Informal Poll Is Garrett a better Head Coach than Wade?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
TwoDeep3;5097113 said:
The real question should be does head coaching matter as much as the talent on the field that has to execute the designs of the head coach?

And in that nugget you have your answer about Garrett, Phillips, Parcels, Campo, Gailey....and most importantly, why Switzer won a championship.

Because this team is steeped in an attitude of entitlement with the players and they either do not have the talent to execute the designs, or they have the talent but are not motivated enough to actually come up big when big is what's called for.

Each year this team plays to a level that is not winning football. Some will argue that .500 is winning, but the snickers you hear in the back ground are the people who understand this is not some zero sum game.

This team is no longer the same type of team that is littered throughout the history books of the NFL as a winner.

It is designed in a way that .500 is acceptable, and now even the fans accept this.

Arguing over Garret vs Wade ignores the bigger picture that this may be the players, or the over-all culture of this franchise that continues to field a .500 team.

You do the math on what causes this problem with THIS TEAM.

But to be sure Callahan is not the answer. Nor is Kiffin and Maranelli, or Garrett if the entire franchise is based on a paradigm that not only fosters mediocre as acceptable, but strives for it.

I think it does matter.

The Rooneys were a joke until they hired Chuck Noll.

The Giants were a bad joke until they hired Parcells. Became a joke again under Handley and Reeves, regained some credibility with Fassel and then became one of the more respected organizations in football under Coughlin.

Speaking of the man; the Jaguars were a solid organization when he was the coach. Now I would think they are the organization most likely to move to LA or London.

How about the York family in San Francisco? They were considered a bad joke under their various head coaches until Harbaugh came along.

Yeah, I think coaching matters a ton.

YR

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TwoDeep3;5097113 said:
The real question should be does head coaching matter as much as the talent on the field that has to execute the designs of the head coach?

And in that nugget you have your answer about Garrett, Phillips, Parcels, Campo, Gailey....and most importantly, why Switzer won a championship.

Because this team is steeped in an attitude of entitlement with the players and they either do not have the talent to execute the designs, or they have the talent but are not motivated enough to actually come up big when big is what's called for.

Each year this team plays to a level that is not winning football. Some will argue that .500 is winning, but the snickers you hear in the back ground are the people who understand this is not some zero sum game.

This team is no longer the same type of team that is littered throughout the history books of the NFL as a winner.

It is designed in a way that .500 is acceptable, and now even the fans accept this.

Arguing over Garret vs Wade ignores the bigger picture that this may be the players, or the over-all culture of this franchise that continues to field a .500 team.

You do the math on what causes this problem with THIS TEAM.

But to be sure Callahan is not the answer. Nor is Kiffin and Maranelli, or Garrett if the entire franchise is based on a paradigm that not only fosters mediocre as acceptable, but strives for it.

The sense of entitlement players are gone. That was a Wade issue.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
ksadler1;5097060 said:
I think the better comparison would be to Sean Payton. I'd be curious to see if Garrett could have done (in NO) what Payton was able to do. Then again, would Payton have been able to do that in Dallas? I definitely do not think Jones would have given Payton the freedom that NO did so I'd have to say no. But I'd sure like to see what Garrett could do if Jones ever gets the hell out of the way.....

Sean Payton spent 18 years as an assistant coach before becoming a head coach.

Garrett spent 5.

We're suffering through that seasoning he needs.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
junk;5097178 said:
Sean Payton spent 18 years as an assistant coach before becoming a head coach.

Garrett spent 5.

We're suffering through that seasoning he needs.

You honestly believe what's holding this team back is Jason Garrett's lack of experience as a coach?

What held the other coaches back?

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Risen Star;5097179 said:
You honestly believe what's holding this team back is Jason Garrett's lack of experience as a coach?

What held the other coaches back?

Its a big part of it. You dont just become an NFL head coach. You work at it for decades, you learn from brilliant people and it eventually pays off with a HC gig. I dont care who Jason played for, he worked under Nick Saban and his job with Harrington and Culpepper was enough to somehow get hired.

Doomsay

Reaction score
You need both a strong football-focused head office and an appropriately experienced, smart and respect-worthy coach to win in the NFL. And you need to have the former afford the latter the freedom to conduct almost all football operations until "it's time to go in a different direction".

With the notable exception of Jason's intelligence, I don't think that the above is a description of Valley Ranch at the moment.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
17yearsandcounting;5097201 said:
Its a big part of it. You dont just become an NFL head coach. You work at it for decades, you learn from brilliant people and it eventually pays off with a HC gig. I dont care who Jason played for, he worked under Nick Saban and his job with Harrington and Culpepper was enough to somehow get hired.

Yeah, it's really held back Jim Harbaugh. Or his brother. He of the Special Teams coach experience.

Maybe our head coach isn't put in a position to succeed. At some point you have to stop blaming the revolving door of coaches and look higher up the food chain.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsay;5097205 said:
You need both a strong football-focused head office and an appropriately experienced, smart and respect-worthy coach to win in the NFL. And you need to have the former afford the latter the freedom to conduct almost all football operations until "it's time to go in a different direction".

