Interesting Tony Romo nugget

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the key was CBS offering him the #1 broadcasting job. In fact, seem to remember him mentioning that was an opportunity not afforded to many former players. It was just too good to pass.......
It was definitely a factor but I would not define it as THE key. If any one factor can be quantified as THE key, it would be the front office’s decision essentially cutting him midseason. That would have been emotionally trying for any human being but it also gave him a lot of time to reflect upon how he would move forward resolutely from that point.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It was definitely a factor but I would not define it as THE key. If any one factor can be quantified as THE key, it would be the front office’s decision essentially cutting him midseason. That would have been emotionally trying for any human being but it also gave him a lot of time to reflect upon how he would move forward resolutely from that point.

The question would he have continued playing if CBS made no offer? I think he would have def considered it. What else would he have done? Bringing him back in 2017 to compete with Dak was not an option. His career as a Cowboy was over.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
they asked Romo on tv about his back and he stated in an almost pissed off tone, "the back is fine"..........

Proof

Reaction score
Yea but when get close one year......you have to go for the kill the next one. NOT waste time rebuilding units with bottom feeders like we've done with RB unit ( 2015), OL (2017) and now WRs.

This is what drives me crazy. The team does well and the FO believes they’ve cracked the code. Instead of going for the kill they pay themselves on the back

Rayman70

Reaction score
Turn the page guys. He aint coming through those doors,unless its as a reporter. Dak was rated the most accurate passer in his ROOKIE YEAR,second only to Brady!!! Last year was a cluster bleep. That said, we were 1 scant win away from getting into the tournament. Dak is just fine.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I thought the only real offer Romo had last year was from the Jets? Thought the Broncos were considering at first but then wanted to get younger t the position
They were the only team....revisionist history here.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is what drives me crazy. The team does well and the FO believes they’ve cracked the code. Instead of going for the kill they pay themselves on the back

Exactly....not realizing it takes your BEST coaching/ GM job going for a Super Bowl following an excellent season of being this close. Excellent example........god I hate saying this, but how the Eagles treated their offseason. Like the Super Bowl never happen......

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
they asked Romo on tv about his back and he stated in an almost pissed off tone, "the back is fine"..........

He said that the last 3-4 years but still required WEEKLY treatment and when he didn't get it, his game results were obvious.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Romo simply knew his body was shot, and that along with Dak taking the starting job for good made it easy to retire. He went down in game 2 of the 2015 campaign, and on the very first hit he took in preseason 2016. No way he was going to make it through a 16 game season with the Broncos or Texans.

I'll agree that 2009-2013 is perhaps the Cowboys' biggest squandered opportunity this side of '96. Romo proved in 2014 that he could play MVP level football (wall of death OL, Murray, Dez at full speed), but we peed away those years whiffing on expensive skill players for him while not giving him the freaking blockers he needed way more than another WR. Wade's defense declined rapidly, and then the Rob Ryan debacle set that unit back years. There was nothing freaking left but Sean Lee by 2013.

Had we had started treating personnel in 2008 like we've been doing with Will McClay - staying put in the draft and taking what comes to us vs "trader Jerry" getting screwed moving up or back, letting Murray walk vs handing MB3 a 7 year deal, hardballing Seattle with ET vs forking over a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams - we could have been making annual runs in the NFC. But I think Jerry had to waste Romo's career to figure that out.

Last edited:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Loved watching Romo but I also know he played 5 games out of 32 in his last 2 seasons can he still play yes can he take the pounding? NO

That's a fair statement but it's also fair to say that he was able to play in at least 10 more games his last season but the team decided to go in another direction

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question would he have continued playing if CBS made no offer? I think he would have def considered it. What else would he have done? Bringing him back in 2017 to compete with Dak was not an option. His career as a Cowboy was over.
I disagree but the basis of my disagreement is based entirely upon how I ‘think’ Romo thinks. I agree money is a factor but do not think it was an overwhelming compulsion since Romo was already extremely wealthy at that point—so ‘necessary income through football’ was a minimal consideration.

Eliminating need or want for money moves his personal evaluation towards internal desire. We have Tony Romo, an undrafted and virtually unknown free agent work for several years to get an opportunity to compete for the starting job. The opportunity presented itself. He claimed it and did not lose his reward for over a decade. He was compensated beyond his wildest dreams. He had full unwavering support of his employer. His fame was directly associated with arguably the most famous sports franchise on Earth.

On the flip side, he (for lack of a better word) endured enormous criticism, both warranted and unwarranted. Also, his career was sidetracked by untimely injuries.

Combining all of these elements along with an extreme passion for the game (no one can forget that bawling scene in Seattle) makes me wonder how much inner desire was left to take to another team? I think Dallas fueled him. So I guess I would like to know exactly when CBS originally approached him or when Romo approached CBS with the idea of him becoming a game analyst. In my opinion, Romo had made up his mind to not continue his career when he made The Announcement in November 2016. I believe the front office’s decision completely drained his football competitive bank. He was spent. Done. And I think CBS (or him) capitalized on what happened after the fact.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Yea but when get close one year......you have to go for the kill the next one. NOT waste time rebuilding units with bottom feeders like we've done with RB unit ( 2015), OL (2017) and now WRs.

The RB wasn't the problem in 2015.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
That is a true statement.

For real. McNabb got a lot of hate because Philly is a hateful place and he never took his (often loaded) teams over the top, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a damn good quarterback. And with more evidence in KC, I think the "stacked team that doesn't go all the way" is more of an Andy Reid thing than a Donovan McNabb thing.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The RB wasn't the problem in 2015.

Joe Randell wasn't a problem?????? D McFadden scared no one......I know about his YPC average. FO placed all their marbles in Randell and fail to draft/sign a decent replacement for Murray. Instead, relying on the silly any running back can run behind this line theme.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Loved watching Romo but I also know he played 5 games out of 32 in his last 2 seasons can he still play yes can he take the pounding? NO

He was not injured all of those game. And the number of games is irrelevant. It was just two broken bones. Sometimes a broken bone means one missed game (or none), sometimes it's 8+ missed. Just because the location is in a place that requires a longer absence does not mean a player is less able to take hits.

He had 4 broken bones in 2008-2011. Were you saying he couldn't take a pounding then? He had 2 broken bones in 2011 alone but missed zero games. Two broken bones in 2011, two broken bones in 2015/2016. It was the location that made the difference in games missed.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
It was no secret Elway had legit interest in signing Romo but said he would only sign him as a free agent. He flat out refused to give Cowboys a draft pick, even a 7th rounder. Made no secret Romo would certainly be a free agent priority once/if he's released by Cowboys.

Do you have any links substantiating these statements? Everything I’ve looked up only entails them wanting to go younger with no interest if he hit free agency.

Also, the cowboys released Romo or were releasing him if I remember giving him free reigns to go anywhere. They wouldn’t force a trade with their franchise QB of 11 years that’s bad business and would make future free agents shy of signing with dallas if they treated their marquee/franchise players that way.

DFWJC

Reaction score
His body just out on him......remember he walked away from two offers from Texans and Bronco to continue playing. Truth is his health had reached a concern of whether or not he could get through a game, let alone a season.

I know Denver didn't want to trade but for sure wanted him there once he was dropped. Not sure about Houston. Would've been an amazing match, but it worked out for them anyway when they got Watson in the draft.

But the point was that his agent made it known that there were about 3-5 teams that he would even consider...and the rest need not apply.
So there was no reason at all for any of the other teams to make an offer, because it was not happening.

Then CBS threw out the best offer in about 20 year to leave altogether....

Last edited: