Insiders reporting TE at 26

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's where value and availability meet, at least at this point of "draft season".

I'm still hoping for JSN or one of the top 3 Corners to slip and would even consider Deonte Banks.

You may not like it, but if Bijan somehow slips to 26, you have to think about that seriously.

• Pollard is on a 1-year deal and knows this team can’t (absolutely should not) Franchise Tag him a second year.
  • If Zeke doesn't take a pay cut, you can make him a June 1 cut and save $10.9M in cap room.
  • The argument of you don't take a RB in the 1st round is too arbitrary. You probably don't take a sure-thing, bell cow RB at #4 overall, but adding a top 5 talent, playmaker at 26 is an extremely rare opportunity.
Picking in the last first means too many variables that are out of your control, especially since Jerry and Stephen are not great at negotiating on draft day (Jerry is impatient, Stephen is stingy). That being said, knowing who the players (Front Office) are, I would not be surprised at all if the team "feels" TE is the pick at this stage in the process.

For those of you who like to bash Broaddus, he's been "on" players going into the first round quite a few times because he knows how the team thinks and talks with them daily. He nailed Zack Martin, Byron Jones, and Taco (not that we should pick, that we would), and he also had K'Lavon Chaisson, who the team later admitted was going to be the pick before CeeDee Lamb fell into the team's lap.

I think a good chunk of you don't like Broaddus because he is critical of the "brain trust" here and was fired for it. Another chunk of you don't like him because he's crusty and can be condescending to fans, which is he is. I find he is right way more than he is wrong.
Since you are the big USC fan, what's your thoughts on Kincaid?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Which is why this report is nonsense. They're just guessing. The board isn't even stacked yet and they have no clue who will even be there when they pick.
Yeah, it is nonsense. They don’t know the position Dallas will take almost two months out.

I’ll agree that the late first is about where a couple of these TE’s will probably go, and of course there should be a need because Shultz is gone. However, to say that TE will be the pick is as likely to be wrong as right.

If course, Gibbs will likely be there at 26 too, not to mention some of the corners and edge rushers.

It will just depend on how the Cowboys rate the players, because they’ll probably take BPA.

JBS

Reaction score
Yeah, it is nonsense. They don’t know the position Dallas will take almost two months out.

I’ll agree that the late first is about where a couple of these TE’s will probably go, and of course there should be a need because Shultz is gone. However, to say that TE will be the pick is as likely to be wrong as right.

If course, Gibbs will likely be there at 26 too, not to mention some of the corners and edge rushers.

It will just depend on how the Cowboys rate the players, because they’ll probably take BPA.
They rarely go bpa. They get fixated on their guy and take their guy more often than not. Lamb being the exception, not the rule.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Yea, my problem with TE is positional value and it’s probably not even going to be BPA.

This is a great TE class but no 1st round lock studs for me.

Mayer: not a dynamic athlete
Musgrave: traits pick, injured and lack of production
Washington: traits pick, injured and lack of production
Kincaid: Maybe? Stud pass catcher but need to see something in the 4.5s to get excited about a 6’3 TE
I'm a BPA guy myself so if Bijan/Gibbs, an edge, corner or OL is at the top of their board he should be the pick, but if that guy is Kincaid they are seeing him more as a weapon than just a "TE." And I agree. A "TE" that presents matchup problems and catches balls down the field is just as valuable as a WR.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
They rarely go bpa. They get fixated on their guy and take their guy more often than not. Lamb being the exception, not the rule.
They have tiers which they stay within typically. They, like everyone else have a plan going in and targets… but when a guy like Lamb falls, they’ll change those plans. He was likely in a higher tier than Chaisson, making then switch gears.

They will not necessarily follow BPA in the same tier… they will follow need a little more.

In 2021 they had targeted both Surtain and Horn who were both rated slightly lower than Parsons… but in the same tier.

When both of their targets were taken, they followed their board and took the highest rated guy in Micah.

I agree with that process and think most teams do things similarly.

If they had Micah in a tier above Surtain, I think they would have taken him ahead of the corners, like they did with Lamb.

Whatever way they do it, they’re doing well. They have one of the most talented teams in the league without doing much in free agency.

Going back to the thread topic… it wouldn’t be surprising at all for a couple TE to be targets, or in the highest tier still left on the board.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Since you are the big USC fan, what's your thoughts on Kincaid?
https://sports.yahoo.com/dalton-kincaid-prevented-usc-making-152113107.html

from the article....

Dalton Kincaid is the man who most centrally prevented USC from winning the Pac-12 championship and making the College Football Playoff in 2022, wanted to play in the 2023 Rose Bowl for Utah against Penn State. At the very least, one should operate under that assumption, given how special it is for the Utes to play in the Granddaddy.

Best part is I was at the game as a guest of the Utah Head Coach and had to sit there, no USC gear on, and act like I was cool with Utah smashing us.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'm a BPA guy myself so if Bijan/Gibbs, an edge, corner or OL is at the top of their board he should be the pick, but if that guy is Kincaid they are seeing him more as a weapon than just a "TE." And I agree. A "TE" that presents matchup problems and catches balls down the field is just as valuable as a WR.
I guess I’d consider myself “BPA with an emphasis on positional value.”

Bijan / Gibbs will be a hard pass for me. And like I said, it’s going to be really hard for me to get on board with any of these guys. If there is a similar talent available at DE, WR, OT etc…I’m leaning that way every time.

Otto65

Reaction score
If I was drafting for the Cowboys I would try to move up from number 26 and draft the tackle from Georgia. Pair him with Tyler Smith at guard and be set for the next few years. Cowboys have two young tight ends with potential.

rags747

Reaction score
Parsons and Smith were BPA, no?

JBS

Reaction score
Smith was not bpa. And everybody knew they wanted him well in advance. The board leaked, I think Cine was rated higher, if I’m not mistaken. Maybe others too

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
They had Parsons as the highest rated player left on their board… but were prepared to take Horn or Surtain in front of him. When both were already gone, then yes they took their BPA.

But as I said above, they put players in tiers. If all three are in the same tier, they might not go strictly by BPA. Which is something that I agree with.

Had Micah been in a higher tier than the CB’s, they would have taken him above their targets, like they did with CeeDee Lamb over Chaisson.