Informal Poll

Carolina Cowboy

Reaction score
Why did I know this was a pseudo - Parnell thread? It may be total irrelevant, but what are the W vs. L when Free vs. Parnell were starting at RT?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why did I know this was a pseudo - Parnell thread? It may be total irrelevant, but what are the W vs. L when Free vs. Parnell were starting at RT?

The Cowboys had 2 losses with Free starting and 2 losses with Parnell starting in the regular season. They were 1-1 in the playoffs with Parnell starting.

The offense gave up less sacks per game and had a higher yards per carry in the games that Parnell started in the regular season.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
yes, yes.

they both "can be".

I think it more likely they are both average starters next season with a couple plus starting seasons to follow.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Cowboys had 2 losses with Free starting and 2 losses with Parnell starting in the regular season. They were 1-1 in the playoffs with Parnell starting.

The offense gave up less sacks per game and had a higher yards per carry in the games that Parnell started in the regular season.

Not to poke you with too sharp a stick but this answer seems pretty heavily biased.
Free started 11 games and Dallas was 9-2.
Parnell started 7 games and they went 4-3. --versus tough competition with two of those games being playoff games.
While rest of the info you added is fair to include it's probably not fair to characterize it the way that you did.

I don't think there was a real statistical difference in rushing or sacks when Free and Parnell played.
Dallas struggled to run versus DET, ARI and PHI twice. Those games were split evenly between Free/Parnell.
Dallas averaged 18% of their runs off Right Tackle that was tied for the 2nd highest percentage in football.
And they ranked 3rd in the NFL in yards gained per rush at Right Tackle. They were also 3rd at Left Tackle but a about half a yard less per attempt.

Both Free and Parnell were very good run blockers.

Ultimately the coaches trusted and started Doug Free more when he was healthy. Really hard to totally dismiss that, same as it is to dismiss Callahan saying Parnell could start for most teams.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to poke you with too sharp a stick but this answer seems pretty heavily biased.
Free started 11 games and Dallas was 9-2.
Parnell started 7 games and they went 4-3. --versus tough competition with two of those games being playoff games.
While rest of the info you added is fair to include it's probably not fair to characterize it the way that you did.

I don't think there was a real statistical difference in rushing or sacks when Free and Parnell played.
Dallas struggled to run versus DET, ARI and PHI twice. Those games were split evenly between Free/Parnell.
Dallas averaged 18% of their runs off Right Tackle that was tied for the 2nd highest percentage in football.
And they ranked 3rd in the NFL in yards gained per rush at Right Tackle. They were also 3rd at Left Tackle but a about half a yard less per attempt.

Both Free and Parnell were very good run blockers.

Ultimately the coaches trusted and started Doug Free more when he was healthy. Really hard to totally dismiss that, same as it is to dismiss Callahan saying Parnell could start for most teams.

OK, but in the games Parnell started they were 3-1 in the regular season when Romo started and 3-0 in games that Romo played all of the snaps.

Against the Giants they ran right 6 times with Free starting and 18 times with Parnell starting.

IMO, there is no evidence that either one if better than the other right now. They're about even. Going forward it's highly unlikely that Free will improve. The only possible change for Free is to get worse with age. With Parnell he is likely to get better with more starts. Free is 31 and had Ankle surgeries in both Jan 2014 and Jan 2015. Parnell is 28 and was healthy all season.

In regards to Free being a leader, how much leadership will the 3 Pro Bowlers Tyron, Fred and Martin need going forward? Free tried to implement a don't talk to the media rule for the OL but Fred not only talked but had his own weekly radio show with Martin frequently joining him.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I have a theory that relates to people that either like or dislike both of these players.

Please tell me if you think Wilcox and Parnell can be quality starters for the Cowboys in 2015.

Please vote in this format:

Yes, yes
Yes, no
No, yes
No, no
Yes, yes. But I have no qualms whatsoever about improving both positions just because I feel they could get the job done. I would never turn down a Darren Woodson or an Erik Williams just because I like a player or think he could get the job done.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Why would a player try to create a rule that is strictly against the NFL media rules? Players get fined for not talking to the media.

