Interesting QB cap fact I heard this morning

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Money isn’t the reason why this team doesn’t win. Dallas was by and large the better team than SF last Sunday. They didn’t lose bc their roster is inferior. They lost bc their qb sucked. Not bc how much money he makes. And before people chime in; we’ve seen Dak on a rookie deal and this dumb front office did nothing close to going all in. So let’s not even go down that road.
You nailed it.

And I'm saying this after supporting Dak the whole season, after looking at the tape from last year and seeing that he wasn't the reason we lost to the 9ers in 2021. But he was definitely the reason we lost this game.

Dak can't handle the pressure, didn't handle the pressure, and looked completely different from one week to the next, from the Bucs to the 9ers.

You can't have that at the QB position and win. You need consistency.

The other part of the problem, that fails to get mentioned in the same sentence, is Zeke is also taking up a considerable amount of cap space.

Given all that the team accomplished, with these two taking up so much of the cap, I'd say everyone else did a pretty good job, including Kellen Moore. It's not like he had a whole lot to work with.

erod

Reaction score
I think the point here is that it might be best to win with QBs on their rookie contracts, or with mid-tier veterans in budget salaries that don't eat up the chance to build a stacked roster.

It bears watching as QB contracts continue to skyrocket.

The only high-paid QB left in the playoffs is Mahomes.

And most of the highest paid QBs didn't make the playoffs this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Contract and Cap issues are on our dysfunctional ownership.

They are the ones who have attempted to hype Prescott as Elite and worthy of what they mismanaged .

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Nah...I will put my track record of everything Cowboys against literally anyone on this board.

The sun shines on a dog's butt at least once a day bud.
We can make the best again for next season if you like.

I get Mahomes and you get Dak.

Let's test that sun shine theory out but put something on the line this time instead of just bragging right.

Ken

Reaction score
We can make the best again for next season if you like.

I get Mahomes and you get Dak.

Let's test that sun shine theory out but put something on the line this time instead of just bragging right.
Again...you are slipping back into thinking you won a bet that was null and void.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the point here is that it might be best to win with QBs on their rookie contracts, or with mid-tier veterans in budget salaries that don't eat up the chance to build a stacked roster.

It bears watching as QB contracts continue to skyrocket.

The only high-paid QB left in the playoffs is Mahomes.

And most of the highest paid QBs didn't make the playoffs this year.
I thought that had already been established that it’s much more likely to win a championship while on your QB’s rookie contract.

I think the bigger issue here many fans are struggling with is that these top paid QB’s help maintain a more consistent contender and easier to build around . It doesn’t necessarily translate into championships .

Which I’d argue isn’t the #1 goal in the NFL. It’s more about remaining a top contender . And these popular QB keep fans engulfed .

Much like Jethro Jone$ has admitted that maintaining “ interest and relativity” is top priority. Obviously fans are more interested in wining championships .

And while that’s the ultimate goal for NFL franchises . Maintaining relativity by being a consistent contender is of the utmost importance . It sells and much easier to hype interest from fans .

starfan1

Reaction score
Yeah when the QB throws 2 bad INT's which cost the team the game in spite of a great defensive effort it's everyone else's fault. Holy enabling world we live in. lol
Yes those ints were huge at least 6 pts how many did that dropped int cost us or that whiff on kittle. Or maybe the distrust the coaching had in the kicker which forced them to pivot in a spot that normally would be a FG attempt and ended up costing us our number 1 offensive threat.

its never just 1 thing

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Again...you are slipping back into thinking you won a bet that was null and void.
Come on, Ken.

Show us how much you really believe.

I get Mahomes and you get Dak for next season and the loser leaves town.

Let's see if that sun shine theory of yours is true or not, shall we?

Deal?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Courtesy of the Ticket...

The highest QB cap percentage to ever win a Super Bowl was Tom Brady at 12%.

The highest percentage to ever make it to the Super Bowl was Peyton Manning at 18%.

Dak makes 22% of our cap.
this year? his cap hit was about $20M, that would be 10% or so.

next year (2023) his cap hit is $49. so perhaps it will get reworked to reduce. not sure.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Just a fact…..having 3 QBs on rookie contracts in the final 4 this season is a complete anomaly in the NFL.
Look back at the past 4-5 years, there’s never been more than 1 Qb on his rookie contract in the final 4, and those have been very special QBs, not guys like Hurts and Purdy.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
restructure = extension...
Yup

Idk if I would. I'm not going to say Dak is trash, because the guy has so much more good play than bad. Now I'll say he has a tendency to make very stupid throws from time to time. What qb doesn't.

I can see Dallas drafting a qb this yr in the same range or even round 3. Give me hooker in round 3 or 4. He probably doesn't Play in 2023 with his acl, but he wouldn't play anyways with dak in Dallas in 2023. But if he has the same end to the yr as he did this yr then you can release him as a june 1 designate. And the dead money would be under 20. But you would have his replacement on a rookie deal. He'd have a yr under his belt. Not playing but a yr of studying, getting good physically.

kskboys

Reaction score
Money isn’t the reason why this team doesn’t win. Dallas was by and large the better team than SF last Sunday. They didn’t lose bc their roster is inferior. They lost bc their qb sucked. Not bc how much money he makes. And before people chime in; we’ve seen Dak on a rookie deal and this dumb front office did nothing close to going all in. So let’s not even go down that road.
Hey, give Jerry a break. He was in the process of learning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys top 5 cap hits in 2023 are:
Dak - $49.13 million
DLaw: - $26 million
Zack Martin - $19.9 million
Tyron Smith - $17.6 million
Zeke - $16.7 million

That's $129.3 million on 5 players with a projected $220 million CAP. Of those 5 only 1 is earning his salary, Zack Martin. Maybe DLaw too considering he was playing with a broken bone in his foot all season. But $26 million is still a lot for a DE with only 6.5 sacks.

I hate to say it but the Cowboys may be forced to move one from Zeke and Tyron. Designating both as June 1 cuts saves them $24 million. Cutting them sooner saves $14 million. Tyron is due over $13 million in salary. Zeke is due $10.9 million. The rest of their CAP hits is pro-rated bonuses that they Cowboys cannot avoid.

I think Jerry will extend Dak and restructure his deal to lower his CAP. Dak is due $31 million in salary which can be converted to bonus and spread out over the remaining 3 years of his deal - and further if Jerry and Dak agree to an extension. I think Zeke is sadly done in Dallas unless he is willing to work for league minimum and play second fiddle to whoever the RB1 will be. Tyron can still play but not at the $ level he is due. First, he is misses games every year. second, when he plays he is not the same guy he was 5 years ago. The Cowboys OL was better run blocking when Steele was playing RT. On the other hand, what will Steele look like when he returns.

Honestly, Martin and Tyron deserved the deals they got when they got them. Dak, DLaw and Zeke were never worth the amount Jerry gave them. But get ready because he is going to do the same thing With CeeDee and Diggs.

starfan1

Reaction score
Courtesy of the Ticket...

The highest QB cap percentage to ever win a Super Bowl was Tom Brady at 12%.

The highest percentage to ever make it to the Super Bowl was Peyton Manning at 18%.

Dak makes 22% of our cap.
Parsons approves of the message. There is fan forum division lol

Big_D

Reaction score
Here comes the restructure so they’ll be stuck for another 5 years. Keep the list of excuses handy!