be most worthy this season. When I said take Martin all summer . people slammed me everybody wanted defense.
I like that moniker!!! I think I'll steal it!!!

John813

Reaction score
The 2013 Draft Board was leaked and they had a higher grade on Patterson than Frederick.

Dodged a bullet there. Just like they did with Connor Cook. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good I guess.

Thank you.

Knew there was a better source than the Vikings GM for the cowboys ranking of Patterson over Frederick but couldn't find that leaked board.

As for the second part, definitely. They wanted Cook and Lynch(and giving up picks) that draft and sort of settled for Dak. Those two are already gone from their original team and now Jerry can't stop talking about Dak and longterm.

kskboys

Reaction score

Romo forced their hand. He only agreed to a badly needed restructure if DALL agreed on a 1st round OL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes I made up the term three seasons ago. And most people get it. Most Worthy is a real thing. Draft for need you get burned. Best available how many more wide receivers do we need if that was the case

I call it near-BPA.

Many call it BPA at a position of need.

Teams think of it in terms of tiers. Many teams divide round 1 into 4 tiers and round 2 into 2 tiers.

R1-T1
R1-T2
R1-T3
R1-T4
R2-T1
R2-T2
R3
R4

At pick #58 any player with an R1 designation should be the pick unless more than 1 player with an R1 designation is available; although that is highly unlikely.

If no R1 players then look at R2-T1 players. Pick based on need from this tier.

If no R2-T1 players then pick from R2-T2 players based on need.

Obviously if two Safeties rated R2-T1 are available, one will be ranked higher than the other within the tier.

The other option is to trade down if 1 higher tier player is available. Some other team(s) with a bigger need at that position will likely have that player rated as the BPA. That's more or less what happen the year they drafted Frederick. They had a clear BPA (DT) but traded down and picked Frederick after the trade down.

In 2009 they had pick #51 (no 1st round pick that year). LeSean McCoy was available and he was the only remaining player with a Round 1 grade on their draft board. They had Felix and Barber at RB and therefore traded down. Unfortunately their entire draft class ended up with far less value than McCoy AND both Felix/Barber faded within just a few years while McCoy was great for a long time.

BPA would have been the best move in 2009 regardless of need. Adding great players always works out. Thar player or other player at the position can always be traded. They could have traded McCoy for a 1sr round pick after his 2nd year in the NFL.

In recent years since the Cowboys have been drafting really well, they consider the available talent remaining in the draft when choosing between players on the same tier. Taco and Awuzie were on the same tier that year but they thought some CBs were likely to make it to their 2nd round pick but that all of the DEs they liked in that part of the draft would likely be gone.

They also consider position value. For example a TE has less position value than a DE because TEs get paid way less (see the Franchise Tag values).

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You made up the term "most worthy" and then express surprise that "most people" don't know what it means.
How many people realized what Mr Cowboy truly means. Somebody had to be first

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I call it near-BPA.

Many call it BPA at a position of need.

Teams think of it in terms of tiers. Many teams divide round 1 into 4 tiers and round 2 into 2 tiers.

R1-T1
R1-T2
R1-T3
R1-T4
R2-T1
R2-T2
R3
R4

At pick #58 any player with an R1 designation should be the pick unless more than 1 player with an R1 designation is available; although that is highly unlikely.

If no R1 players then look at R2-T1 players. Pick based on need from this tier.

If no R2-T1 players then pick from R2-T2 players based on need.

Obviously if two Safeties rated R2-T1 are available, one will be ranked higher than the other within the tier.

The other option is to trade down if 1 higher tier player is available. Some other team(s) with a bigger need at that position will likely have that player rated as the BPA. That's more or less what happen the year they drafted Frederick. They had a clear BPA (DT) but traded down and picked Frederick after the trade down.

In 2009 they had pick #51 (no 1st round pick that year). LeSean McCoy was available and he was the only remaining player with a Round 1 grade on their draft board. They had Felix and Barber at RB and therefore traded down. Unfortunately their entire draft class ended up with far less value than McCoy AND both Felix/Barber faded within just a few years while McCoy was great for a long time.

BPA would have been the best move in 2009 regardless of need. Adding great players always works out. Thar player or other player at the position can always be traded. They could have traded McCoy for a 1sr round pick after his 2nd year in the NFL.

In recent years since the Cowboys have been drafting really well, they consider the available talent remaining in the draft when choosing between players on the same tier. Taco and Awuzie were on the same tier that year but they thought some CBs were likely to make it to their 2nd round pick but that all of the DEs they liked in that part of the draft would likely be gone.

They also consider position value. For example a TE has less position value than a DE because TEs get paid way less (see the Franchise Tag values).
Everybody has their board. Everyone has their own draft philosophy. There's a reason why they give you a 10 minutes in the first round or is it 15 I don't recall. Don't get old LOL. The genius is the ability to deviate. Not everything is black and white

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point of my thread is simple. I don't believe in drafting for need or best player available. You draft a player of worthiness. Character camaraderie a football guy.

Those characteristics go into the players ranking on the draft board.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You are absolutely correct. And I understand it. Like I said I am an individual who likes Thinking Out of the Box. It has served me well in my lifetime. If I have learned anything it's that change is inevitable. Innovation is priceless

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So does a player get drafted because of his character Talent. or do you draft him because that's what you really need. I'm taking a player more worthy of that position I'm drafting in. Obviously a player could be first pick overall on the board but if he has a character issue . do you still draft him number one overall. I wouldn't

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There just aren't that many Bob lilies. Every once in awhile you need that Charles Haley. I get that also

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
And you responded each time also so does that make you a hypocrite. I don't really think so. I just think you're interested

There is a difference in responding to multiple post vs the same post over and over. I respond alot to various posters post, but not the way you do.

You claim to have over 100k post on another forum but you are presenting yourself like a ragging noob.

Your buttons are so easily pressed. And no, you still wont get my approval.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It's always BPA at position of need.

I see people all the time acting like you should always take the BPA. Maybe that is true but no team really does that.

They all take the best at position of need.
very true. Can you imagine a true BPA scenario where you come away from a draft with 6 to 8 of anything at the same position if it just fell that way.

CPanther95

Reaction score
You determine if a player is the best player available - the player you need to fill a position - or whether he was the most worthy - all the same exact way.

... with hindsight.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@Whirlwin I have no idea what you mean by 'most worthy.' So, maybe you can help us all out with an example or two.
1) Let's assume Dallas has the top pick in this year's draft. Who is your 'most worthy' pick? And explain.
2) Let's assume Dallas has the 27th pick in this year's draft. Who is you 'most worthy' pick? And explain