Interesting Michael Gallup quote

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And if we were to compare the situations between Gallup and Steele, how close do you believe we are to Steele being at 100%? 2024/25?
Stephen Jones said in March that Steele was ahead of schedule in his recovery, but I don't think the two situations are really comparable. Lots of receivers have trouble coming off ACL tears because their position is built around running as fast as possible, getting in and out of breaks, etc. With linemen, the main thing is healing up and re-strengthening the lower body so the knee doesn't give but there are also several healing factors that may differ from player to player.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
This should be a surprise to no one.
He was coming off a severe injury.
I don't know why anyone thought he would be fully recovered.
I didn't.
I knew it would take him a full year to get his groove back.
I expect the same for Tony Pollard.
Pollard didn't have an ACL though injury, does he?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Stephen Jones said in March that Steele was ahead of schedule in his recovery, but I don't think the two situations are really comparable. Lots of receivers have trouble coming off ACL tears because their position is built around running as fast as possible, getting in and out of breaks, etc. With linemen, the main thing is healing up and re-strengthening the lower body so the knee doesn't give but there are also several healing factors that may differ from player to player.
Steele didn't have surgery until December. Remember how we all marveled at Peterson coming back in 8 months and played lights out? A full year was, and is still to a large degree, the standard recovery time for an ACL injury. 8 months for Steele is still August, even if he was released by the doctors at 8 months he's still got to get in game shape and regain confidence in the knee.

He won't be ready to play by the season opener, in all likelihood. Personally I'm thinking he won't be back on the field until October at best. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening before mid-season....

DFWJC

Reaction score
and this is why we have some serious hope for our WR's....if he is back to form were going to be lethal
Have been scratching my head over why some seem to have written Gallop off because he wasn't 100% during year 1 after coming back from a nasty ACL injury
You'd think they had never seen the other 50 times this has happened and that in every case the player was never 100%

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
I think sometimes we fall victim to… these guys aren’t robots and they all don’t come back the same.

It seems incredibly likely he’ll play much closer to his pre ACL tear form next year. Especially with having Cooks to help on those 3 WR sets.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Steele didn't have surgery until December. Remember how we all marveled at Peterson coming back in 8 months and played lights out? A full year was, and is still to a large degree, the standard recovery time for an ACL injury. 8 months for Steele is still August, even if he was released by the doctors at 8 months he's still got to get in game shape and regain confidence in the knee.

He won't be ready to play by the season opener, in all likelihood. Personally I'm thinking he won't be back on the field until October at best. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening before mid-season....
Recovery varies some by position. A running back who tears an ACL isn't the same as a lineman who tears an ACL. That doesn't mean Steele will be ready, but there's a good chance of it compared to a skill position. I'm sure we'll be cautious with him during camp, but I'll be surprised if he isn't ready to go by the start of the regular season.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Recovery varies some by position. A running back who tears an ACL isn't the same as a lineman who tears an ACL. That doesn't mean Steele will be ready, but there's a good chance of it compared to a skill position. I'm sure we'll be cautious with him during camp, but I'll be surprised if he isn't ready to go by the start of the regular season.
So, the bet is on!

Season opener vs. October!

You're on!

:grin:

BossRhino

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone, including this team, expected Gallup to be the same last season coming off ACL surgery. Players often take a step back the first year.
Which is why NOBODY should be getting their hopes up about Tony Pollard this season. I know his injury wasn't an ACL but it WAS a serious injury nonetheless. I'm feeling uncertain about our RB room.

817Gill

Reaction score
Pollard just had a fracture that didn’t even require surgery. Literally, the surgeon said it’ll be fine just healing. That is light years away from an ACL surgery.

They did go in and do a little for his high ankle sprain but guys recover from high ankle sprains in the same season all the time.

The high ankle sprain is more troublesome than the fracture.

There is zero reason for Pollard to not be the same guy.
Injuries are not all the same. Context is important. Appreciate you providing it for many here.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
To think some posters were kicking him and Tolbert to the curve before the draft coz of their poor season last year. Tolbert was understandable somewhat but never understood them not seeing the impact the injury cost Gallup.

Oh, man .......Cook is the exact leadership this offense needs
I'm less concerned on Tolbert because I don't know what he is yet and it only involved a 3rd rounder. Gallup signed a long term deal and we are at the point now to where we wonder what Gallup is? Or I am anyway.

Kind of off based but it's like Eagles fans consistently referencing his "MVP" season in 2017 to justify how good he is. But then you look 6 years down the road and not only is that not his ceiling but that has been proven to be a fluke season and he's not a very good QB.

We gauge Gallup based on his 1k yard season he had...and we are years removed from that to where I'm asking what is he? Is he a #3? #2? I guess we will get more answers this year.

plasticman

Reaction score
It makes a lot of sense. There have been many times where a player may be recovered enough to play but it takes more than one season for them to return to their previous productivity.

The absolute best example of that is Michael Irvin.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone, including this team, expected Gallup to be the same last season coming off ACL surgery. Players often take a step back the first year. The team's poor planning at receiver was the problem last year, not Gallup.
Most,, sure, not all

AD had zero issues, also look at TB Bucs Godwin. Same injury, surgery same week, got hammy early game 1 but then had a great season. all players heal differently..Gallup wasnt right but ive seen other come back and be 100% first season back..

lkelly

Reaction score
4495ffe9-2c4a-44bd-92b1-71d18374cfa0_text.gif

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
anytime anyone is coming off a leg injury I simply do not trust them the 1st year. Be it Dak, Gallup, or now Pollard untill they show in real games they are back to normal.