Interesting Tony Romo nugget

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I know Denver didn't want to trade but for sure wanted him there once he was dropped. Not sure about Houston. Would've been an amazing match, but it worked out for them anyway when they got Watson in the draft.

But the point was that his agent made it known that there were about 3-5 teams that he would even consider...and the rest need not apply.
So there was no reason at all for any of the other teams to make an offer, because it was not happening.

Then CBS through out the best offer in about 20 year to leave altogether....

My point exactly .......what we have remembered Romo was emotionally beat. He was rejected by the only team he'd ever played for and Jerry froze him during free agency hoping to get a draft pick but NO team made an offer. Like I said earlier, the Elway made his interest known but also said he WOULD NOT give a draft pick. So it wasn't just Cowboys who lost confidence in his health, pretty much the NFL. CBS comes alone with not just a broadcasting offer but an offer to be NUMBER 1 or lead dog. Since broadcasting was something he was probably already considering after playing couple more years, a chance as the top dog is an easy decision over Bronco team that doesn't think enough to give up a draft pick.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Do you have any links substantiating these statements? Everything I’ve looked up only entails them wanting to go younger with no interest if he hit free agency.

Also, the cowboys released Romo or were releasing him if I remember giving him free reigns to go anywhere. They wouldn’t force a trade with their franchise QB of 11 years that’s bad business and would make future free agents shy of signing with dallas if they treated their marquee/franchise players that way.

Elway interest in Romo if he became a free agent (NO DRAFT PICK ) is well documented........

DFWJC

Reaction score
My point exactly .......what we have remembered Romo was emotionally beat. He was rejected by the only team he'd ever played for and Jerry froze him during free agency hoping to get a draft pick but NO team made an offer. Like I said earlier, the Elway made his interest known but also said he WOULD NOT give a draft pick. So it wasn't just Cowboys who lost confidence in his health, pretty much the NFL. CBS comes alone with not just a broadcasting offer but an offer to be NUMBER 1 or lead dog. Since broadcasting was something he was probably already considering after playing couple more years, a chance as the top dog is an easy decision over Bronco team that doesn't think enough to give up a draft pick.
Well, it's all old news now and mostly speculation.
I told people all along way back then that Jerry would only trade Romo to where Romo would agree to play, so that eliminated about 27-28 teams from even bothering.
He wanted Romo to stay on as a mentor and maybe even rescue the team if things went south, but Romo wanted the honest chance to fairly compete for the starting job...understandably.

People said we should just find the best offer, but that was completely naïve for several obvious reasons.

Nobody will ever know how many (or few) teams would've made trade offers or would've wanted him after he was dropped, because it was made perfectly clear that
1) his top choice was by far to be able to compete fairly in Dallas,
2) and then it was a competition between playing for a contender or going to a network as his 2nd choice.
3) There was no 3rd choice...like playing for a non contender...as he wrote that off 100%

Option 1 was out of his control
It came down to Option 2 and he got the offer of a lifetime and took it.

visionary

Reaction score
Romo should have went to Denver or Houston and won the Super Bowl last year.

I'm in the minority but I have always thought Romo was a good QB not a great QB
Great QBs relish the stage and want to be put in positions to win the big one
Romo was never that
He was content to be "good"
His initial quote of "if this is the worst thing that happens then I'll have had a pretty good life" was the real window into his personality
He way 'over achieved ' from his own expectations and that was good enough for him
We fans just were never willing to see that and he was smart enough to never let that show again

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well, it's all old news now and mostly speculation.
I told people all along way back then that Jerry would only trade Romo to where Romo would agree to play, so that eliminated about 27-28 teams from even bothering.
He wanted Romo to stay on as a mentor and maybe even rescue the team if things went south, but Romo wanted the honest chance to fairly compete for the starting job...understandably.

People said we should just find the best offer, but that was completely naïve for several obvious reasons.

Nobody will ever know how many (or few) teams would've made trade offers or would've wanted him after he was dropped, because it was made perfectly clear that
1) his top choice was by far to be able to compete fairly in Dallas,
2) and then it was a competition between playing for a contender or going to a network as his 2nd choice.
3) There was no 3rd choice...like playing for a non contender...as he wrote that off 100%

+1 .....remember he was looking for a contender with strong defense and a solid running game. Why Broncos and Texans were mentioned most......

DFWJC

Reaction score
+1 .....remember he was looking for a contender with strong defense and a solid running game. Why Broncos and Texans were mentioned most......
Honestly, I think it was either them or take a network job.
Miami was mentioned behind the scenes, but all speculation. Pretty much Houston, Denver, or CBS

bsbellomy

Reaction score
His body just out on him......remember he walked away from two offers from Texans and Bronco to continue playing. Truth is his health had reached a concern of whether or not he could get through a game, let alone a season.

I had heard a clip one time where he said that if he couldn't win a SB with the Cowboys it wouldn't be that special to him. I'm sure that was central to his decision as well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo was never that

His initial quote of "if this is the worst thing that happens then I'll have had a pretty good life" was the real window into his personality
He way 'over achieved ' from his own expectations and that was good enough for him
We fans just were never willing to see that and he was smart enough to never let that show again
I don't buy that at all, not one tiny bit.
But you're entitled to your opinion, of course. I think he was obsessed wit getting better and never satisfied with "good"
We can agree to disagree, V.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yep back in 2007 we needed to go in for the kill. You just don't know how many chances you're going to have and Tony didn't have many more.

As much as I love Romo, I'm not sure he was developed enough in 2007 to lead the team to a Super Bowl title. He's not the reason we didn't make it, but going back and watching him then compared to say 2014, he was definitely a developing QB who was a little too loose with the ball.

These are just my thoughts because it's hard to argue that a team shouldn't be able to win it all with a QB who completes 64 percent of his passes, throw 36 touchdowns and has a 97.4 rating.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
It was no secret Elway had legit interest in signing Romo but said he would only sign him as a free agent. He flat out refused to give Cowboys a draft pick, even a 7th rounder. Made no secret Romo would certainly be a free agent priority once/if he's released by Cowboys.

Yeah that really worked out well for him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The shootout with Denver was one of the most heartbreaking losses to see. Romo was doing everything he could, but we couldn't stop anything.
Denver never punted.
I think we only punted once. It was insane
We should've won that home game by 20+ points minimum with that offensive performance.

Looking forward to this year though...and pulling for Dak.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Romo was never that

I love Romo but agree he didn't have that killer instinct.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Tony evolved into a very good QB . I think there was a sweet spot somewhere after he got his mind off dating high profile girls and his back started giving out but Jerry the team and Tony were not quite able to get it done in that short window .

He needed to finish the evolution and play within his physical limitations , that means learn to throw the ball away and Dak would still be on the bench learning while he would be competing for a championship.

visionary

Reaction score
I don't buy that at all, not one tiny bit.
But you're entitled to your opinion, of course. I think he was obsessed wit getting better and never satisfied with "good"
We can agree to disagree, V.

Agree to disagree
I was a fan of Romo
He was the only thing keeping this thing afloat for years (along with Witten and Lee) but he wasn't winning us the big one unfortunately