Informal Poll

Nirvana

Reaction score
I have a theory that relates to people that either like or dislike both of these players.

Please tell me if you think Wilcox and Parnell can be quality starters for the Cowboys in 2015.

Please vote in this format:

Yes, yes
Yes, no
No, yes
No, no

Yes, Yes

dasander

Reaction score
I have a theory that relates to people that either like or dislike both of these players.

Please tell me if you think Wilcox and Parnell can be quality starters for the Cowboys in 2015.

Please vote in this format:

Yes, yes
Yes, no
No, yes
No, no

No, yes
I think Wilcox can be a non-quality starter that takes poor angles towards ball carriers & got lucky on a few turnovers this year.

Bluestang

Reaction score
It appears to me that the posters are pretty divided.

But this thread needs the OPs "theory" to validate the poll.

I have a feeling though that the poll didn't prove the theory.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be curious to see how much help the Cowboys provided Parnell compared to Free. It would be interesting to see if Witten and Hannah aligned to the right side of the formation more often after Free went down, and whether Murray chipped the LDE on his way out of the backfield or stayed home in pass protection with his eye on the right side of the line.

I don't have the numbers on a per snaps basis, but from many hours of studying the game footage, it was about the same.

Temo

Reaction score
Seems like you're high on Parnell. So what's your take on Wilcox, OP?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would a player try to create a rule that is strictly against the NFL media rules? Players get fined for not talking to the media.

Please cite your source @xwalker about Free trying to impose the no talk to media rule.

This was a well discussed "rule" in some earlier years. Brad Sham for one discussed it because they wanted to get an OL to talk on their post game show.

Larry Allen never talked to the media. The first time I ever heard him speak was long after his playing days. The media won't hound Offensive Linemen to talk like they do with Marshawn Lynch.

This issue with Free and Freed has been discussed here at CZ and not by me. Some things are basically common knowledge if you listen to local DFW sports talk radio.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Guaranteed?

Who and where.

And have you made this knowledge available to the teams front office?

Wilcox ain't great but at this point the front seven is a bigger need.

Yeah obviously the front seven is a bigger need, but that's not in question here. Hopefully with the draft comes a better playmaker in the secondary.

Bluestang

Reaction score
This was a well discussed "rule" in some earlier years. Brad Sham for one discussed it because they wanted to get an OL to talk on their post game show.

Brad Sham discussed this this year?

I just have a hard time believing that any player would try to enforce a rule that goes against NFL policy. Rolando McClain tried to dodge the media in camp but quickly decided against it when he found out the consequences.

The commissioner has every right to discipline a player in violation of the media policy according to the rule book.

However, it's the media that usually turns in a complaint to the league that initiates the discipline and no one else. So when you see a player get fined for not talking to the media it was because someone in the media filed the complaint most of the time.

Larry Allen never talked to the media. The first time I ever heard him speak was long after his playing days. The media won't hound Offensive Linemen to talk like they do with Marshawn Lynch.

OL in general are not popular players that the media go after. It's usually the skill position guys but in Lynch's case he puts himself in that position because he wants to. There are a long list of players that refused to talk to the media and they never received a complaint against them because the media didn't pursue it and there are others like Lynch that purposely do it to gain attention.

This issue with Free and Freed has been discussed here at CZ and not by me. Some things are basically common knowledge if you listen to local DFW sports talk radio.

And you try to make it out like some sort of power struggle between Free and the rest of the OL. Mincey was a clear leader for the DL and the locker room yet he wasn't the best player in the room. Free is clearly the leader of the OL and his skill compared to the rest of those guys has no bearing on what his leadership imparts on that group.

This whole Parnell is better than Free obsession is getting out of hand. This poll hasn't proved anything other than its a more of a 50/50 split. A few people have asked for your theory and you've yet to provide anything useful to the poll.

Make the point of this thread useful...please.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brad Sham discussed this this year?

I just have a hard time believing that any player would try to enforce a rule that goes against NFL policy. Rolando McClain tried to dodge the media in camp but quickly decided against it when he found out the consequences.

The commissioner has every right to discipline a player in violation of the media policy according to the rule book.

However, it's the media that usually turns in a complaint to the league that initiates the discipline and no one else. So when you see a player get fined for not talking to the media it was because someone in the media filed the complaint most of the time.

OL in general are not popular players that the media go after. It's usually the skill position guys but in Lynch's case he puts himself in that position because he wants to. There are a long list of players that refused to talk to the media and they never received a complaint against them because the media didn't pursue it and there are others like Lynch that purposely do it to gain attention.

And you try to make it out like some sort of power struggle between Free and the rest of the OL. Mincey was a clear leader for the DL and the locker room yet he wasn't the best player in the room. Free is clearly the leader of the OL and his skill compared to the rest of those guys has no bearing on what his leadership imparts on that group.

This whole Parnell is better than Free obsession is getting out of hand. This poll hasn't proved anything other than its a more of a 50/50 split. A few people have asked for your theory and you've yet to provide anything useful to the poll.

Make the point of this thread useful...please.

The issue was about doing interviews with the media beyond the bare minimum requirements, not just giving some yes/no answers in the locker room. Again, it's common knowledge if you listen to local DFW sports talk radio that this happened.

You didn't even answer the poll but you're demanding to know the results...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like you're high on Parnell. So what's your take on Wilcox, OP?

I like Wilcox. I think much of the criticism of him taking bad angles is overrated. People pick out a handful of plays to judge a player and forget about the hundreds of other snaps were that play was good. Also, bad angles can at times be the fault of other players for not being in the correct spot or funneling the ball carrier in the correct direction according to the scheme. Marinelli likes his players to commit to the scheme and not freelance. The Safeties are dependent on other players doing what is expected within the scheme. If a LB freelances then it can easily cause a Safety to appear out of place.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
If the question is just 'can they be starters' then 'yes/yes.' I didn't consider either to be above average in 2014, which would probably be my definition of 'quality starter.' But I do think Wilcox is on a trajectory to be above average by next year, so let's say yes/no and be done with it.

Ditto.

I agree that we can expect growth from Wilcox whereas Parnell has likely maxed his potential, so yes/no.