Interesting Emmitt Smith Fact

T-RO

Reaction score
My history is fine. If Emmitt walked after 6 years, there is a strong chance that a contender would have signed him and he could have gone on to win another(s) Super Bowls. Money is always important, but Emmitt wanted football immortality and would have sought out a contender. Emmitt still had plenty left in his tank and the downturn of the team was because of our owner's ego and not Emmitt's "decreased" ability. The fallout would have been cataclysmic letting Emmitt walk and seeing him still crank out 1300yd seasons and winning Super Bowl(s) with another team.

You perfectly describe the silliness that keeps front offices and fans holding on.

We did hold on...not only to Emmitt but to other aging players. And results went from glory to gory. Team went into the toilet.

From 96-02 Dallas kept Emmitt...just as you advocate...and became one of the league’s worst teams.

Obviously there was a lot else wrong, but when you step back and look at it: #22 wasn’t pushing the needle up with any force at all.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
But still Doc, we’re talking a 15-year career, in the tough 90s NFL vs Brown and a 9 year career in a league deprived of a rich amount of talent commesarote with 90s ball, re:Brown vs Emmitt and the level of competition they faced. For me this a very large sticking point for those that feel Emmitt>Brown (in addition to career longevity)

Surely there’s some merit for you there, Jobber?

Perhaps, but my best guess is Brown could have played another 4 years at that same level. Smith wasn't Smith anymore after 6 years altho a good back. Perhaps Brown goes downhill fast. Who knows? If you want to measure Brown's career to Emmitt, you have to look at Smith's first 9 years. He doesn't measure up.

Brown is the only RB ever to avg 100 yds/game his entire career. He's also the only one to avg over 5ypc.....ever as well. I'm a huge Smith fan among others but no one measures up to Brown and I saw them both play.

Brown is the greatest RB ever and perhaps in the top three overall ever behind Rice and Otto Graham.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Perhaps, but my best guess is Brown could have played another 4 years at that same level. Smith wasn't Smith anymore after 6 years altho a good back. Perhaps Brown goes downhill fast. Who knows? If you want to measure Brown's career to Emmitt, you have to look at Smith's first 9 years. He doesn't measure up.

Brown is the only RB ever to avg 100 yds/game his entire career. He's also the only one to avg over 5ypc.....ever as well. I'm a huge Smith fan among others but no one measures up to Brown and I saw them both play.

Brown is the greatest RB ever and perhaps in the top three overall ever behind Rice and Otto Graham.
Always appreciate your feedback, Jobber. :star::starspin:

Verdict

Reaction score
Most of us know that running backs don’t age well. Six years of premium productivity is usually the best you can expect.

The one guy we think of as an exception is Emmitt. Damn, the guy played 15 seasons!

Out of curiosity I wanted to work up some numbers. How did Emmitt do after his first six years in comparison to the earlier part of his career?

1990-1995...4.5 yards per carry...First 6 seasons
1996-2004...3.9 yards per carry...Next 9 seasons

Hmmm....

We should have moved on from him before we did. It felt good to see him get the rushing record as a Cowboy, but it wasn't worth it in my opinion.

T-RO

Reaction score

If one is looking for a single season...and had good blockers...and I could get a guy in their prime...I might go Sanders... or Bo Jackson.

Herschel Walker’s best years were spent in the USFL...NFL fans never saw him at his best. Guy averaged 5.5 yards a carry in 1985. 2,411 yards on the season.

Sure he was facing USFL tacklers. He also had USFL blockers.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
You perfectly describe the silliness that keeps front offices and fans holding on.

We did hold on...not only to Emmitt but to other aging players. And results went from glory to gory. Team went into the toilet.

From 96-02 Dallas kept Emmitt...just as you advocate...and became one of the league’s worst teams.

Obviously there was a lot else wrong, but when you step back and look at it: #22 wasn’t pushing the needle up with any force at all.
If an RB that is stringing 1200 and 1300yd seasons, in year 10 he still posted 1400yds, is not helping your team win games then you have bigger problems than RB....... and we did. The problem wasn't holding on to an "aging" 1300yd RB, the problem was the FO. On a list of problems with those teams, Emmitt was near the bottom of that list.

T-RO

Reaction score
If an RB that is stringing 1200 and 1300yd seasons, in year 10 he still posted 1400yds, is not helping your team win games then you have bigger problems than RB....... and we did. The problem wasn't holding on to an "aging" 1300yd RB, the problem was the FO. On a list of problems with those teams, Emmitt was near the bottom of that list.

Yards per carry is the premium rushing stat.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, I would've kept Emmit if he wanted to stay, but that team needed to be torn down and rebuilt. Jerry's thinking has kept this franchise mired mostly in mediocrity or below.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yeah, I would've kept Emmit if he wanted to stay, but that team needed to be torn down and rebuilt. Jerry's thinking has kept this franchise mired mostly in mediocrity or below.
I was fine with keeping Emmitt till year 9-10, he was still running strong and finding another RB that could equal or surpass his production was no sure thing, especially considering the less than stellar drafting history during those post-Jimmy years, some brutal picks. Sherman Williams or Kavika Pittman anyone? :(

Those last couple years, Jerry just kept him around to sell tickets and countdown to the Rushing record.