iPhone 4

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3448707 said:
I build infrastructure for financial trading platforms. (like E-trade, Ameritrade, but for a different company) You're right, I do not program for a living (though I can and did at one time) I DO on the other hand know all about operating systems, software versions and Java. I have to, because I have to make them work. Not "just work" they have to be absolutely rock solid.

You can make them work because an engineer told you how to make it work.

I DO also know about fragmentation for the very same reason. Something you've already made you don't have a complete grasp on. Just a buzz word you hear Steve Jobs say.

It's quite obvious you have no clue what I was trying to tell you.

If you were a software engineer you'd understand exactly what I'm saying.

I already told you several things better, but you just keep acting like a 6 year old screaming the same thing over and over making it pointless to keep responding. I get more coherent responses from my dog. Next you're going to start screaming "I know you are, but what am I!"

No, what you did was try to dazzle me by cut and pasting crap you googled up.

I'll pass. /ignored

Dust the sand out of you va-jay-jay and have a meaningful discussion.

You can be an Apple hater all you want. I don't really care. But, when called out and asked to explain yourself, you offer jibberish.

You haven't told me crap.

And now, you're going to say I'm acting childish and run away.

:lmao:

kapolani

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3448714 said:
The first guy was an "Architect" and he told me straight up he couldn't ask me any in depth technical questions as he was more high level, so the interview was mostly about Design Patterns, Auditing/Logging, Software Optimization, Creation of Artifacts/Documentation etc etc.

Exactly.

And then they go to the engineers and leave it to us to figure it out and make it work.

I didn't mean to belittle anyone's occupation. But, trying to be cute and take a stab at me with some VB bullcrap...

Meh...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
http://img714.*************/img714/7327/dailypicdump44564024.jpg

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;3448285 said:
Either you are hell bent bias or you are not actually looking at the iPhone's competitors. The iPhone 4 is not way ahead of everything else. The iPhone UI IMO while very nice isn't as good as Androids for the pure and simple fact that Androids is far more customizable and feature packed. With the release of Android 2.2, several of the gaps where Android is clearly better than the iPhone, become even more glaring.

Of course there are areas where the iPhone is better than Android, but it is in no way "way ahead".

One thing that I do love about the iPhone 4 is the new display. That is a thing of beauty and is better than my Nexus One. Although, the Nexus One display is very nice also. It's clear and very sharp.

kapolani;3448590 said:
http://img202.*************/img202/7988/1239883733angryvideogam.gif
How does having X versions of Android and Y different screen resolutions and Z different touch/multi touch interfaces help programmers?

Developers follow the money. Where are the stories of the developers making money through Android?

Apple has down a great job of making things easy for the end user.

Creating a version per carrier per vendor has been tried by many (motorola) and was and still is a nightmare to manage.

How is Android different from Windows Mobile conceptually? Android is just another Linux distro from Google for a mobile platform.

I still don't see where it's superior...

:lmao2:

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
kapolani;3448730 said:
Exactly.

And then they go to the engineers and leave it to us to figure it out and make it work.

I didn't mean to belittle anyone's occupation. But, trying to be cute and take a stab at me with some VB bullcrap...

Meh...

That's true but the "architects" are the ones making the bigger paycheck and the ones that still have a job once the company adopts outsourcing.

Regardless, there is a need for all those positions in IT but overall, I agree with you Architects aren't going to be as technical as the folks that actually implement the design.

kapolani

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3448830 said:
That's true but the "architects" are the ones making the bigger paycheck and the ones that still have a job once the company adopts outsourcing.

You don't outsource the kind of work I do.

Maybe for e-commerce apps.

Real time/embedded programming, no.

It's not unheard of for programmers in my field getting paid six figures after five years working. I've been doing my job for 10 years. Straight out of college 75k ~ 85k was the norm. Not sure what they are getting now.

Regardless, there is a need for all those positions in IT but overall, I agree with you Architects aren't going to be as technical as the folks that actually implement the design.

I didn't say they weren't needed.

All I'm saying is an engineer at my level can do the same thing as system engineers/architects. In fact, we often times do that all ourselves. Conversely, not all system engineers/architects can program and implement the design.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
theogt;3448240 said:
I would have agreed before the iPhone 4. But this thing is way ahead of everything else out there right now. There may be phones that can match the hardware, but when you add in design and UI, I wouldn't consider anything else personally.

Honestly, the only thing that it does better than any other phone out there, for the moment, is have a higher screen resolution and that's only for a short period of time. Samsung is going to take that crown very shortly.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
kapolani;3448597 said:
Nexus One?

That piece of crap?

You mean the one that Google has stopped making/selling because it flopped horrifically?

That one?

It's actually a really nice phone. It's since been passed up in technology by other phones, but it's still got a real nice screen, a 1 ghz Snapdragon proc, and gets OTA Android updates before every other Android device.

Google is still selling them on their website at the moment. Rumors are that there will be a Nexus Two, but Google won't be selling them directly to customers. They'll be working with T-Mobile and selling them through stores this time around.

