Informal Poll Is Garrett a better Head Coach than Wade?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Idgit;5096487 said:
You could compare their respective careers to this point in Garrett's tenure if you wanted to. Interestingly, Wade first took over as an interim HC, too (in NO, where he went 1-3). His first full two years, in Denver? 9-7 and 7-9. Lol. Doesn't tell us much.

There are too many factors that go into NFL HC jobs to just look at the team's final record and draw assumptions from that. You really do have to look at the context for each season and decide for yourself whether or not a good job is being done. Lots of good coaches have seasons where they end up worse than 500. Especially early in their careers.

The real question is whether or not the guy has the ability to build a strong program over time. I can see why people think Garrett can't, but the things I care about the most all look pretty good from where I'm sitting. By the same token, I don't think there are (many) personnel excuses left. We've pretty much addressed--with the exception of RT--every place I think needed attention. So, we'll see what happens. All things being equal, barring injury and if the defensive change wasn't a mistake, I think we've got a good team this season.

The only fair way is to compare their head coaching careers is after their first 2 full seasons. There's a lot of factors in judging what kind of job an NFL head coach is doing but they're ultimately judged by how their team performs on the field. Regardless of all the many factors that go into head coaching jobs a head coaches won/loss/playoff record is what determines their fate. Regardless whether a head coach has to rebuild a team or just retool at some point their team has to start winning consistently and make the playoffs for them to keep their job. Both Wade and Garrett were 16-16 after their first 2 full seasons as a head coach but Wade ended up getting fired after his second full season even though his Denver team made the playoffs one season.

To judge both coaches during their first 2 seasons you have to look at the teams they took over. Wade had Elway as his QB all be it an aging Elway however Elway still had enough left to win back to back SB's 3 years after Wade got fired. The fact that Wade wasn't successful with a team that had a John Elway and ended up winning back to back SB's 3 years after he was fired makes you question him as a HC. Now in all fairness to Wade Denver added some weapons after he was fired such as Terrell Davis that made a huge impact on that team.

Garrett took over a Cowboys team that had some talent especially at QB and receiver. What makes you question him as a HC is he's had one of the most productive QB's in the league who's put up just over 9000 passing yards and 59 TD's in his first 2 seasons as head coach. On defense he's also had one of the top pass rushers in the league in Demarcus Ware who's put up a staggering 31 sacks in his first 2 seasons as head coach. A 16-16 record over the past 2 seasons simply doesn't add up for a team that has such a productive QB and pass rusher.

Wade's failure as a head coach was not having his team prepared for the playoffs. He had some pretty good teams during the regular season but they fell flat once the playoffs arrived. Wade had a reputation for being soft and for coddling his players. In Dallas his training camps were known as camp cupcake. Garrett's failure so far as a head coach is his inability to manage games. He's made some glaring mistakes mismanaging the clock in critical situations late in games that directly resulted in a huge gaff that cost his team a game vs AZ 2 years ago.

He's mismanaged the clock a number of times and the team has looked terribly disorganized late in games like we saw vs the Ravens last season. Players don't always show a sense of urgency and some don't even know when to be on the field. It's cost the team TO's and it's resulted in several delay of game penalties. With the type of team the Cowboys have and the way the game is today with pass happy offenses most games are coming down to the wire so being able to manage the clock is critical. Garrett has looked in over his head at times late in games you see all kinds of confusion which he was forced to address after the season was over. Garrett is very good at saying all the right things he's an excellent speaker but what he says and what we see on the field from his team isn't adding up.

Anyone can talk a good game but it's about performance and so far the Cowboys have not performed consistently under him and time is running out. After his first 2 seasons he hasn't shown he's a good head coach and the Cowboys record reflects that. Wade didn't show he was a good HC after his first 2 seasons which is why he was fired. Being a good speaker and saying all the right things may get you a job but it takes results to keep it. The players haven't shown in their performance on the field they're buying into what Garrett repeatedly preaches. Garrett keeps saying it's a process but in the NFL you only have so long as a coach to start getting results on the field.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Risen Star;5096813 said:
True, ABQ.

But Garrett does not have one thing Parcells had in Dallas. Control over his own locker room. Remember Jerry talking about "walking on egg shells" while Bill was here? That meant he couldn't pull his control freak routine he's doing now.

Whatever Parcells did here, and I think it was his finest coaching job in his career considering the circumstances, he would not have been as successful with the Jerry you see now. We needed a culture change and that change had everything to do with the owner respecting his head coach again.

I think Garrett is better than Wade if only because he realizes a head coach must instill discipline and structure within his football team. Wade is a hands off pushover with no backbone.

I agree with what you say here, to an extent. Parcells had a track record and demanded certain concessions from Jerry that Garrett could not and probably still can not to this day. That's the price of hiring a HC that was already a lock for the HOF as opposed to Hiring a HC who's highest achievement in Coaching has been the OC of the Dallas Cowboys for three seasons and two years as QB Coach for Miami, prior to being named HC of the Dallas Cowboys.

