Inception

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
rkell87;3468487 said:
didn't read anything from the links but here is my question/theory....

when leo meets the chemist and they go in the basement and explain about the guys that cant dream anymore and want their dreams to be their reality, leo says show me what you got(or whatever) and goes into the dream then he wakes up freaked out and goes to the bathroom and spins his top but saito(i think) comes in and startles him and leo hits the top and picks it up.....

so really we never see the top fall then and everything from then on could be him still in a dream.

I can understand that, but to what end? Why would that be the moment the movie goes into, "But it was all just a dream." mode?

rkell87

Reaction score
TheCount;3468529 said:
I can understand that, but to what end? Why would that be the moment the movie goes into, "But it was all just a dream." mode?
the same reason they would do anything like that.....so they can make a sequel:laugh2:

seriously though it could be so the whole thing is just one big mind****, or any number of things.

idk its just something i noticed but i need to watch again to see if after that point he spins it and it falls indicating he did get back to reality

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3468527 said:
Towards the end of the movie, I looked up who directed this film on the iPhone IMDB app and afterwards, checked out all of Christopher Nolan's films and was pretty surprised by all the extremely good movies he has directed.
Yes, he's definitely one of the best directors of his generation.

mldardy

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3468527 said:
Towards the end of the movie, I looked up who directed this film on the iPhone IMDB app and afterwards, checked out all of Christopher Nolan's films and was pretty surprised by all the extremely good movies he has directed.
I have complete trust in Nolan right now, he just has IT. I have all of his films on DVD except his first film Following.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
mldardy;3468580 said:
I have complete trust in Nolan right now, he just has IT. I have all of his films on DVD except his first film Following.

Following is actually very good as well.

mldardy

Reaction score
TheCount;3468710 said:
Following is actually very good as well.
I haven't seen it yet but I know IFC is putting it on demand sometime soon. I have tried to find it online somewhere but haven't as of yet.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3462195 said:
Right. The van hitting the water should have woken them up in reality, but it didn't, unless I missed something and they weren't actually supposed to get woken up by that.

That's what I'm saying...the hospital explosion kicked them to Level 2 (hotel), and the elevator kicked them to Level 1 (van).

The van was supposed to kick them awake, but instead, they all got out and swam up ashore and just hung out - unless, like I said, the briefcase and sedative was set to wear off at the end of the flight and they woke up when the timer ran out like the other times earlier in the movie.

Either way, I still think they were back in reality at the end. I think if Cobb were to turn around and see that the top never topped, the decision would be clear: die to wake up.

But I agree with Hoof - it wasn't "limbo" per se. Cobb created that final stage based on memories, which you're never supposed to do.

The van only serves as a kick if they were just in that level of dream. Remember that they went into different levels. A dream within a dream. So they had to get kicked out of one dream, in order to get kicked out of another.

Levels, man.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BTW Saito ages so much because he dies in the 3rd level. A 3rd level can last as much as 10 years. And of course when you die in a dream you can be stuck in limbo for a very long time.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3472829 said:
BTW Saito ages so much because he dies in the 3rd level. A 3rd level can last as much as 10 years. And of course when you die in a dream you can be stuck in limbo for a very long time.

Saito died in the first level, actually. He wasn't injured in any of the other levels.

Dying in a dream doesn't automatically mean you're stuck, it actually wakes you up out of that dream. The only reason they were going to get stuck was because of the strength of the sedative they used so they could go deeper so dying wouldn't have woken them up like it usually would have, hence limbo. Dying in Limbo still brings you out of your dream, assuming the sedative has worn off.

Saito just became lost in Limbo, not realizing it was a dream so killing himself didn't seem like a smart thing to do because he believed it was real. He aged so quickly because time passes exponentially fast the deeper you get, there's no cap on how much time can pass based on what level you're in, so even though he had only been in Limbo for a short time, he had already aged immensely before Cobb joins him.

Cobb shows up and reminds him its a dream by repeating a conversation they had earlier, at which point they both (supposedly) kill themselves and wake up into the real world.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;3472862 said:
Saito died in the first level, actually. He wasn't injured in any of the other levels.

He was wounded in the 1st level, and ended up dying in the 3rd.

