Interesting stat- Garrett’s record after a bye

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’ve heard many times over the years, that one way to judge your team’s head coach is to look at how well their teams play after a bye week or after having a bye week in the playoffs. Last night as I watched the game, I thought it would be interesting to see how well Garrett’s teams have ranked against other teams in those situations.

2011 was the first full year of Jason Garrett as Head Coach of the Cowboys. Now in his ninth full season as HC, Garrett’s record after a bye is a mediocre 5-4, almost mirroring his overall winning %. The one time in his tenure his team earned a #1 playoff seed, earning a coveted bye in the playoffs, the team lost at home after the bye. That makes his total “after a bye” record as 5-5.

How does that compare with other NFL teams after a bye? Garrett’s teams rank 18th of 32 in post bye matchups since he started in 2011.

Here is a link if you want to view these rankings yourself: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trend/win_trends/is_after_bye?range=yearly_since_2011

Comparing Garrett to some other Coach’s post bye records: (Some teams haven’t had their bye yet this year- others like NE have had multiple byes in the playoffs- thus the number discrepancy)
  • Bill Belechick 13-3
  • John Harbaugh 8-2
  • Sean Payton 7-2
  • Pete Carroll 7-3
  • Mike Tomlin 6-4
It’s no coincidence that in the last decade plus, these guys have all won a Super Bowl or in BB’s case, several SBs.
ok, your meaningless complaining aside. any of the above coaches available? otherwise why post? what about the other 88 coaches not in the list above who have been in the league.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s always nice to see the circumstances where regular season wins and losses actually matter around here. And to take a little break from complaining about this win to complain about what happens when we don’t win after a bye. Feels good, man.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson and Parcells have both been coaches under Jerry. Your laughable comment once again gets blown out of the water.
And why have they been the only two?
Please tell us in your own words why no others.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And why have they been the only two?
Please tell us in your own words why no others.
Your claimed it’s not possible. It’s happened twice. Your dead wrong. End of story. Changing the subject won’t help you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your claimed it’s not possible. It’s happened twice. Your dead wrong. End of story. Changing the subject won’t help you.
We all know Jerry hired two real HC’s and why he hasn’t otherwise. It is relative and why we have been stuck with puppets.

Nothing is stopping Jerry from hiring great HC’s again but his frikin selfish ego.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We have an owner who isn’t doing everything within his power to win by refusing to bring in great HC’s and getting the hell out of the way.

Why not be useful and attack his butt? The root of our evil. Not one of his puppets .

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We all know Jerry hired two real HC’s and why he hasn’t otherwise. It is relative and why we have been stuck with puppets.

Nothing is stopping Jerry from hiring great HC’s again but his frikin selfish ego.

You had forgotten apparently.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We have an owner who isn’t doing everything within his power to win by refusing to bring in great HC’s and getting the hell out of the way.

Why not be useful and attack his butt? The root of our evil. Not one of his puppets .

Why constantly defend a middling coach?

kwcool619

Reaction score
I’ve heard many times over the years, that one way to judge your team’s head coach is to look at how well their teams play after a bye week or after having a bye week in the playoffs. Last night as I watched the game, I thought it would be interesting to see how well Garrett’s teams have ranked against other teams in those situations.

2011 was the first full year of Jason Garrett as Head Coach of the Cowboys. Now in his ninth full season as HC, Garrett’s record after a bye is a mediocre 5-4, almost mirroring his overall winning %. The one time in his tenure his team earned a #1 playoff seed, earning a coveted bye in the playoffs, the team lost at home after the bye. That makes his total “after a bye” record as 5-5.

How does that compare with other NFL teams after a bye? Garrett’s teams rank 18th of 32 in post bye matchups since he started in 2011.

Here is a link if you want to view these rankings yourself: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trend/win_trends/is_after_bye?range=yearly_since_2011

Comparing Garrett to some other Coach’s post bye records: (Some teams haven’t had their bye yet this year- others like NE have had multiple byes in the playoffs- thus the number discrepancy)
  • Bill Belechick 13-3
  • John Harbaugh 8-2
  • Sean Payton 7-2
  • Pete Carroll 7-3
  • Mike Tomlin 6-4
It’s no coincidence that in the last decade plus, these guys have all won a Super Bowl or in BB’s case, several SBs.

Awesome post Bob. You always keep it 100.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You had forgotten apparently.
No, I hadn’t forgotten. I’ve moved on .

You sound like the fools who still think Jerry is a great GM cause he’s won 3 Rings. Those are old facts which don’t apply to current situation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
YOU are the answer to the question that you ask.
Why don’t you attacker’s place your target on the real culprit of Cowboys Football?

Please tell us all why Jerry is hiring Puppets instead of legit HC and staff?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No, I hadn’t forgotten. I’ve moved on .

You sound like the fools who still think Jerry is a great GM cause he’s won 3 Rings. Those are old facts which don’t apply to current situation.

YOu sound like a guy that had his silly comment blow up in his face and is now angry and trying to change the subject and hurling insults.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
YOu sound like a guy that had his silly comment blow up in his face and is now angry and trying to change the subject and hurling insults.
Like anyone who’s followed me on these forums the last 12 years don’t realize I know why Jerry hired two real HC’s but hadn’t since.

You can’t even admit Jerry is the one preventing a real HC to come in.