That was their mistake last time. The hardware was great. The OS was great. Their approach was wrong.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Ozzu;3448947 said:
Honestly, the only thing that it does better than any other phone out there, for the moment, is have a higher screen resolution and that's only for a short period of time. Samsung is going to take that crown very shortly.

It has a better video and still camera than anything else out there.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
TheCount;3449078 said:
It has a better video and still camera than anything else out there.

I'd say the still camera could be debated, but I would agree on the video camera. I've yet to see a review that doesn't say it's better than any other phone's video camera.

CowBoyRod

Reaction score
I just watched Futurama and they were paroding the new "eyePhone" with a display in your "Retina" I was laughing soo much!!!!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Ozzu;3449133 said:
I'd say the still camera could be debated, but I would agree on the video camera. I've yet to see a review that doesn't say it's better than any other phone's video camera.
Better camera, better design, better UI, better display, better app store. And no phone out there has a better processor/memory combination.

I think that puts it heads and shoulders above all other phones out there. You can disagree with any or all of those, but none of them are controversial statements. I doubt you can find a phone that can make all of those claims in reverse with a straight face.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
CowBoyRod;3449135 said:
I just watched Futurama and they were paroding the new "eyePhone" with a display in your "Retina" I was laughing soo much!!!!

Futurama still comes on tv?

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
theogt;3449146 said:
Better camera, better design, better UI, better display, better app store. And no phone out there has a better processor/memory combination.

I think that puts it heads and shoulders above all other phones out there. You can disagree with any or all of those, but none of them are controversial statements. I doubt you can find a phone that can make all of those claims in reverse with a straight face.

I would personally disagree with some of those, but you're right, none of those are controversial statements.

I see your point. :D

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Here's your "Fix": http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tec_apple_iphone_complaints

Apple `stunned' to find iPhones show too many bars
By PETER SVENSSON, AP Technology Writer Peter Svensson, Ap Technology Writer 25 mins ago

NEW YORK – Apple Inc. said Friday that it was "stunned" to find that its iPhones have for years been using a "totally wrong" formula to determine how many bars of signal strength they are getting.

Apple said that's the reason behind widespread complaints from users that the latest model, iPhone 4, can show a sudden plunge in signal strength when they hold it in a way that covers a small black strip on one edge of the phone. Users online have jokingly called this the "death grip" for the phone.

That drop seems exaggerated because the phone can wrongly display four or five bars of signal strength when it shouldn't, Apple said.

"Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place," the company said in a letter to users.

--------------

So basically the fix is to simply reduce how many bars are shown when the antenna is covered. They don't think it's a shorting issue as has been suggested, but are just going visually pacify the user.

Unfortunately for them, there has been actual proof that covering the antenna does in fact drop data throughput, so not sure how they're going to justify that one.

The fact of the matter is that the LOCATION of the antenna is what causes people to cover it up in the first place, and it does have an actual effect on your reception and your data speed. Of course no word of that in the Apple press release.

Futher analyzed on Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/apple-iphone-4-reception-problems-a-software-issue-fix-coming/http://gizmodo.com/5578202/apple-cl...problem-is-caused-by-incorrect-signal-display

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Wow. Apple is in a tailspin on this issue. How can they really be this ignorant?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Here is the offical statement from Apple.

LINK

==========

July 2, 2010
Letter from Apple Regarding iPhone 4

Dear iPhone 4 Users,

The iPhone 4 has been the most successful product launch in Apple’s history. It has been judged by reviewers around the world to be the best smartphone ever, and users have told us that they love it. So we were surprised when we read reports of reception problems, and we immediately began investigating them. Here is what we have learned.

To start with, gripping almost any mobile phone in certain ways will reduce its reception by 1 or more bars. This is true of iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, as well as many Droid, Nokia and RIM phones. But some users have reported that iPhone 4 can drop 4 or 5 bars when tightly held in a way which covers the black strip in the lower left corner of the metal band. This is a far bigger drop than normal, and as a result some have accused the iPhone 4 of having a faulty antenna design.

At the same time, we continue to read articles and receive hundreds of emails from users saying that iPhone 4 reception is better than the iPhone 3GS. They are delighted. This matches our own experience and testing. What can explain all of this?

We have discovered the cause of this dramatic drop in bars, and it is both simple and surprising.

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don’t know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&T’s recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone’s bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the same— the iPhone 4’s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. For the vast majority of users who have not been troubled by this issue, this software update will only make your bars more accurate. For those who have had concerns, we apologize for any anxiety we may have caused.

As a reminder, if you are not fully satisfied, you can return your undamaged iPhone to any Apple Retail Store or the online Apple Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.

We hope you love the iPhone 4 as much as we do.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Apple

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;3449301 said:
Wow. Apple is in a tailspin on this issue. How can they really be this ignorant?

I think it's safe to assume they aren't ignorant at all. Like a lot of companies when something like this crops up, they are trying to cover their *** by playing games with the consumer.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The iphone4 is hugely cooler than anything Android's doing right now, and the Apple backlash is silly. They made this market, they lead it by a mile, and they continue to push the boundaries.

That said, this is pretty funny: youtube > search: iPhone4 vs HTC Evo.
I can't direct link because the audio contains some vulgarity that's NSFCZ.