I don't agree that Garrett is better then Wade. I think it's possible that he could eventually be better but I don't think that is the case right now. There have been a lot of great, great coaches in the NFL but I can only think of a handful that have been great from their very 1st posting. We were lucky enough to have had two of them but I'm not certain we will have three. I firmly believe that in order for Garrett to become a truly great coach, he will have to get fired and start again else where. I could be wrong but nothing I have seen, to date, suggests that to me.

That's just my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hostile;5096845 said:
Sorry Max.

Why are you sorry Mike? You have your opinion and I have mine. You may eventually prove to be right but then again, you may not and we both know that you know as much as I do about the situation so as far as I see it, there is nothing to be sorry for.

It is what it is.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;5096824 said:
Why do people answer this, but not provide any reasoning behind their opinion?

What makes you say Garrett, hands down.. at this point?

If he's saying if his only 2 options were Wade and Garrett "at this moment" I would also take Garrett over Wade. Wade has already proven he can't get it done as a HC while the jury is still out on Garrett. He's much younger than Wade and there's still hope he might develop into a good HC although the clock is ticking. What makes me question Garrett's ability to ever be a good HC is that he wasn't a very good OC.

There isn't anything he did as an OC that would warrant a promotion to HC. He's partly responsible for that 1-7 start in 2010. It was his play call on opening night a pass to Choice right before the half in which Choice fumbled that led to a scoop and score vs Washington that contributed greatly to that loss.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hostile;5096906 said:
It is a sure thing.

There is only one sure thing in life. However, if you believe it's a sure thing, that's fine with me. I know that there is no such thing and this is not even on the 1st page of things I might look at and say could be as close to a a sure thing as you can get.

We disagree on that. It's fine.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096872 said:
I firmly believe that in order for Garrett to become a truly great coach, he will have to get fired and start again else where. I could be wrong but nothing I have seen, to date, suggests that to me.

Interesting belief.

Its a shame that everyone is looking for a quick fix and very few are willing to see things through if measurable (wins) results are not immediate.

I believe Garrett is making progress with this team, small as it may be. Most believe that Jerry will fire him after the season if he does not win in the playoffs. I don't. That's my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;5096916 said:
Its a shame that everyone is looking for a quick fix and very few are willing to see things through if measurable (wins) results are not immediate.

What constitutes quick?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
KJJ;5096858 said:
A 16-16 record over the past 2 seasons simply doesn't add up for a team that has such a productive QB and pass rusher.

It adds up if the supporting cast is average or below average.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
For those of you saying JG isn't a good OC, the Cowboys had the 6th best offense in the NFL last year and the 11th best in 2011. That's pretty darn good. And that's with no offensive line and a horrible running game which can be blamed on lack of red zone scoring. I think he's a great OC.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096925 said:
For those of you saying JG isn't a good OC, the Cowboys had the 6th best offense in the NFL last year and the 11th best in 2011.
Call us when they put yards on the scoreboard.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;5096923 said:
It adds up if the supporting cast is average or below average.

Perhaps this is true, I don't know but it's no more true then it was for Wade. In fact, the supporting cast now is probably better then when Wade was here. JMO of course.

Gaede

Reaction score
There are just so many excuses in this thread for why Garrett is better than he's shown--excuses for everything he fails at and excuses to dispute every fact demonstrating how mediocre he is and we are as a result.

And there are just as many excuses for why Wade wasn't as good as he showed.

Facts are facts and Wade was more successful as a head coach.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Gaede;5096932 said:
There are just so many excuses in this thread for why Garrett is better than he's shown--excuses for everything he fails at and excuses to dispute every fact demonstrating how mediocre he is and we are as a result.

And there are just as many excuses for why Wade wasn't as good as he showed.

Facts are facts and Wade was more successful as a head coach.

Basing it strictly on record is a very naive and narrow minded way to look at who's the better coach.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096935 said:
Basing it strictly on record is a very naive and narrow minded way to look at who's the better coach.

I agree. When you take into account that Garrett's teams have had a better supporting cast around its star players, and Wade still has the better record.. its pretty telling to this point who the better coach has been.

If Jason can't win this year with this coaching staff we have assembled and the talent we have on the field.. there is a problem.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;5096926 said:
2-3 years.

Sounds as if we are on the same page. Garrett has been HC of the Dallas Cowboys for 2-3 years now. If he doesn't show improvement, he's probably in trouble.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096931 said:
Perhaps this is true, I don't know but it's no more true then it was for Wade. In fact, the supporting cast now is probably better then when Wade was here. JMO of course.

I don't know, OL when Wade was here had Flo at LT, Kosier at LG, Gurode C, Davis at RG and Colombo at RT

Garrett was the OC and Dallas ranked 2nd in points and 3rd in yards.

I don't know how Garrett will do, I agree he must produce as the HC but part of taking over as a HC is putting in place people you want and getting rid of those you don't. In year 3 as HC he has to show it