Informal Poll Is Garrett a better Head Coach than Wade?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096935 said:
Basing it strictly on record is a very naive and narrow minded way to look at who's the better coach.

That's one opinion. However, I find that in Football, down through the years, it's the most common measuring stick there is for Coaches. The only exception might be championships and that's debatable.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096925 said:
For those of you saying JG isn't a good OC, the Cowboys had the 6th best offense in the NFL last year and the 11th best in 2011. That's pretty darn good. And that's with no offensive line and a horrible running game which can be blamed on lack of red zone scoring. I think he's a great OC.

Yards are meaningless without points attached to them.

Dallas has been lopsidedly short on points for a while.

Not to mention nearly all production last year came when the team scrapped everything and ran the hurry up.

Change has been long overdue.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Hoofbite;5096942 said:
Yards are meaningless without points attached to them.

Dallas has been lopsidedly short on points for a while.

Not to mention nearly all production last year came when the team scrapped everything and ran the hurry up.

Change has been long overdue.

Why do you think the Cowboys have been "lopsidedly short on points for a while"?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;5096938 said:
I don't know, OL when Wade was here had Flo at LT, Kosier at LG, Gurode C, Davis at RG and Colombo at RT

Garrett was the OC and Dallas ranked 2nd in points and 3rd in yards.

I don't know how Garrett will do, I agree he must produce as the HC but part of taking over as a HC is putting in place people you want and getting rid of those you don't. In year 3 as HC he has to show it

I think that's debatable. He had Free in 2009 and 2010. Kosier, was often injured and not what he once was. Leonard Davis was still there but many here say he was no good so I don't know? Columbo was pretty much done by 2008. Flo was on his last legs as well and gone by 2009. Gurode was like Davis according to many of the fans. I don't see them as such but that's a lot of what you hear. On the whole, I'd say that the OL was better then then it is now but I think the offense was also more balanced then and that helped the OL. We weren't as one sided then. We have progressively become more and more one sided offensively and I think that more balance helps your OL out. Is that the talent on the OL or the Coach who is deciding what the game plan should be?

From a skills position, we are much better now then we were then IMO. Better depth and more experience.

Defensively, we are way better now then we were then. I think you can probably look at the OL and maybe make a case but not anywhere else IMO.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096947 said:
Why do you think the Cowboys have been "lopsidedly short on points for a while"?

Scoring offenses since 2007:

2007: 2nd

2008: 18th

2009: 14th

2010: 7th

2011: 15th

2012: 15th

Not sure what to make of this but if you combine a middle of the pack scoring offense with a defense that does NOT generate turnovers, you get 8-8.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096872 said:
I firmly believe that in order for Garrett to become a truly great coach, he will have to get fired and start again else where. I could be wrong but nothing I have seen, to date, suggests that to me.

That's just my opinion.

That's possible because there's head coaches you can point to that did become at least very good head coaches after being fired as head coaches early on. Mike Shanahan is one that comes to mind who got fired by the Raiders in 89 after a very short stint as their HC. As we all know he ended up winning back to back SB's in 97 and 98 with Denver. Belichick had a rough go early on as a head coach until he went to NE and Tom Brady came along. The big difference with those coaches and Garrett is both Shanahan and Belichick had a lot of coaching experience before ever landing their first head coaching job. Shanahan had 13 years of coaching experience before becoming the Raiders head coach.

Belichick had 16 years of coaching experience before becoming the Browns head coach. It took even more experience before he and Shanahan started having success as a head coach. Garrett only had 6 years of experience before Jerry handed him the keys to the Cowboys. He's having to learn on the job and if Jerry who adores him ends up having to fire him after bringing him to Dallas to groom him for the job I doubt he ever gets another head coaching opportunity with another NFL team.

He never earned his stripes to be a head coach it took an owner like Jerry who had Garrett as a player back in the 90's for him to get the opportunity. With all his glaring coaching blunders and the way the team has performed so inconsistently under him I just can't see another NFL team hiring him as their HC. If he's fired after the 2013 season there won't be anything he's done to inspire another NFL team to hire him as their HC. Shanahan got another head coaching opportunity because he was very successful as the 49ers OC from 92-94. That's what earned him that head coaching job in Denver.

For Garrett to get another head coaching opportunity some team is going to have to hire him as their OC and he's going to have to have success. With him being stripped in Dallas of his play calling responsibilities he's going to have a difficult time just getting an OC job. QB coach is about the best he'll get offered in my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096947 said:

We are terrible in the Redzone. We can't effectively run the ball but then again, we don't really do a very good job of committing to the run and making it stick either. There are lots of contributing factors but the original statement is valid. You gotta be able to score points or all you do is lose tired.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;5096956 said:
That's possible because there's head coaches you can point to that did become at least very good head coaches after being fired as head coaches early on. Mike Shanahan is one that comes to mind who got fired by the Raiders in 89 after a very short stint as their HC. As we all know he ended up winning back to back SB's in 97 and 98 with Denver. Belichick had a rough go early on as a head coach until he went to NE and Tom Brady came along. The big difference with those coaches and Garrett is both Shanahan and Belichick had a lot of coaching experience before ever landing their first head coaching job. Shanahan had 13 years of coaching experience before becoming the Raiders head coach.

Belichick had 16 years of coaching experience before becoming the Browns head coach. It took even more experience before he and Shanahan started having success as a head coach. Garrett only had 6 years of experience before Jerry handed him the keys to the Cowboys. He's having to learn on the job and if Jerry who adores him ends up having to fire him after bringing him to Dallas to groom him for the job I doubt he ever gets another head coaching opportunity with another NFL team.

He never earned his stripes to be a head coach it took an owner like Jerry who had Garrett as a player back in the 90's for him to get the opportunity. With all his glaring coaching blunders and the way the team has performed so inconsistently under him I just can't see another NFL team hiring him as their HC. If he's fired after the 2013 season there won't be anything he's done to inspire another NFL team to hire him as their HC. Shanahan got another head coaching opportunity because he was very successful as the 49ers OC from 92-94. That's what earned him that head coaching job in Denver.

For Garrett to get another head coaching opportunity some team is going to have to hire him as their OC and he's going to have to have success. With him being stripped in Dallas of his play calling responsibilities he's going to have a difficult time just getting an OC job. QB coach is about the best he'll get offered in my opinion.

There are certain things that I believe you learn as hard lessons when you lose a job. Doesn't mean you will not ultimately be successful. Just means that if you never learn these lessons, it's harder to actually learn what you need to know to become successful. With Garrett, it's even more so IMO. He just has so little actual coaching experience before becoming a HC in the NFL. He is at a real disadvantage, IMO, where other HCs are concerned.

That's just how I see life through my own experiences.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096957 said:
We are terrible in the Redzone. We can't effectively run the ball but then again, we don't really do a very good job of committing to the run and making it stick either. There are lots of contributing factors but the original statement is valid. You gotta be able to score points or all you do is lose tired.

My question is why are we terrible in the red zone? Why can't we effectively run the football?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
THIS is the problem:

Defensive TAKEAWAYS since 2007:

2007- 17th
2008- 24th
2009- 26th
2010- 10th
2011- 16th
2012- 30th

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096963 said:
My question is why are we terrible in the red zone? Why can't we effectively run the football?

Right, my answer is that we are not a very good running team. That, along with several other factors all contribute. What is the disconnect?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
TheSport78;5096965 said:
THIS is the problem:

2007- 17th
2008- 24th
2009- 26th
2010- 10th
2011- 16th
2012- 30th

That's a huge problem!

Your pretty smart at 2:24 MT on a Friday afternoon there TS78.

;)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;5096923 said:
It adds up if the supporting cast is average or below average.