Please cite your source @xwalker about Free trying to impose the no talk to media rule.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
OK, but in the games Parnell started they were 3-1 in the regular season when Romo started and 3-0 in games that Romo played all of the snaps.

Against the Giants they ran right 6 times with Free starting and 18 times with Parnell starting.

IMO, there is no evidence that either one if better than the other right now. They're about even. Going forward it's highly unlikely that Free will improve. The only possible change for Free is to get worse with age. With Parnell he is likely to get better with more starts. Free is 31 and had Ankle surgeries in both Jan 2014 and Jan 2015. Parnell is 28 and was healthy all season.

In regards to Free being a leader, how much leadership will the 3 Pro Bowlers Tyron, Fred and Martin need going forward? Free tried to implement a don't talk to the media rule for the OL but Fred not only talked but had his own weekly radio show with Martin frequently joining him.

That's all fair.

I'd have zero issue with keeping Parnell if the money said to do so.
I do think Parnell will improve and have 4-5 quality seasons ahead of him while Free may be at 2 more quality seasons.
But that's the issue. Money. Parnell is 28 and looks to be improving and played for the best OL in football.
That to me says in free agency he hits all the magic markers for a payday.

Free on the other hand is coming off injury, 31 and being here as a leader of this OL seems to be what he cares about since he has already cashed massive checks.

MY overall OL plan would look like:
2014 re-sign Free two years (could be 3 or 4 but 2 real years); add a young OG who can start soon.
2015 add a RT who can start in 2016.
2016 add 1 young OL who can grow into a swing OT.
2017: pay TFred. start two cheap guys on rookie deals.
2018 pay Martin; see above.

If I pay Parnell 3-5m for the next 4-5 years I got my RT but it becomes really hard to keep my OL studs as they hit free agency.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Yes, No.

I think Parnell can be serviceable, but I think him in place of Free would be a sizeable drop-off.

Wilcox is more or less inconsistent. When he's playing good for him, he's a very good starter. This idea he had an 'awful' year I think people are over-reacting to his inconsistency.

YR

rpntex

Reaction score
yes and yes, but that depends ipon how you define "quality". They both are capable, but I would want both to be lot more consistent.

adamknite

Reaction score
yes, no

For what it's worth, I think Parnell is very good at what he is. A good backup that can come into the game in a pinch and play fine. I could be wrong, but I don't think he would be a good long term fit, but could be wrong about that obviously.

I'm perfectly fine with Wilcox. I don't feel like he's such a weak link that we should have to replace him immediately. I do think we should draft or bring in some viable options for potential replacement, but if we go into the season with Wilcox starting I would be ok with it.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score

I'd be curious to see how much help the Cowboys provided Parnell compared to Free. It would be interesting to see if Witten and Hannah aligned to the right side of the formation more often after Free went down, and whether Murray chipped the LDE on his way out of the backfield or stayed home in pass protection with his eye on the right side of the line.

FiveTime

Reaction score
I would say somewhat like, neither like nor dislike...but to conform to the format I'll say yes, no.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I have a theory that relates to people that either like or dislike both of these players.

Please tell me if you think Wilcox and Parnell can be quality starters for the Cowboys in 2015.

Please vote in this format:

Yes, yes
Yes, no
No, yes
No, no

Now that this has been out there for awhile, will you be tallying up the results and reporting the outcome? I am curious to see what the results are. Also would like to here your theory and how I relates to the results.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
No, no. There is better than Wilcox out there

Guaranteed?

Who and where.

And have you made this knowledge available to the teams front office?

Wilcox ain't great but at this point the front seven is a bigger need.

cano1

Reaction score
I say quality starters Yes, Yes.

Especially if they infuse talent at other positions, like D-line and solve the RB situation.

Difference makers come playoff time? No.