With the notable exception of Jason's intelligence, I don't think that the above is a description of Valley Ranch at the moment.

Good post.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Risen Star;5097217 said:
Yeah, it's really held back Jim Harbaugh. Or his brother. He of the Special Teams coach experience.

Maybe our head coach isn't put in a position to succeed. At some point you have to stop blaming the revolving door of coaches and look higher up the food chain.

Harbaugh? The guy with 20 years of experience? That guy?

dfan32

Reaction score
If we're talking Headcoach, Garrett is definitely better that Wade.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
REDVOLUTION;5097180 said:
I think we win a SB title with RED.

Never felt we could/would with Wade.

when we were 13-3 , you honestly felt that way?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ShiningStar;5097238 said:

Not that it matters much, but I liked our chances in 2009 better than 2007. 2007 I saw that Giants 'upset' coming. In 2009, I thought we were peaking at the perfect time, and thought we'd make short work of MINNY. Oops.

I think, given what was available at the time, Wade was a good coach for Dallas after Parcels left us in the lurch. He lost control of his team, though.

I think overall, Garrett's had some learning to do. He's like a young QB who has all the tools and has the head for it, but who makes decisions early that get you beat while he's figuring it out. But you can see from a mile away, he's got all the tools. Oh, and he's also inherited one of the most difficult circumstances in the NFL working in Dallas and under Jerry Jones.

I feel like we're watching second-year Troy Aikman again. And I remember clearly there were people who were convinced we needed to put in Steve Walsh. We didn't.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
17yearsandcounting;5097201 said:

Harrington was an absolute dud. Getting anything out of him should be considered masterful. Culpepper was done by the time he got to Miami. You can hold those against Garrett if you want, but it's like blaming any coach for players that didn't perform. You could blame Norv Turner for not getting anything out of Heath Shuler, but the guy couldn't play.

Of course, you can't discount experience, but that's one factor, and it only means so much. The league is littered with guys who had a ton of experience under "great coaches", who did absolutely nothing as a HC. Either you can coach or you can't. We're all aware of where you stand on that with Garrett.

And to just toss out the experience Garrett got under coaches like JJ, Norv, Saban, etc. is just :laugh2:

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Idgit;5097241 said:
Not that it matters much, but I liked our chances in 2009 better than 2007. 2007 I saw that Giants 'upset' coming. In 2009, I thought we were peaking at the perfect time, and thought we'd make short work of MINNY. Oops.

yeah opps, because in some situations, like Dallas, it wasnt all the coaches problem, nor could the coach cure some of our headaches. It just happens with organizations. Sometimes good coaches have to battle the organization to do the right thing. In our case we had some bad decisions still in the organization and their ugly heads always reared at the worst time.

A lot of that has been cleaned up.

All the old coaches didnt have to deal with FA, and endorsements, and players thinking about deals instead of the play, and their are GM.s that help a team and hurt a team. There is so much going on behind the scenes that we still dont know what goes on.

Look at detriot with millen. Hes a good guy, but he got into that rut and the head coaches had to deal with it. Poor Charley Casserly, takes the better player for his team over Reggie Bush and hes laughed at. Look who was right.
It happens, we dont have all the information, but we have an opinion, and that gives us free will to spout off and most times not be correct.

My list of being wrong, just on the Cowboys is impressive.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
ShiningStar;5097238 said:

I thought we had showed some serious kinks toward the end of the season, and the team just acted like they had already won something when they hadn't yet. Plus, you had the Patriots standing in the way. Sure, we could have had a fluke like NYG did, but the chances would have been small.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Picksix;5097246 said:
I thought we had showed some serious kinks toward the end of the season, and the team just acted like they had already won something when they hadn't yet. Plus, you had the Patriots standing in the way. Sure, we could have had a fluke like NYG did, but the chances would have been small.

i agree, but you have to admit, the team was rolling and doing good things. IT wouldnt have been a big surprise, but it could have been done. Idgit is right tho, i think the team in 09 had a better chance. but thats why the games are played.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
ShiningStar;5097247 said:
i agree, but you have to admit, the team was rolling and doing good things. IT wouldnt have been a big surprise, but it could have been done. Idgit is right tho, i think the team in 09 had a better chance. but thats why the games are played.

Oh sure, it absolutely could have been done. I just didn't feel like it would.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ShiningStar;5097247 said:

Watched that '09' game in Vegas, with money on the line, with my business partner, who's a lifelong Minny fan. I was trying to hard not to be smug going in--and he appreciated that because he secretly thought we were going to spank them, too. Man, that second half with our tackles collapsing was the worst. Ray Edwards? Are you kidding me?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
xwalker;5096026 said:
Is Garrett a better Head Coach than Wade?

The final chapter in the comparison story will be written this season. Until then, the book is incomplete.

I cann't tell you how many times I have said it over the past few years...

"Garrett was in over his head from day one with HC and OC responsibilities handed to him on a silver platter".

Now that he is being made to fit into a more holistic strategizer role that may lend more opportunity for success, I will be very interestd to see how he uses the opportunity.