I don't think the supporting cast has been average it's the coaching that's been average at best. Parcells went 10-6 with practically the same players Campo went 5-11 with 3 straight seasons. When you have a good productive QB, a future Hall of Famer at TE and an elite sack master on defense who's another future Hall of Famer that simply doesn't add up to a 16-16 record over the past 2 seasons.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096960 said:
There are certain things that I believe you learn as hard lessons when you lose a job. Doesn't mean you will not ultimately be successful. Just means that if you never learn these lessons, it's harder to actually learn what you need to know to become successful. With Garrett, it's even more so IMO. He just has so little actual coaching experience before becoming a HC in the NFL. He is at a real disadvantage, IMO, where other HCs are concerned.

That's just how I see life through my own experiences.

You can learn hard lessons but someone still has to give you another opportunity. If Garrett loses his head coaching job for him to ultimately be successful in "coaching" another team is going to have to give him an opportunity and that will only be as an assistant. He'll have to prove himself in that capacity before ever being considered for an NFL head coaching job again.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096963 said:

Well, one of the major reasons is that we don't commit to it. We have steadily moved more towards a passing offense then we have a running offense. That doesn't help us in the running game. We also haven't really invested in the OL the way we should have. We like shinny a little too much IMO. Play calling is also part of the problem. We don't try real hard to shorten the field through field position and we don't create a lot of TOs. All of these things are contributing factors.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096963 said:

OL has been an issue in the redzone as has stupid penalties that keep shooting the team in the foot causing the Cowboys to have to settle for FG attempts. At times the Cowboys move the ball well between the 20's but once they get into the redzone Garrett has become conservative and the penalties start popping up. The OL hasn't blocked well all of this has resulted in a number of bogged down drives.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;5096971 said:
You can learn hard lessons but someone still has to give you another opportunity. If Garrett loses his head coaching job for him to ultimately be successful in "coaching" another team is going to have to give him an opportunity and that will only be as an assistant. He'll have to prove himself in that capacity before ever being considered for an NFL head coaching job again.

If he learns those lessons, he will be a better OC for it and that will translate into being a better HC but I agree, he will ultimately have to prove it. He will have to earn it and that's what is missing IMO.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheSport78;5096965 said:
THIS is the problem:

2007- 17th
2008- 24th
2009- 26th
2010- 10th
2011- 16th
2012- 30th

Bingo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096952 said:
I think that's debatable. He had Free in 2009 and 2010. Kosier, was often injured and not what he once was. Leonard Davis was still there but many here say he was no good so I don't know? Columbo was pretty much done by 2008. Flo was on his last legs as well and gone by 2009. Gurode was like Davis according to many of the fans. I don't see them as such but that's a lot of what you hear. On the whole, I'd say that the OL was better then then it is now but I think the offense was also more balanced then and that helped the OL. We weren't as one sided then. We have progressively become more and more one sided offensively and I think that more balance helps your OL out. Is that the talent on the OL or the Coach who is deciding what the game plan should be?

From a skills position, we are much better now then we were then IMO. Better depth and more experience.

Defensively, we are way better now then we were then. I think you can probably look at the OL and maybe make a case but not anywhere else IMO.

Skill postion we are getting there he had and established WR in TO now we have Dez who made big strides this past season. I think things are progressing, out of the OL players Wade had none are on the team we have been replacing maybe not as fast as some would like but we have had other areas we have had to address as well and have done so.

I'm with you Garrett has to get this team over the top and do something in post season. I think any coach who is hired deserves the time to get the job done. I think time is now for this team to take that next step, if they don't Garrett likely will be gone.

khiladi

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;5096762 said:

Garrett is no longer the OC and Tony Romo is now being given input into the offensive play-calling. The latest spin is Garrett never had an issue with not being the OC, but that's the farthest thing from the truth. Everybody use to talk about his 'complex' playbook and genius mind.