Interesting Tony Romo nugget

Sydla

Reaction score
Joe Randell wasn't a problem?????? D McFadden scared no one......I know about his YPC average. FO placed all their marbles in Randell and fail to draft/sign a decent replacement for Murray. Instead, relying on the silly any running back can run behind this line theme.

If you think the RB was the bigger problem than who was playing QB for us in 2015, then I guess there is nothing further to discuss.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He (Jerry) wanted Romo to stay on as a mentor and maybe even rescue the team if things went south, but Romo wanted the honest chance to fairly compete for the starting job...understandably.
You are probably correct about Jones' wishes but that would only prove he was as impractical as some of his franchise's fans if true.

kskboys

Reaction score
Tony evolved into a very good QB . I think there was a sweet spot somewhere after he got his mind off dating high profile girls and his back started giving out but Jerry the team and Tony were not quite able to get it done in that short window .

He needed to finish the evolution and play within his physical limitations , that means learn to throw the ball away and Dak would still be on the bench learning while he would be competing for a championship.
You can't throw the ball away if you have no D.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Joe Randell wasn't a problem?????? D McFadden scared no one......I know about his YPC average. FO placed all their marbles in Randell and fail to draft/sign a decent replacement for Murray. Instead, relying on the silly any running back can run behind this line theme.
Did Weeden and Cassel with TWill as the #1 receiver scare anyone?

kskboys

Reaction score
If you think the RB was the bigger problem than who was playing QB for us in 2015, then I guess there is nothing further to discuss.
I'd rather not pick between the two. We went into the season w/ crapp for backup QB and no starting RB. And a system that was built around the QB. It was very poor planning altogether.

JustChip

Reaction score
As much as I love Romo, I'm not sure he was developed enough in 2007 to lead the team to a Super Bowl title. He's not the reason we didn't make it, but going back and watching him then compared to say 2014, he was definitely a developing QB who was a little too loose with the ball.

These are just my thoughts because it's hard to argue that a team shouldn't be able to win it all with a QB who completes 64 percent of his passes, throw 36 touchdowns and has a 97.4 rating.
And that's the most salient point of this clip. That 10-12 years of experience make a world of difference. He specifically mentioned a blitz package by the Eagles' Jim Johnson in 2006 and said (paraphrasing), uh-uh, you ain't fooling me again on that. That's what makes much of this criticism of Dak so ridiculous, or any young QB for that matter.

I saw a number of other clips from this interview and they were all really good nuggets.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Never said it was a BIGGER problem......it was a problem FO neglected

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd rather not pick between the two. We went into the season w/ crapp for backup QB and no starting RB. And a system that was built around the QB. It was very poor planning altogether.

The biggest issue with the 2015 was the QB, not the running back. McFadden, while not the greatest, finished Top 10 in rushing yards, Top 15 in yards per carry and despite people saying otherwise, was pretty effective in short yardage situations............... and did all that with getting squat from the QB position. The Cowboys finished 30th in QB rating that years.

In other words, that team would not have been nearly as bad if Romo had not gotten hurt. And with Romo, McFadden probably would have also had a better year than he did as well.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
His body just out on him......remember he walked away from two offers from Texans and Bronco to continue playing. Truth is his health had reached a concern of whether or not he could get through a game, let alone a season.
He was healthy enough to play two years ago. He wanted to play. He gave us a better chance to win in 2016. We walked away from him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Did Weeden and Cassel with TWill as the #1 receiver scare anyone?

Miss the point .......my original post stated in 2015 rather than replacing DeMarco Murray with a quality back, FO put their marbles in Joe Randell and the any RB can run behind this line theme. Just like they toyed with the OL unit last year bottom feeders and WR this year. A poster suggested RB was not a problem in 2015. You read my response...... nothing to team problems in general, only the RB issue.

I actually agree backup QB was a huge problem but that wasn't my point.

Sydla

Reaction score
Miss the point .......my original post stated in 2015 rather than replacing DeMarco Murray with a quality back, FO put their marbles in Joe Randell and the any RB can run behind this line theme. Just like they toyed with the OL unit last year bottom feeders and WR this year. A poster suggested RB was not a problem in 2015. You read my response...... nothing to team problems in general, only the RB issue.

I actually agree backup QB was a huge problem but that wasn't my point.

But your point is essentially if they had gotten good QB play they would not have been good because the RB was bad.

I think that's highly debatable when you look at the stats. McFadden, in limited games mind you, was very effective and likely if he had Romo as his QB in 2015, he would have been more than sufficient at TB.

I might buy the argument if the Cowboys TBs had performed dreadful in 2015, but McFadden most definitely did not.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And that's the most salient point of this clip. That 10-12 years of experience make a world of difference. He specifically mentioned a blitz package by the Eagles' Jim Johnson in 2006 and said (paraphrasing), uh-uh, you ain't fooling me again on that. That's what makes much of this criticism of Dak so ridiculous, or any young QB for that matter.

I saw a number of other clips from this interview and they were all really good nuggets.

We want immediate results, and we got so many good ones from Dak as a rookie that he was blasted for having an OK second year. All I want to see from him is progress. Expecting him to play like a seasoned vet is expecting too much.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was healthy enough to play two years ago. He wanted to play. He gave us a better chance to win in 2016. We walked away from him.
'Walked away' is a polite way of saying what actually happened. What actually transpired was more along the lines of the front office running away giggling hysterically while chanting, "This rookie is sensational! See ya chump! A rookie will lead us to a Super Bowl! Shaddup! I know it has never happened before! A rookie will lead us to a Super Bowl!!!"

And the front office was far (understatement) from solely sharing that mutual perspective and expectation.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We want immediate results, and we got so many good ones from Dak as a rookie that he was blasted for having an OK second year. All I want to see from him is progress. Expecting him to play like a seasoned vet is expecting too much.
That was the expectation of the front office and some fans prior to the 2016 playoffs, so it is understatedly conceivable the same parties held onto the same perspective going into last season.

JustChip

Reaction score
Perfectly said. In some ways, 2016 was the worst thing that could have happened. It set unrealistically high expectations, both for Dak and the team. It really did set the team up for the struggles in 2017. Zeke has probably never experienced the trials and difficulties he did in 2017 after excelling beyond reasonable expectation is 2016. Dak struggled last year under the significant pressure he was under in the 2nd half and that's Tony's point. Dak will handle it better this year because he's seen it. He'll probably struggle with new, unseen things, but it's about progressing.