TheCount said:
Dying in a dream doesn't automatically mean you're stuck, it actually wakes you up out of that dream. The only reason they were going to get stuck was because of the strength of the sedative they used so they could go deeper so dying wouldn't have woken them up like it usually would have, hence limbo. Dying in Limbo still brings you out of your dream, assuming the sedative has worn off.

Actually they had no idea what was going to happen with the sedative. Going into limbo was something that could happen. Or they could simply wake up. Which is why I believe Saito aged so fast while Leo's character didn't.

TheCount said:
Yeah, but they were unsure if they would even be stuck in limbo. The whole point behind

Saito just became lost in Limbo, not realizing it was a dream so killing himself didn't seem like a smart thing to do because he believed it was real. He aged so quickly because time passes exponentially fast the deeper you get, there's no cap on how much time can pass based on what level you're in, so even though he had only been in Limbo for a short time, he had already aged immensely before Cobb joins him.

Actually different levels means different spans of time. They even described it in the movie.

TheCount said:
Cobb shows up and reminds him its a dream by repeating a conversation they had earlier, at which point they both (supposedly) kill themselves and wake up into the real world.

What?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3472890 said:
He was wounded in the 1st level, and ended up dying in the 3rd.

He died in the first level, which is why he died in the other levels.

Actually they had no idea what was going to happen with the sedative. Going into limbo was something that could happen. Or they could simply wake up. Which is why I believe Saito aged so fast while Leo's character didn't.

You don't remember them all getting mad because he didn't warn them they'd go to limbo if they died because they were using a strong sedative and Yusuf saying Cobb promised him all his share? Cobb and Yusuf knew what would happen and ended up telling the group right after Saito got shot in the first level.

Actually different levels means different spans of time. They even described it in the movie.

Different levels pass time at a different speed, a amount of time isn't associated with a level specifically, just the speed at which time passes and it gets exponentially faster the deeper you go.

Before they go into the dream, on the plane, Cobb and Saito have a conversation that includes much of what they end up discussing in Limbo. Including taking a leap of faith, being an old man full of regrets waiting to die, etc. That is what helps them remember they are dreaming, and why they kill themselves to get back to reality.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;3472940 said:
He died in the first level, which is why he died in the other levels.

I don't think you understand that they jump from one dream into another. 1st they all hook up in a dream state. Jump into Ritcher's dream. And then jump into the estate lawyer's dream. That's 3 levels.

Saito got shot in the 1st level/dream, and was still wounded every time he jumped up a following level until he finally expired.

Remember how they kept doing shots of him with blood seeping out of his clothes every, single level?

TheCount said:
You don't remember them all getting mad because he didn't warn them they'd go to limbo if they died because they were using a strong sedative and Yusuf saying Cobb promised him all his share? Cobb and Yusuf knew what would happen and ended up telling the group right after Saito got shot in the first level.

I do remember them all getting mad. I also remember Yusuf and Cobb saying that they didn't know exactly what was going to happen from the sedative. But that it was powerful enough for someone to potentially go into limbo during the event that they are killed during the dream.

TheCount said:
Different levels pass time at a different speed, a amount of time isn't associated with a level specifically, just the speed at which time passes and it gets exponentially faster the deeper you go.

Actually time goes slower, which is why in the 3rd level a 5 minute dream can stretch for 10 years.

TheCount said:
Before they go into the dream, on the plane, Cobb and Saito have a conversation that includes much of what they end up discussing in Limbo. Including taking a leap of faith, being an old man full of regrets waiting to die, etc. That is what helps them remember they are dreaming, and why they kill themselves to get back to reality.

The leap of faith was largely them betting on either of them even remembering the dream. Remember that whole deal about Saito "keeping our arrangement"? Cobb's whole involvement in the 1st place, was centered on Saito agreeing to allow him to go home. Even though it was likely that either of them would forget about it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3472967 said:
I don't think you understand that they jump from one dream into another. 1st they all hook up in a dream state. Jump into Ritcher's dream. And then jump into the estate lawyer's dream. That's 3 levels.

First off I assume you mean Fisher, not Ritcher, cause I have no idea who Ritcher is.

They never go into the Lawyer's dream. He is only a component of their attempt to manipulate Fisher Jr. so they can convince him the lawyer is betraying him to try and get into the safe. Eames mimics him in the dream.

The dream levels are as follows:
Van Level - Yusuf
Hotel Level - Arthur
Snow Level - Eames
Limbo - Cobb/Shared

That's 4 levels, not 3.

Also time doesn't go slower the deeper you get in, it goes faster, exponentially so. Hence 10 seconds in Yusuf's dream turning into 20 minutes in Arthur's dream.

The leap of faith had nothing to do with them entering the dream, the danger of Limbo wasn't present until they were already in the dream and Saito got shot so there was no danger of anyone forgetting anything.

In Limbo, they have a conversation similar to that earlier conversation which is what reminds Saito of his promise when he wakes up.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
TheCount;3473348 said:
First off I assume you mean Fisher, not Ritcher, cause I have no idea who Ritcher is.

They never go into the Lawyer's dream. He is only a component of their attempt to manipulate Fisher Jr. so they can convince him the lawyer is betraying him to try and get into the safe. Eames mimics him in the dream.

The dream levels are as follows:
Van Level - Yusuf
Hotel Level - Arthur
Snow Level - Eames
Limbo - Cobb/Shared

That's 4 levels, not 3.

Also time doesn't go slower the deeper you get in, it goes faster, exponentially so. Hence 10 seconds in Yusuf's dream turning into 20 minutes in Arthur's dream.

The leap of faith had nothing to do with them entering the dream, the danger of Limbo wasn't present until they were already in the dream and Saito got shot so there was no danger of anyone forgetting anything.

In Limbo, they have a conversation similar to that earlier conversation which is what reminds Saito of his promise when he wakes up.

You're just going to confuse Bob even more.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount said:

That sounds to me like time stretches in a dream.

TheCount;3473348 said:

Every time you go into a dream, there is a chance that you don't remember.

And you have to go back to the very beginning for the, "leap of faith". At the helicopter, when Cobb tried to leave, but Saito convinced him to stay on. Crikes, that was the whole theme of the movie.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3473811 said:
You're just going to confuse Bob even more.

I've noticed that. :D

Bob Sacamano;3473833 said:
That sounds to me like time stretches in a dream.
Well I don't know what it sounds like to you, but if I fast forward a movie, usually more happens in less time than when I hit slow motion.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Finally saw it last night. One of the most awe-inspiring movies I've ever seen.

Seriously, it was one of the best movies ever. And of course I was reminded of LOST.

We had the Sydney to Los Angeles flight that dealt with "LIMBO". And of course the protagonist that dealt with "moving on" and "letting go", just like Jack.

It all dealt with the same themes as LOST, but with a different structure, which I loved.

IT WAS PERFECT.

SMOKEY CAN SORT ALL OF THE DETAILS OUT!

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Finally got around to seeing it again and am ready to give it my rating. - 9/10. It was actually more enjoyable the 2nd time being able to spot things, and realizing things I hadn't even bothered to think about before (like the riot in the opening dream was the projections going after the one messing with things - the not so good architect).

As far as the ending, I'm pretty much 100% positive it was real. All of the signs point to it. And, the kids were older.

Only thing I'm not sure of is why Arthur didn't wake up from the initial kick, or since they're doing kicks in the level they're in, why Yusef didn't wake up from it as well (on the plane).

One thing that bugs me (and it's pretty minor) is that they say Arthur has a couple minutes before the 2nd kick, but he does all that stuff (getting the charges, wrapping the group, setting charges again, etc.) that would take a lot longer than a couple of minutes.

rkell87

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3474180 said:
Finally got around to seeing it again and am ready to give it my rating. - 9/10. It was actually more enjoyable the 2nd time being able to spot things, and realizing things I hadn't even bothered to think about before (like the riot in the opening dream was the projections going after the one messing with things - the not so good architect).

As far as the ending, I'm pretty much 100% positive it was real. All of the signs point to it. And, the kids were older.

Only thing I'm not sure of is why Arthur didn't wake up from the initial kick, or since they're doing kicks in the level they're in, why Yusef didn't wake up from it as well (on the plane).

One thing that bugs me (and it's pretty minor) is that they say Arthur has a couple minutes before the 2nd kick, but he does all that stuff (getting the charges, wrapping the group, setting charges again, etc.) that would take a lot longer than a couple of minutes.
and fighting a guy, yeah i was thinking the 6 minute time frame was not enough to do all that either