Interesting Julius Jones news

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
YoungBuck;1251918 said:
We're paying him that much for one HR a year? I'm sorry, but Tyson Thompson can do that for us, and he comes at a much cheaper price.

First, groan... I didn't list all of them... Just a few that came to mind. :rolleyes:

Second, we aren't "paying him that much"

And third, while I wish Tyson Thompson were healthy right now and could get a few carries, the idea that Thompson could undoubtedly do just as well as Julius is absurd. You want to explain how you "know" that?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1251928 said:
Overall yards per carry isn't a particularly accurate way of looking at rushing success. If you rush for 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 and 44 yards, you're averaging a whopping 5.4 yards per carry -- but you actually had only one good run (assuming none of the others are short-yardage carries when only 1 or 2 yards were needed). Conversely, if you rush for 4, 5, 4, 4, 5, 4, 4, 5, 4 and -4 yards, you're averaging only 3.5 yards per carry, but you've had only one bad run, and you're most likely moving the chains very well.

Guess which type of runner Jones has been this season?
Right. You take away the outliers to get a better picture. That's why I took out the one run against New Orleans.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1251932 said:
First, groan... I didn't list all of them... Just a few that came to mind. :rolleyes:

And third, while I wish Tyson Thompson were healthy right now and could get a few carries, the idea that Thompson could undoubtedly do just as well as Julius is absurd. You want to explain how you "know" that?

most of these arguments are bordering on ridiculous, they basically amount to just, "get rid of Julius, and our problems are fixed, anyone but Julius could do it"

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1251934 said:
Right. You take away the outliers to get a better picture. That's why I took out the one run against New Orleans.

he still averaged 4 yards per carry

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score

What we're paying is opportunity cost. The opportunity to get better production outside of those homerun hits.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1251936 said:
he still averaged 4 yards per carry
In the last nine games he averaged 3.2 YPA.

Like I said in another thread, if he was performing like he did in the first 4-5 games, no one would be complaining. He's not. We are.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theogt;1251934 said:

But you're still just looking at overall YPC, which isn't a great measure of effectiveness.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1251941 said:
In the last nine games he averaged 3.2 YPA.

Like I said in another thread, if he was performing like he did in the first 4-5 games, no one would be complaining. He's not. We are.

oh, so Julius can't turn it around? I forgot, he's already reached his peak in his 3rd year

sorry

forgive me

don't hurt me

and what if the back we draft gets beat out by Thompson? glory be, somebody *** up

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1251943 said:
oh, so Julius can't turn it around? I forgot, he's already reached his peak in his 3rd year

sorry

forgive me

don't hurt me
He's had 3 years. How long are you willing to wait for him "get it"? Some people are waiting for Michael Vick to get it and this is his 6th season. I don't have that kind of patience.

YoungBuck

Reaction score

CLICK HERE

That's the video of Julia's run against the saints. Not a single person touched him, because if they grabed a shoe lace he would have fallen down like a sack of potatoes.

You can't tell me that Tyson Thompson with his speed couldn't run straight ahead through that huge hole.

Don't waste any time looking up all his long runs. He has 5 runs of 20+ this season, right behind him with 4 is Marion Barber. So it's not like we're getting anything specail from mr "home-run threat."

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1251946 said:
He's had 3 years. How long are you willing to wait for him "get it"? Some people are waiting for Michael Vick to get it and this is his 6th season. I don't have that kind of patience.

JJ is in a slump of sorts, but as JJ ran good earlier in the year, he can turn it around

now if he was 30 years old, with 9/10 years in the league, then I could see this being a problem that won't be corrected

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
As a baseball fan I believe in the theory that you sell a player when his value is at his highest. Depending on who's making the offer (Especially if it's a first round pick) I'd say you listen, doesn't mean you have to say yes.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Now there's some sound logic... No one touched him on that 77-yard run, so that proves anyone could have done it...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1251958 said:
JJ is in a slump of sorts, but as JJ ran good earlier in the year, he can turn it around

now if he was 30 years old, then I could see this being a problem that won't be corrected
Over the past 2 season he's only been not in a slump for about 7-8 games.

I would be more than happy if he comes out of the slump, but eventually we have to be willing to call a duck a duck.

ghst187

Reaction score
Personally, I believe that if TT improves on how he was running before he broke his ankle, he could step in and give us everything JJ was giving us and probably more. Seems like TT is every bit explosive as JJ given a crease and TT seems to run with just a hint more power IMO. TT probably isn't as good in pass blocking and I have no idea about pass catching....
but overall, I feel pretty confident in saying that TT can take the ball and blast into a pile for 3-4 yards per carry and he'll probably break at least one or two long ones per season.
Now to trade JJ away without picking up an upgrade somehow would be stupid for sure as we definitely need 2 or 3 decent runners. But if the opportunity came along, I think the question people have to ask themselves:
Do you believe that JJ gives us much more than a healthy TT?
This season has made me begin to think no.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1251966 said:

so rule out the 8 games in the 2nd half of his rookie year

nice

also nice to see that you gave up that pathetic argument of earlier, you just gained 10 points leaving that idiocy behind you

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
YoungBuck;1251957 said:
You can't tell me that Tyson Thompson with his speed couldn't run straight ahead through that huge hole.

There wasn't a hole straight ahead. Julius had to cut to his left right away, then cut back upfield. Even if Thompson had made the first cut (which would be a breakthrough for him), he almost certainly wouldn't have tried the second cut but would have tried to outrun the cornerback to the outside.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1251972 said:
There wasn't a hole straight ahead. Julius had to cut to his left right away, then cut back upfield. Even if Thompson had made the first cut (which would be a breakthrough for him), he almost certainly wouldn't have tried the second cut but would have tried to outrun the cornerback to the outside.
Agreed. Anyone have a clip of that run? TEK2000, inexplicably (;)), left out the Saints game when making highlights.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theogt;1251966 said:

No, this was only the second time in his career that he had a streak of at least four games of averaging less than 4.0 YPC each game. Even LaDainian Tomlinson has slumps like that every year (he's had slumps of five games, four games, four games and four games just in the past three seasons).